DirecTV won't go on my roof to replace bad LNB ... ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So I am taking this to mean that the subcontractors try harder to get signals?
No, it means dtv corporate and dish network both have a policy in effect that does not allow their employees to get off of their ladder, meaning the dish has to be accessible from a ladder. Now if you buy your directv from a local retailer and they install it themselves, they dont technically work for directv, they install and sell the service but do not work for the company so they can install the dish wherever they want

Whenever this subject comes up, no one can ever answer this simple question: If Directv is so supposedly against it, how on earth do all those dishes get up there?
I am not trying to be difficult, but I simply cannot understand how so many installers will come on here and say they don't do it, but it's the majority of the installs I have seen in VT, NH, NY, MA, VA, and NC are on the roof. There are over 12 satellite dishes on my road - mostly Directv, but a couple Dish. All are on the roof except mine and 1 other.

I am not counting apartment dishes in NC, because those can't be on the roof on most apartment complexes. But some did allow it and you'd see them everywhere. My cousin's apartment building's roof is basically lined with satellite dishes, Alabama. The apartment complex I lived in (VT) several years ago was Dish Network-only. One dish, on the roof. I just don't understand the disconnect.
What happened is the rules changed ... yes, back in the day they were on the roofs peaks and all for a long time they did, then rules changed and they determined that you now have to be able to do the job without getting off your ladder (which also can be a pain).
I would imagine techs have fallen off roofs and they finally said enough is enough.
I am floored that I don't hear more about doing pole mounts ... I would much rather have a pole mount than a roof mount at my home and it's better for those in the snow belt as well.
Some areas it wouldn't work, but it would definitely be safer.
I have heard about this set up they supposivly have for if a tech DOES have to go on a roof ... I really have to talk to my former boss about it, (they've been thru the training) it sound like it would be incredibly difficult to use.

I do apologize for using the word lazy. Very wrong place.

What is different about the local subcontractors and the Directv corporate folks that makes one follow OSHA and other rules but not the other?

Aren't most dishes on the roof? Mine isn't but most of the dishes I see are on a roof. Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't go up there. Lazy?
Who's job is it then? If DirecTV put it there then DirecTV should remove it? Who owns the dish? Do they become the property of the customer after DirecTV installed it? If DirecTV owns the dish then DirecTV could be sued for refusing to remove their property from the customer's property after requested...
Yes..The antenna becomes the property of the customer.....The simple reason is, the satellite companies do not want the liability of anything that can go wrong in removing the antenna.
I on the other hand would remove the antenna and mast but leave the foot.. I always told the customer before doing so....I also left the hardware behind as it was not mine to remove from the property.
Some people complained. Usually after I was long gone on to my next job.....I was not going to spend my time and energy disposing of antennas.....

Aren't most dishes on the roof? Mine isn't but most of the dishes I see are on a roof. Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't go up there. Lazy?
depends upon the area of the country.
In Florida, one rarely sees a Dish on the roof of a house.In the northern latitudes, roof mounts are common....

Whenever this subject comes up, no one can ever answer this simple question: If Directv is so supposedly against it, how on earth do all those dishes get up there?
I am not trying to be difficult, but I simply cannot understand how so many installers will come on here and say they don't do it, but it's the majority of the installs I have seen in VT, NH, NY, MA, VA, and NC are on the roof. There are over 12 satellite dishes on my road - mostly Directv, but a couple Dish. All are on the roof except mine and 1 other.

I am not counting apartment dishes in NC, because those can't be on the roof on most apartment complexes. But some did allow it and you'd see them everywhere. My cousin's apartment building's roof is basically lined with satellite dishes, Alabama. The apartment complex I lived in (VT) several years ago was Dish Network-only. One dish, on the roof. I just don't understand the disconnect.
Much of the roof mounts were either done years ago. By contractors who work for retailers. The latter are not bound by the same rules as service provider or in house techs.....Especially in house.
from a personal stand point, I would place dishes on roofs all day long.....One, if I did not have to get off the ladder..or a one story house with less than an 8/12( 33*) pitch....If I had to get off the ladder, Two story homes for me were a no go....

So I am taking this to mean that the subcontractors try harder to get signals?
Its not a question of "trying harder".....Please refrain from using negative connotations...
This is not a tough guy thing, Or a "I will go just short of killing myself to get a job done in order to look like a hero" thing.....
The long and the short of this is SAFETY......Everyone's threshold of what is safe is different. Do not ever blame someone for his level of self preservation.
This is not a battle and we are not trying to win a war......
Now to answer your question which has been answered already......Contractor techs have less restrictive rules by which their work is governed...On the other hand, contractors have more latitude in their decision making.

Reactions: Jimbo
Here's an update to this situation ... based on your recommendations, I ordered the SWM-15 LNB and hired a local professional installer to come out. He found that the dish had been improperly mounted, and added a support. Now it's not going anywhere!. He also put in the SWM-13 LNB and everything is working perfectly - signal strength went from the low 70's to 96-98 on HD satellites.

Also, kudos to DirecTV - they paid for the new LNB and the contractor charge.

Thanks all for your our help.

Here's an update to this situation ... based on your recommendations, I ordered the SWM-15 LNB and hired a local professional installer to come out. He found that the dish had been improperly mounted, and added a support. Now it's not going anywhere!. He also put in the SWM-13 LNB and everything is working perfectly - signal strength went from the low 70's to 96-98 on HD satellites.

Also, kudos to DirecTV - they paid for the new LNB and the contractor charge.

Thanks all for your our help.
Sounds like he also re pointed the dish .... the numbers would not be that different just changing the LNB, unless of course the LNB was going bad.

Sounds like he also re pointed the dish .... the numbers would not be that different just changing the LNB, unless of course the LNB was going bad.

The dish had drooped a bit - when the dish was installed following a roof replacement, the roofer (not DTV) did not include a support arm on the upper part of the mount. So even though I had a good signal when they first put it up there, gravity took over and the dish elevation was off.

In all, I probably didn't need a new LNB other than to get the support for my 9 tuners.

thats interesting that D* paid (credited you back?) for that. i could see for the LNB maybe but not for having an outside tech. ah well. glad it worked out for you!

thats interesting that D* paid (credited you back?) for that. i could see for the LNB maybe but not for having an outside tech. ah well. glad it worked out for you!

They credited my account - it was either lose a long-time customer in good standing OR credit my account for someone to fix the situation. And they didn't have to worry about liability in case something bad happens. I think it's actually a very good deal for D*. Once a customer like me already has the equipment (and my equipment is 2+ years old) what's the cost of keeping us? We're all profit at that point.

One note - I do have the protection plan, and part of my position is that I've paid for the plan for years, yet could not use it when I needed to. Without that, I might have had to foot the bill.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)