DIRECTV will offer more than 40 High-Definition TV channels by next summer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrin

Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
EDWARDSVILLE, ILL
http://www.tvpredictions.com/hillhd112906.htm

New York, NY (November 29, 2006) -- DIRECTV will offer more than 40 High-Definition TV channels by next summer, according to David Hill, the satcaster's entertainment president.

In an interview with TVPredictions.com, Hill was probed for how many high-def channels DIRECTV would provide when its two new satellites were operational in mid-2007.

Would it be 40?, Hill was asked.

"Oh, more than that," he said. However, Hill refused to give a more specific number.

DIRECTV next year is scheduled to launch two satellites designed to increase its national HDTV channel capacity to 150. The satcaster now offers fewer than 10 national high-def networks.

In a keynote speech at the HD World Conference and Exposition in New York, Hill said the two satellites would be ready in "mid-2007."

Welcome & thanks, but this was already posted in another thread, just not its own. Lets hope that they are "quality" offerings and not just crap to fill a "number" like the others.

What 40 channels are they going to be, are there even 40 HD channels now not counting Voom and 16 NFL games in HD on separate channels do not count.

Well other than the few they don't have (excluding voom and other channels excluded from the market somehow) they have been talking up a set of channels similar to voom but created by FOX I think. Heck, most of what they don't have 24/7 they do show what little HD programs those channels do offer, examples the NFL Network and the RSNs. Maybe they are also aware of new offerings on the horizon.

This is still updated: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html?tag=txt

...not if they can't improve on the so-far sorry performance of their MPEG4 receivers, ESPECIALLY the DVR, whose software is currently a mess!

DirecTV has a rather poor record of delivering in a promised timeframe. Fall at the earliest.

Note it says "more than 40" not "more than 40 NATIONAL channels." They're just counting local HD channels. Not sure there will be more than 40 national channels by then.

The 40+ MIGHT include all thecurrent channels, PLUS the remaining 2-4 24/7 HD premiums, along with channels like MHD, HGTV-HD, FoodNetwork-HD, Wealth-HD, etc as well as their own rumored new FOX-branded HD service (voom-like) that has yet to be announced. Also, we have to hope at least a few other current channels offer up an HD version between 1/1/07 and 9/1/07. All that could total to an additional 40 easy I would guess; without ever counting ANY RSN or LIL HD channels..

Last edited:
other national channels might switch to HD by then as well, hopefully tbs and comedy central and spike do...well, tbs, possible, but comedy central and spike will go bankrupt before they get HD studios ;)

Let's go over all the current HD channels available via Satellite(Conus) from Lyngsat.
Not counting Locals, Voom and or Existing Directv HD channels.

OLN-HD
Spice HD (Full Time)
Showtime West HD
HBO West-HD
Outdoor Channel 2-HD
A&E East-HD
The History Channel East-HD
National Geographic Channel-HD
Starz HD East
Starz HD West
Cinemax HDTV East
Cinemax HDTV West
Braves TV-HD
WealthTV-HD
NESN-HD
WGN-HD
HGTV HD
Food Network-HD
The Movie Channel HD

So I DO see 40+ HD Channels a reality with Directv.. I am glad I am with Directv and not with the "other" guys. :D

Last edited:
Let's go over all the current HD channels available via Satellite(Conus) from Lyngsat.
Not counting Locals, Voom and or Existing Directv HD channels.

OLN-HD
Spice HD (Full Time)
Showtime West HD
HBO West-HD
Outdoor Channel 2-HD
A&E East-HD
The History Channel East-HD
National Geographic Channel-HD
Starz HD East
Starz HD West
Cinemax HDTV East
Cinemax HDTV West
Braves TV-HD
WealthTV-HD
NESN-HD
WGN-HD
HGTV HD
Food Network-HD
The Movie Channel HD

So I DO see 40+ HD Channels a reality with Directv.. I am glad I am with Directv and not with the "other" guys. :D

LOL, and how do you how many channels the "other guys" will have then.

In addition to adding HD channels as a result of the 2 new satellites, I hope DTV also uses some bandwidth from those satellites to improve SD transmissions, especially on NFL football. As it stands now, the PQ of SD football games is pitiful, and far short of the "DVD Quality" that they tout for SD programming.

Jeff

Mr. Negativity is back!

They will have whatever they can add to the bandwidth they have at the time, but no more.

AND they still wont have the NLF ST/ST-HD or the FOX voom-like package if/when it materializes sometime late 2007.

So what's your point; other than the usual negativity?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)