DIRECTV Vs. Dish Network HD quality

nameduser

Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Wisconsin
Yeah, I know you guys have probably heard this question, like, 3 billion times, so sorry about that.

Just wanted to know if the rumor/myth of DIRECTV having (slightly?) better HD quality than Dish Network was true.

Thanks.

imho it does, but seeing it depend son your tv capability, pic size, and viewing distance

We have 2 identical 42" LCD TVs in our office hooked up with HDMI. A 722 and a HR24. As much as I hate to admit it (a am a Dish fan) the DTV picture quality is better, on HD anyway.

I can't say. Poor setups of Dish Network at Radio Shack and Sears, where the live feeds have a limited selection of HD, I can't do enough comparison. What I did see, such as with Lifetime Movie Network HD, appeared to be no problem with Dish Network. Given that I have been with DirecTV more than 10 years, I have no problem with the HD quality from this company.

I would focus on content. If there is little or no difference between the two, the better choice is the one with a lineup that comes closer to meeting your own criteria.

While the VIP receivers do have their advantages these minor things make the D* DVR's better in my opinion
-can easily delete programs form the list on D*...E* requires extra button pushes
-when you watch a program it "fades" on the list. Not played items are brighter..,..E* they're all the same
-timers are soooo much easier to set up on D*...one push to record, 2 for reoccurring...Dish's is painful sometimes

While the VIP receivers do have their advantages these minor things make the D* DVR's better in my opinion
-can easily delete programs form the list on D*...E* requires extra button pushes
-when you watch a program it "fades" on the list. Not played items are brighter..,..E* they're all the same
-timers are soooo much easier to set up on D*...one push to record, 2 for reoccurring...Dish's is painful sometimes
D* has a superior search as well as guide information
i have used the view upcoming soooo many times i dont know if i could go without it again

Once the HD GUI become national, Direct will have the edge there as well.

I will also add that DirecTV's DVRs have more interactive features

I had DirecTV HD for 3 years and now I have Dish HD, honestly if there is a difference in picture quality it is not noticeable. They seem to be about the same quality. I think it more depends on the CHANNEL than the provider. Some channels just have higher quality HD. ESPN and Discovery seem to usually have very good picture quality. On the other hand, I've watched programs in "HD" on BBC America HD and G4 HD that seem barely better than their standard definition counterparts.

I have both, i have dish network and started working as a tech for mastec, an installer for directv and got there hsp, my directv is wayway better, picture does not compair, and the search with the youtube vids as well blows anything away i have seen in tv, the active channal is great to, my little ones play the match game on there,
it also has the crime watch for my town, anything that happans comes up on my tv, i am not saying this cuz i install them, it is just true, if your gonna have directv make sure you put it online, it is well worth it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)