Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aria1844

Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Maryland
Consider this scenario and judge for yourself (apologies for the length):
Background
You've just bought a home, work is being done to your home and so you can't move in yet; but you've gone ahead and scheduled phone, internet and tv services accrodingly.

You signed up with Verizon and got their package that included DirecTV and in the list of their channels for this package they list both HD and non-HD channels. No mention of "Standard Receiver" or "HD Receiver", so an assumption is made that its HD that will be installed.

Event
The day of the install, you bring in your regular tv, (remember you haven't moved in yet, no furniture nothing) so that they can install.

A few days before your move in day, bad weather, wind/rain etc; so when you finally got moved in (2 weeks into having DirecTV), you have no signal and you realize you don't have HD!

You call service and they make an appointment to come out and you ask how can I get HD; they reply simply pay $10/month and the technician will bring the HD reciever with them. You agree, in the meantime you call "Customer Service", realizing that DirecTV is offering "HD For Life" for new customers; you assume that having only been a customer for 2 weeks you're still new! Right!?? WRONG!

I've talked to customer service, that person manager, and explained the above, that actually I've only had service for one day, I've been installed for 2 weeks, and even so I should still be considered a "NEW" customer and should have the opportunity to take advantage of the offer just the same. The answer a flat out "NO"!! You've been installed and are no longer a "NEW" customer.

Ok, how about you terminate my services and begin again! You will be CHARGED a penalty of up to $480 for early cancellation!!! HELLO!!! WHAT! No 30 DAY Cancellation without charge!!!

Whatever happened to "Customer Service", don't you want to keep your customer, is there actually nothing DirecTV could have done!?? Answer was a flat out "NO".
Do you really want to loose a customer for $240 (over a 2 year period)?

The answer was an astonishing "Sorry,that's our policy, I dont have the power to make such decisions!!!" REALLY! That's customer service now days. Sorry!
I've since cancelled my subscribtion to DirecTV and find them to SUCK on Customer Service and their policy on such issue is MESSED UP (can't say how I really feel)!

I have since gone to Comcast, and have no intention of paying for the ridiculous cancellation charges should they arrive. Comcast gave me a PHENOMINAL deal with them with NO CONTRACT!!! Phone, Internet and OH YES, HD DVR, ON DEMAND and still come out with the SAME EXACT PRICING as DirecTV just without the hassels and penny pinching!

Conclusion
Buyer beware, be very aware! You're considered a new customer by most any company, agency, and or firm if you're within a reasonable amount of time. Two weeks is ceratainly reasonable.
They MUST have a window of opportunity where customers can change their mind without being penalized; Verizon (30 Days), Comcast (30 Days), DirecTV (0 days)... Hmmm!
Therefore in my humble opinion, DirecTV SUCKS BIG TIME! Apparently they have enough customers and don't need YOU!

Last edited:
Did you not notice there wasn't an HD picture when the tech installed your system and you both were looking at the tv screen? Why did you sign off on the install if you saw there wasn't an HD picture on your TV?

You bought a service without knowing what you bought, is that what I read?

They installed for your regular TV. You can add HD.

Missing information about the CS call you made. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor due to their saying, "I dont have the power to make such decisions"? This reads as if you freaked out about TV.

You have gone to Comcast. Good for you. You are paying more for less service. Many people like it. All the best to you.

Its easy to tell if you have HD on your Tv even thou you do have an old tube NON HD type tv. You go to a channel that says HD an look for the HD logo. You should of asked your installer hey show me an HD channel, if he said u wont be able to see it say LOOK I know my tv is not HD but put it on there anyway, if he continues you take the remote and hit guide and scroll looking for HD logo channels.

U will get no sympathy from the D* fanboys who frequent this site..they have no concept of "customer Service" in their world D* can do no wrong no matter how hard they screw over the customer

Juan, I mean really? Did you read, the guy assumed things he should never have. Troll back to the land of overcompression...

Talking about fanboys...

What, like:

"Another customer that can't read or listen or pay attention"?

I'm all for trashing companies that arent upfront, but not when the problem was caused by your own ASSumptions.

Its easy to tell if you have HD on your Tv even thou you do have an old tube NON HD type tv. You go to a channel that says HD an look for the HD logo. You should of asked your installer hey show me an HD channel, if he said u wont be able to see it say LOOK I know my tv is not HD but put it on there anyway, if he continues you take the remote and hit guide and scroll looking for HD logo channels.

WOW...LOL...Didn't even think that he didn't even have an HD tv there as part of the hook-up. So does the OP actually have an HD tv right now? If so, why wasn't that the one that was used for the installation check and then the HD access/non-access could've been verified?

I'm still failing to see where this can be Direct TV's fault. Everything seems to be pointing back to the customer.

In all seriousness, if he ordered a package that contains HD channels, why would he not get an HD receiver ? Did the installer "downgrade" him or tell customer service to do so ? Seems to me the installer could have said "this isn't an HDTV" and the OP could have explained (as if an empty house wouldn't have been a clue).

Give me a break. The first thing I do when the installer is finished is look at the channels and make sure I can see the programming. If I ordered HD or HBO I look at it first before blindly signing the contract. You signed that you were satisfied with the installation . . now you are blaming the Customer Service for not assuming you wanted HD? Should she have assumed you wanted NFL football and Spanish Language programming too?

Juan, I mean really? Did you read, the guy assumed things he should never have. Troll back to the land of overcompression...

Talking about fanboys...
He's a new customer..read a channel list and assumed he was getting HD.. U can blame the CSR for not doing his/her job because new customers may or may not know how directv works in other words its best to assume they are idiots (in regards to directv).

He's a new customer..read a channel list and assumed he was getting HD.. U can blame the CSR for not doing his/her job because new customers may or may not know how directv works in other words its best to assume they are idiots (in regards to directv).

Right here is the key statement. Why assume and not ask? You are signing up for a 24 month contract and don't know the details? YOU the consumer have the obligation to ask everything you do not know about. YOU are the one under contract for 24 months and YOU are the one paying the bill. If you aren't sure ASK. How is the CSR to know what the consumer knows and doesn't know? They are simply providing the service.

Right here is the key statement. Why assume and not ask? You are signing up for a 24 month contract and don't know the details? YOU the consumer have the obligation to ask everything you do not know about. YOU are the one under contract for 24 months and YOU are the one paying the bill. If you aren't sure ASK. How is the CSR to know what the consumer knows and doesn't know? They are simply providing the service.

Its the CSR's job to educate the consumer..not the other way around..He should not have to "Investigate" anything ..ordering Directv should be a easy and seamless experience..CSR's usually ASK QUESTIONS and UPSELL the customer . The CSR (legally) needs to advise customer of any contract and duration of such contract. personally I dont understand why existing customer's cant get HD for life..It kinda sounds like a dumbass Charlie move from the OTHER provider

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts