Directv vs Verizon FIOS Offer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kmcallis1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Verizon is looking to add a franchise in my community sometime next year. Franchise vote is June 9th and I can't see it being voted down since my area is poorly served by Cablevision.

My question is side by side what is better? DTV has Sunday Ticket, that is all I can see. Verizon can bundle its service with DSL and the home phone which could save people a lot of money up here in New Jersey.

With the deep pockets of Verizon, I wonder if they'll make a run at Sunday Ticket when the exclusivity contract expires...think it was 2010.

Just wanted to put it out their. Any thoughts?

kmcallis1 said:
With the deep pockets of Verizon, I wonder if they'll make a run at Sunday Ticket when the exclusivity contract expires...think it was 2010.

To tell you the truth, I have a feeling the NFL has plans that are going to make NFLST a thing of the past. Namely, I think they finally asked themselves exactly WHY the networks are willing to pay so much for the rights to broadcast their games. In other words, I think the 8 games on the NFL Network this season along with the fact that the NFL network broadcasted the Draft in direct competition against ESPN signals to me that they would like it it to all be 'in house'. If they do that, they can sell it to any broadcaster, be it DBS, FIOS, or otherwise, for whatever they want.
Hmm, the CBS and Fox deals expire in 2011 and NBC in 2012, right after NFLST with D* expires. We're talking about an exclusive group of 32 men with enough money to do whatever they want, which is usually to make more money.
I'm not saying it's definitely happening, but I bet my left one that they're working really hard on the idea.
And if that happens in 2010, 2011 will be the year DirecTV becomes a footnote in broadcast history.

I think things are changing but that multi-billion dollar Sunday Ticket contract with D* is pretty good money. Chances are D* will renew again. Of course, that means ST will be $500 with $99 Super Flunky add on.

I dunno about that. baseball is making decent change on having games on the Net (as type this, I'm watching the Mets-Yankees game on the 'Net because it isn't on Extra Innings.

I suspect the NFL would like the money directly from us...and may let us order all of our team's games for $159 on the Net. Very few people care about having all 16 games, at least in terms of percentage of overall ST buyers, most want to see their team.

I don't see why the NFLST would leave D*.

D* pays an unreal amount of money (a loss leader for sure) to the NFL for the rights to broadcast the games. It doesn't look like Dish cares about picking it up and cable co's are so fragmented as to the areas they cover. If say, Comcast bought rights to the NFLST, it would leave out those in non-Comcast areas. Without the guarantee that virtually all cable companies would buy in, I don't see the NFL selling it to cable. The NFL has a good deal with D*. I bet it continues on past the 2010 expiration date.

FWIW, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The NFLST is the glue that keeps me a D* subscriber. They know that the NFLST subs are loyal to a fault.

Anybody know how many out of the total number of D* subs are NFLST subs? I thought I heard something like 2-3 million of the total. Anyone know?

Guys thanks for the chatter.

I thought I'd just mention the Directv vs. Verizon issue as food for thought. I am a DTV subscriber since fall 99 and have had NFLST ever since. That is the only reason I have Directv. An added + is I no longer deal with Cablevision here which was nothing more than a nightmare from the moment they turned my service on in Summer of 98.

With the changeover to HD, I still have an issue with LOS in my neighborhood with 119. Too many trees. Verizon would not present this problem + they have deep enough pockets to at least regionally purchase NFLST. By 2010-12 their buildout will be substantial in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic and getting NFLST would only further this penetration. Just food for thought. As far as National coverage, would NFLST do better by just opening it up to everybody, DTV, Dish, Cable, Phone, and Internet in 2010-2012?? Just a question, seems like the more subscribers the more they could charge ala ESPN. The question is is the guaranteed money from DTV over a contract term going to outweight the $ per sub they could get by just offering it to everyone. I'd say their approach with NFL Network says a lot as bigpro noted. I know here in NJ, DTV is currently the only carrier of NFL Network with the Cable companies scrambling to add the service for this fall.

Anyway, something to think about. Now if only I could sneak out and cut down some of my neighbor's trees.

No provider can offer "everything" yet; if ever with all the fighting that lives. AND as Lou just mentioned, its just another cable company; its a great, small cable company, with awesome internet speeds, with great bundled packages, which I might look at IF it ever get to my area. How long will that be? With all the time it has taken for DirecTV to roll out (serving NATIONAL users) causing people to whine and complain, FiOS will move just as slow in comparison. I'll stay with DirecTV for now, NFL ST is a big vote getter, but IF FiOS gets here I will at least be honest enough to look.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts