Directv vs Directv Stream

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
Out of the two , which is the better option to go with ?? Streaming can eat up data especially since I have Comcast and they have a cap . I want to switch from them to directv .

you can rent one of there modems i dunno know what one but they do have a modem that gets rid of the data caps. i think it's like $30.00 a month. personaly i would run like hell from anything that ATT has there hands on as they f**k it up!!! and i would run like hell run like my hair was on fire form anything directv!!!

Out of the two , which is the better option to go with ?? Streaming can eat up data especially since I have Comcast and they have a cap . I want to switch from them to directv .
Call Comcast and switch to xFi Advantage, it is $15 a month, includes the modem and router rental charge, you get unlimited data then.

Reactions: John2021
if it were me. i'm not a streamer no 1. but i also can't wrap my head around paying $89.99 for a lousy 90 channels!!! if i were you id'e run the numbers..

Reactions: reddice
if it were me. i'm not a streamer no 1. but i also can't wrap my head around paying $89.99 for a lousy 90 channels!!! if i were you id'e run the numbers..
I cannot imagine paying that and more then that ( most DirecTV sat subscribers) for even more channels, the vast majority of them show nothing but reruns.

Go thru your channel list and see which ones produce new content and how much new content, you will be surprised.

I cannot imagine paying that and more then that ( most DirecTV sat subscribers) for even more channels, the vast majority of them show nothing but reruns.

Go thru your channel list and see which ones produce new content and how much new content, you will be surprised.
completely agree that t.v. is nothing more than reruns and commericals

completely agree that t.v. is nothing more than reruns and commericals
You write that, yet you are critical of someone paying $89.99 for only 90 channels ( your words), so if someone pays for more channels, they are getting even more reruns?

You also write that you do not stream, yet that is where the majority of new content has moved to and at a less expensive price.

Reactions: comp9
Whether or not the Comcast data cap is something you need to worry about depends (obviously) on how many hours per day you would be watching DirecTV Stream. Comcast gives you 1.25 terabytes (TB) of data per month, which is equal to 10 million megabits (Mb). DirecTV Stream in 1080p streams at about 8 Mbps (megabits per second). (I presume that 720p channels stream at a somewhat lower bitrate.) So your full monthly data cap of 1.25 TB would give you 1,250,000 seconds of viewing DirecTV Stream in 1080p, which is equivalent to 347.2 hours. That comes out to an average of 11 hours, 34 minutes per day. Of course, if you watched that much DirecTV Stream across all your TVs/screens every day, that wouldn't leave you with any data to be used for other internet usage. So maybe check and see how much data you're already using per month to get an idea of how much data you'd need in addition to watching cable TV via DirecTV Stream.

I'll say this: my parents switched from satellite to YouTube TV at the end of last year. They probably only watch a daily average of 3 hours of TV across both of their TVs. And YouTube TV does have a little lower bitrate (and picture quality) than DirecTV Stream. But they never come anywhere close to 1.25 TB of data usage per month. Instead, they only use anywhere from 200 to 400 GB (0.2 to 0.4 TB) each month. Other than streaming TV, they do some light web surfing, home phone over the internet, and a bit of music streaming.

You write that, yet you are critical of someone paying $89.99 for only 90 channels ( your words), so if someone pays for more channels, they are getting even more reruns?

You also write that you do not stream, yet that is where the majority of new content has moved to and at a less expensive price.
He does this with everything

i have had directv for years, currently testing directv stream, as i just got broadband.
channels are very similar, numbers are the same, which helps.
im using the app on a firestick, pretty straight forward and simple.
pic quality seems to be the same, with the edges to stream.
its only been a few days, but so far i think i will stick with stream

And why would i or anyone pay more for less channels when you can get double the channels for less??? most shows on the idiot box today are reruns and reality shows wich are the cheapest to produce!! i can see using DTV stream across the pond with a vpn!!! wich violates the TOS

And why would i or anyone pay more for less channels when you can get double the channels for less??? most shows on the idiot box today are reruns and reality shows wich are the cheapest to produce!! i can see using DTV stream across the pond with a vpn!!! wich violates the TOS
I'm a Directv customer and most likely moving to Directv stream soon. Why? They are the only streaming service with YES.

Reactions: John2021