DirecTV when at vacation home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grindervol

Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Tennessee
Just got DirecTV at my home (Main box + 3 others). I have a vacation cabin we use 100 miles away across the state line. The cabin has a directv dish already installed from the previous owner. If i take the main receiver to the cabin and hook it up to the directv dish there will it work as long as we arent using it at the main residence? If so, any set up issues to be bringing the receiver back and forth?

Just got DirecTV at my home (Main box + 3 others). I have a vacation cabin we use 100 miles away across the state line. The cabin has a directv dish already installed from the previous owner. If i take the main receiver to the cabin and hook it up to the directv dish there will it work as long as we arent using it at the main residence? If so, any set up issues to be bringing the receiver back and forth?
You would have to confirm that its the same try of dish set up you currently have .... If so, yes it should work.

IF you have a current dissh set up and its a SWM set up, you'll have to see if there is still a Power Insertor up there, or bring one with you to power the LNB, IF they are the same type set ups, you'll be good, if not, you'll want o change set ups if you want to do thins.

Really more info is needed.

In addition to what Jimbo posted, what local DMA are you in? Is the cabin in the same DMA? If not, 100 miles isn't that far so your locals SHOULD work there, but be prepared that there is the chance that you would be out of range for them.

do you have a genie2? tower looking unit?
if so you will need it and a mini

can you post all the receiver models?

Probably no.

You likely have a genie and 3 clients.

For the clients to work they must be on the same system as the genie.

To accomplish what I think you want to accomplish you will likely need to purchase an H25 or an HR24 and pay another $7 per month.

You may need to upgrade the dish also at the other location unless you get the HR24 or an H24 which will also work with legacy systems, but not all legacy systems can get an HD signal, thus a dish upgrade may still be required.

If the OP has a Genie 2, they would not be able to add anything other than clients so the H25/HR24 idea wouldn't work.

Probably no.

You likely have a genie and 3 clients.

For the clients to work they must be on the same system as the genie.

To accomplish what I think you want to accomplish you will likely need to purchase an H25 or an HR24 and pay another $7 per month.

You may need to upgrade the dish also at the other location unless you get the HR24 or an H24 which will also work with legacy systems, but not all legacy systems can get an HD signal, thus a dish upgrade may still be required.
He said he wanted to take the main box to the cabin, so yes, it will work as long as the dish is compatible.

Bottom line, if he has an HR44 or HR54 he can take that. If any of the other boxes are clients, they won't work on their own. If he has an HS17, he needs to take it and a client to the cabin.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)