DirecTV won't go on my roof to replace bad LNB ... ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That would still be nine - genie is 5, one DVR has two, other has one, receiver has one...
not that it matters any more, but thye should have installed an SWM16 when you got the Genie, disabling tuners is just a lazy way out for an installer

I misspoke - I don't have a HD receiver - it's a Genie client. So I'm at 8.

I agree. There was some issue with the installer who installed the Genie not having a SWM-16 with him (he had no problem going on the roof), and the next guy who came out with the SWM-16 wouldn't go on the roof, and said this was the best he could do.

I think I just need to buy the LNB and have a local installer come out and fix everything.

The only other issue is that DirecTV now has a record that I don't have LOS ... not sure how that will impact them sending me new equipment (like the new receiver that I want to add). Chances are they won't care so long as I'm happy with the signal.

Thanks everyone for the info. You've been very helpful!!!

Yeah? And guess what? He won't be a tech for very long if he goes on the roof in violation of company policy. The tech made the right call. If that's company policy, he's doing his job right.
I'm not saying the tech should go on the roof, he shouldn't if it's against company policy. I'm saying he shouldn't be a tech because he apparently doesn't know that you don't need four lines from the dish for a swm setup.

You do if you are using an SWM16....
And to the OP. First, DirecTV probably has no record of where you might have line of sight issues. And second, it's not a matter of if you are happy with the signal. There are minimum signal levels you have to meet....,

And to the OP. First, DirecTV probably has no record of where you might have line of sight issues. And second, it's not a matter of if you are happy with the signal. There are minimum signal levels you have to meet....,

He already said he only has one line from the dish. That means he doesn't have a swm switch.

The CSR told me that now there is a record that they can't relocate the dish to get LOS ...

And my signal strengths are in the high 70s - low 80s. And that's on a clear day. It could just be alignment, but I might as well get the new LNB if I'm paying someone to go up there...

Yea this is all company policy we can't force anyone onto a roof, and I have the power to fire anyone I catch on a roof. Your best bet is to get one of the reverse band lnbs off ebay and pay someone to do it. That being said a lot of techs may look the other way if you bribe them... start hunting down dtv/att vans in your area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yea this is all company policy we can't force anyone onto a roof, and I have the power to fire anyone I catch on a roof. Your best bet is to get one of the reverse band lnbs off ebay and pay someone to do it. That being said a lot of techs may look the other way if you bribe them... start hunting down dtv/att vans in your area.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No, don't hunt down the Att van .... most of them have nothing to do with D* at this point.
Currently we are only doing ones done on line .... you guys are still doing the rest .... last I heard anyways.

Reactions: Tyralak
I'd post an ad on craigslist stating what you need.

You may be best to have DirecTV install a new dish that is within their reachability guidelines (future proofing) and leave the old one until you have any type of roof work done or have a non-DirecTv tech on the roof and just ask them to remove the bolts and toss the dish down. Leave the bottom footplate though - just remove the dish and arm.

You may be best to have DirecTV install a new dish that is within their reachability guidelines (future proofing) and leave the old one until you have any type of roof work done or have a non-DirecTv tech on the roof and just ask them to remove the bolts and toss the dish down. Leave the bottom footplate though - just remove the dish and arm.

Would love to but no LOS from anywhere that is reachable without getting off the ladder ...

Keep liability in mind here, if the craigslist hired help falls off the roof and sues for damages it would be a pretty lousy day.

My roofer referred me to an independent contractor that does most of his work for Dish ... $100 to replace LNB and re-align dish. And he's insured.

I'm going to see if I can get $130 in credits from DirecTV to cover this!

Reactions: stardust3
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)