Directv with HD in Calgary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teevee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I live in Calgary (Canada) and will be setting up a Directv system with HD. Anyone in the area know how good reception is here? I was considering the new Slimline 5 LNB dish. Is this the one to get or should I just get the older 3 lnb dish. Just want to make sure I get the right dish to give me the HD channels and a good signal.
Thanks.

Get the slimline. the 3lnb won't give you HD very much longer (a year ish). You should be good in Calgary with the slimline.

I know the slimline has the new KU lnb....will that be useless here. Is that only for spot beamed channels? Are you using slimline?

I know the slimline has the new KU lnb....will that be useless here. Is that only for spot beamed channels? Are you using slimline?

Ya you mean KA, it is used for spot beam locals and MPEG4 HD which is what all HD on DTV will be in the future (ie less than a year).

Sorry yes KA. I gotcha. If I want HD, will need this bad boy. Hopefully KA signal will be okay here.

Understand that reception of DIRECTV in Canada is against Canadian law. US policy also prohibits DIRECTV from offering their services to Canadian customers.

First off, let me state that in this instance there is some irony to your nickname, harshness... LOL!

Expressing your opinion which isn't directly related to the thread is likely to do more harm than good as it relates to the purpose of the thread. Several others -- who's opinions will differ -- will also likely post here now (which is their right) on an off-topic basis. So I have to ask: if this kind of discussion is so verboten why haven't the admins stated such?

My understanding is this site is for the purposes of sharing information, not an interrogation as to what someone might do with it. Life is too short -- enjoy it when you can.

First off, let me state that in this instance there is some irony to your nickname, harshness... LOL!

Expressing your opinion which isn't directly related to the thread is likely to do more harm than good as it relates to the purpose of the thread. Several others -- who's opinions will differ -- will also likely post here now (which is their right) on an off-topic basis. So I have to ask: if this kind of discussion is so verboten why haven't the admins stated such?

My understanding is this site is for the purposes of sharing information, not an interrogation as to what someone might do with it. Life is too short -- enjoy it when you can.

It wasn't a statement of opinion, but a statement of facts and laws. How can it be harmful to let the OP know that there may be serious ramifications to his intended course of action? If this site is meant for the purposes of sharing information, why not ensure that all appropriate information is shared, not just what somebody wants to hear?

Personally, I will no longer contribute to any discussions on how to violate a TOS or applicable laws other than to remind people that it does violate the TOS/law.

While we don't prohibit discussion of this subject, I think it is important that it is mentioned that it violate the terms of service, just like discussions about "moving".

That said, let's all keep our cool. Harshness did nothing wrong, didn't "piss on the cornflakes". What he wrote is accurate and important.

To answer the original questions (again) - you're best with the slimline.

It wasn't a statement of opinion, but a statement of facts and laws. How can it be harmful to let the OP know that there may be serious ramifications to his intended course of action? If this site is meant for the purposes of sharing information, why not ensure that all appropriate information is shared, not just what somebody wants to hear?

Personally, I will no longer contribute to any discussions on how to violate a TOS or applicable laws other than to remind people that it does violate the TOS/law.

From what I understand, it's kind of a "gray market" kind of like "moving".

actually it isn't...and I'm not being the dish police, I'm just going by what the CRTC says

a Canadian subscribing to Dish or direct? technically illegal
a US citizen subscribing to Star Choice or ExpressVu? grey area

Good. I'll remind you of that the next time I see you posting in a thread about "moving".

actually it isn't...and I'm not being the dish police, I'm just going by what the CRTC says

a Canadian subscribing to Dish or direct? technically illegal
a US citizen subscribing to Star Choice or ExpressVu? grey area

I wonder why Canada takes a harder line on it than the US? You'd think it would be the other way around. Unless it has something to do with Canada wanting to control content.

I wonder why Canada takes a harder line on it than the US? You'd think it would be the other way around. Unless it has something to do with Canada wanting to control content.

IIRC, it is something like that. From a similar thread

I don't believe it is a matter of DirecTV wanting to sell it for legal reasons, it just not financially viable for them. The costs of complying with the Canadian content rules forced by the CRTC on broadcasters & broadcaster license cost all spread over a relatively small target market would make it a negative business case. I am not sure, but Canadian ownership laws may be applicable too.

As to your post before this one, you do that. :D

I am well aware. Thanks for the reminder Hashness.

However I would like to hear from anyone else especially in the Calgary area on this rather then see posts about whether it's legal or not. Thank

Update...got my 5 lnb slimline dish...installed it myself in Calgary using Acutrac III sat finder....works great.

I have Direct TV in Calgary with the Slim Line and am getting geat signal strength. Had it professional installed in les that an hour. I have had Direct for over 10 years and much prefer the HD content and variety over the other 2 services I have from Bell and Shaw.

Who cares about the technicality of it and the legality, just f*******do it!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)