DirecTV weaker signal in Cayman Islands

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rmtoberman

Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I have DirecTV in the Cayman Islands and at around 8:30pm the signal starts going out every night. I have a 6ft dish pointed to 119. The local dealer (They only sell Dish Network) said that DirecTV signals for satellite 119 is weaker than it used to be and doesn't work well as of December. Does anyone know if this is true.

It has been said that DirecTV "tightened" or "shrunk" their satellite coverage beams over the last year or so; whether or not that would harm your reception is an experts guess; if it is even happening

Is DirecTV "intended" for use/sale in the Caymans?

Also, DirecTV 7S at 119.0° really does not hold much in the way of regular programming. It has a some spot LiL, 3 or 4 HD nationals, HD DNS, and some (or all) of the Hispanic Para Todos programming (chnls in the 400's).

What are you trying to receive?

the 119 sat is also where the main sat for Dish network is located. That's probably why the Dish installer pointed it there. :)

Since you can "see" the 119 you should be able to see the core DirecTV sat at 101. I would realign that dish to 101.

I am sorry, I must be wrong, it is probably pointed to 101. I don't have an HD TV or box, so I don't need HD channels.
The "shrunk" signal might be the problem, thanks.

I live in Little Cayman. I have a 8' dish pointed at 101 and recieve all channels except hd and locals.

seaitch said:
I live in Little Cayman. I have a 8' dish pointed at 101 and recieve all channels except hd and locals.

Visiting grand cayman. Dish supplies the westin. Only about 15 channels. In my journeys in cayman
I have not seen many dishes?
I must say getting ny locals in cayman is very cool. Since moving to Florida 10 years
Ago I have not seen Ny tv. Boy have I missed it.
Next time I plan a trip it won't be tourist season. Too many folks down here.

i set up direct_tv in caymam and it works fine you will loss some chn for a ferw hours in the Eve.. also i just up graded from using the Aspen DTV 32+ Lnb's to a Unversal one and i have seen so far in my testing the last 48 hrs the a diffrence in singnal. i have 2 other to tes(LNB'S)t to see if it really makes a diffrence and see what works best. i think you would be pointed to 101W. i have set up a few HD systems and you need the 8ft to hit it and not have any probs but as you know the cost of an 8ft on this island is out the roof so only a few ppl have them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts