Comcast HSI wired vs wireless speed

mcintire123

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Pennsylvania, United States
I have HSI through Comcast with IP phone also. I have the comcast issued Arris modem with telephony built in and built-in wireless access point. With the "Blast" package advertised at 20 Mb/s down with my wired connection I can achieve 38 Mb/s down but with the same computer and my laptop wireless I can only achieve 16 down speed even with wireless "N" connection. Anyone have any ideas on why? I have pondered this for awhile and yes, what people say about the fact that tweaking wireless settings on a win7 pc has no effect seems to be true. Looks like wireless N is a smoke and mirrors protocol.

It's probably your Acess Point. I have a netgear router with wireless "N". My comcast rates are only suppose to be about 16Mb/s with boast. I commonly get 20-24Mb/s over the wireless and about the same on the wired. You may want to check to see if you have other devices hooked up that are limiting your actual wireless speeds. These other devices may be limiting your speeds to "G" rates.

You may also want to look at the settings on the router to see if one of the options for the wireless is not set correctly for "N" devices too.

It's probably your Acess Point. I have a netgear router with wireless "N". My comcast rates are only suppose to be about 16Mb/s with boast. I commonly get 20-24Mb/s over the wireless and about the same on the wired. You may want to check to see if you have other devices hooked up that are limiting your actual wireless speeds. These other devices may be limiting your speeds to "G" rates.

You may also want to look at the settings on the router to see if one of the options for the wireless is not set correctly for "N" devices too.

I have the router set straight to N.... And currently all I have on it is my laptop. I tried havin a new modem/AP put in and its the same...

the arris 852 is a glorified pos imo as a comcast tech. There are several issues with them, I wouldnt doubt its the transmit from the ap itself. Id call up comcast request a 722 (most advanced model without wireless) and get yourself a good netgear n router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)