DIRECTV will offer more than 40 High-Definition TV channels by next summer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbos: Sorry you missed it.
Sea Launch announced (last May) it has signed a firm contract with EchoStar Communications to launch the EchoStar XI Direct Broadcast Satellite in 2007.

The FAA forecast last May a late 2008 launch of Echostar XIII. See page 11 (18/64).

The 129 slot Dish uses is a Canadian slot, and Ciel is expected to launch to that slot in late 2008. Presumably Dish will continue to use that slot and lease space from Ciel.

Both players have plans for more launches. And I think there's still a third potential entrant to the market- sorry I don't recall their name or if they're still pursuing it.

Jimbos: Sorry you missed it.
Sea Launch announced (last May) it has signed a firm contract with EchoStar Communications to launch the EchoStar XI Direct Broadcast Satellite in 2007.

The FAA forecast last May a late 2008 launch of Echostar XIII. See page 11 (18/64).

The 129 slot Dish uses is a Canadian slot, and Ciel is expected to launch to that slot in late 2008. Presumably Dish will continue to use that slot and lease space from Ciel.

Both players have plans for more launches. And I think there's still a third potential entrant to the market- sorry I don't recall their name or if they're still pursuing it.

Very good information.Now the only other thing that people need to know is,are these satellites going up for E* replacement satellites ?or will they be new dedicated to HD satellites like the 2 satellites that D* is having launched?.

Last edited:
You forgat NFL-HD

Let's go over all the current HD channels available via Satellite(Conus) from Lyngsat.
Not counting Locals, Voom and or Existing Directv HD channels.

OLN-HD
Spice HD (Full Time)
Showtime West HD
HBO West-HD
Outdoor Channel 2-HD
A&E East-HD
The History Channel East-HD
National Geographic Channel-HD
Starz HD East
Starz HD West
Cinemax HDTV East
Cinemax HDTV West
Braves TV-HD
WealthTV-HD
NESN-HD
WGN-HD
HGTV HD
Food Network-HD
The Movie Channel HD

So I DO see 40+ HD Channels a reality with Directv.. I am glad I am with Directv and not with the "other" guys. :D

Very good information.Now the only other thing that people need to know is,are these satellites going up for E* replacement satellites ?or will they be new dedicated to HD satellites like the 2 satellites that D* is having launched?.

You beat me to it Jhon69,
Thats exactly what I was going to ask next.

Navy,
Thanks for the info,
I did miss it.

I don't frequent the DISH forums as much as I probably should.
Are they slated for HD or just replacements ?

Jimbo

Here is the ones I come up with. And there is no sence putting East & West since we will only get one or the other.

A & E HD
Skinamax HD
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HGTV HD
History Channel HD
INHD/INHD2
MHD The Movie Channel HD
National Geographic HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
OLN HD
OLN 2 HD
Spice HD
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Wealth TV

Here is the ones I come up with. And there is no sence putting East & West since we will only get one or the other.

A & E HD
Skinamax HD
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HGTV HD
History Channel HD
INHD/INHD2
MHD The Movie Channel HD
National Geographic HD
NBA HD
NFL HD
OLN HD
OLN 2 HD
Spice HD
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Wealth TV

If you are refering to East and West movie channels, we do currently get both coast, why is that going to change ?

Here is the listing again from my other post. They do a fairly good job of keeping it updated. They choose not to list adult channels, but is Spice HD still around and F/T? Also, I think Playboy has one as well, correct?

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html

A&E HD
Cinamax HD
Discovery HD Theater
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Food Network HD
HBO HDTV
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HGTV HD
History Channel HD (Has anyone seen just how much HD they really have yet?)
INHD/INHD2 (INHD 2 is going away)
MHD
The Movie Channel HD
National Geographic HD
NBA HD (Are they F/T yet or still just the game of the week?)
NFL HD (I assume this means the NFL Network, not the NFL Sunday Ticket HD? They are 2 separate things. This also is not F/T HD?)
OLN HD (Are they F/T yet or still just the NHL games?)
OLN 2 HD (Is this a legit F/T channel)
Showtime HDTV
Starz HD
TNT-HD
Universal HD
Wealth TV (Can someone please point me to a listing of their HD shows? I am interested in seeing what and how much they offer.)

Last edited:

Unless something has changed - ECHOSTAR XI is a backup bird.

From the Loral sebsite at time of announcement;
http://www.ssloral.com/html/pressreleases/pr20041220.html

I think you are referring to what is now Versus, and Comcra... er, Comcast will be going with a hybrid Golf HD/Versus HD channel starting next month.

OLN2 is NOT a legit HD channel, Outdoor Channel 2HD is what you're thinking of. See here: http://www.outdoorchannel.com/index.cfm?site=2.

Not me, I was just using / copied what the OP of that list sent and added my link to an updated listing of real offerings and also added my questions in (). I wasn't going to confuse him or start any arguments over the names; I knew what he meant. I did edit his list a tiny bit by separating "MHD and
The Movie Channel HD" from the same line.

"...Are they slated for HD or just replacements ?..."

I don't know, I've been trying to find out. I guess whatever they plan now could change anyway. That backup comment was from 2004- they may have changed since then.

With their new video over ethernet, I guess some of the pressure is off for more bandwidth. Some, not all. And it could be years before it's activated- we'll see. Might be some news on it tonight.
Wealth TV listing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)