DirecTV - Zero Customer Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just to give folks here an update on this thread.
I have been asked to pay $498; I have sent a certified letter to DirecTV's HQ providing them full details and the fact that the invoice should be nullified. This was almost one month ago and I have received no mail in return, neither in electronically or via snail mail.
I had also via the feedback form submitted my grieviance and those folks have replied back, but each say the same thing, await a response. Finally today I decided yet again to call the billing dept. and see if I can't resolve this. I asked the lady, without providing my information, which she looked up anyway without asking for more information, what is DirecTV's cancellation policy; she said and I quote, "It depends on your state", well I'm in Maryland; I replied at which point she began to look up my account and while telling me she is looking for that information. It took her 3 minutes to find my account, at which time I asked her, isn't there a standard policy, she replied its different for each state. So I found that for Marylanders they're screwed, there are no cancellation period, you cancel you pay the full amount $490+. So I explained, yet again, that I was only a customer for a short 2 weeks and only received service for one week, since I encountered bad weather for a week at which point I was not receiving any service and had to call support.

She asked why I wanted to cancel and I gave her the full story, that DirecTV could have kept me around if they simply considered me a "New Customer" and were willing to provide me the HD for Life, but it seems your policy that once you're installed you're not a new customer. I also mentioned to her, which I may have failed to say this in my initial thread, that DirecTV didn't even install the satellite dishes, they were already installed due to the previous homeowner, which is really why I was curious to try them out in the first place. So again, what service am I being charged for, a guy coming out with recievers and connecting it, which btw anyone can do if provided the projectories; and I did return all the equipment so, again what are you charging me for?

She appologized and said she would submit my dispute and make sure it gets high priority. I'm suppose to have someone get back to me within a few days.
Well let's see!

Last edited:
Most of you guys are way to harsh . Dang . The guy , trolling or not , is just another assumption in the ever going thread . I think the guy could have AND should have talked his way through to SOMEONE about this . He made a mistake . Why the argument and assumptions ? I do not think Directv is at fault for the original install but , they certainly could have taken care of things for him afterward . It all goes back to what I have stated . That is that Directv has no thought or feeling about anything other than making a sale . They made the sale and took the money . No help after that . I normally criticize Juan but , at least he was trying to help by showing that compassion goes a long way and it was easy enough to do . I feel sorry for the guy even though I believe he never should have assumed . Some people are that way . Apparently he did not do his homework . So be it . He calls to explain and gets nothing . That is just not cool . But , here again , it is about making the sale and moving on . Very sad the world works very much like this . Directv has been helpful to me because , when I do call them , I am polite and explain things in a manner the CSR can understand . I have been pleased thus far . I wish they would not have lost him . Basically for $ 10.00 a month . HD should have been given to him . And all is well . Instead they steal $ 480.00 from him because they want money . Very sad . They run their business their way and that is the way it is . But damn , how hard is it to to dump $ 10.00 a month to keep the guy . VERY HARD because it is easier to give him nothing , piss him off , and steal $ 480.00 . With that said , come on guys , Let's watch tv .:D

Thank you Falkor:)
I admit willingly that I made some bad assumptions, alot was going on, but that's really not the point. One issue is that DTV considers you no longer a new customer once you have been installed, the other is that there is no set period of 2wks or 30 day policy and lastly I agree 100% with what you have said which is basically you just looking to make a quick buck and not provide a service and in the end what's $10 to any company of this size if you know you would have kept a paying customer for perhaps many more years.

I'm happy to see that there are some rational folks on this site.
Happy watching :)

Thank you . I just try to see things for what they are . :D The new customer thing sucks . Seems that once your contract runs out , you should be able to get the same deals as new customers . I must say though that Dish does the same thing . But , at one time , Dish would give you great deals anyway . Just as good , and sometimes the same as new customers . I hope your dispute works in your favor . You did have service for two weeks in their eyes so , you may be screwed . I would hope that since the money they spent for the installers short time inside your place , they could , at worst , Make you pay the install fee . But , it should not be what they normally pay since all he did was hook up some receivers . Let us know how it goes . I really do hope there will be an amiable solutions ! And for HD which they have basically given away to thousands and you missed the SO CALLED promotion by a day or two so you cannot have it ? They can do as they please but , they obviously care about the money . That is what they want . And what you would pay in monthly charges and keep you happy at the same time seems not to be an option . 2 weeks service . $ 480.00 and they do not have to provide anything for that money . Technically , I believe Directv would win this but , this is not a court . it is simply a guy trying to walk away after 2 weeks . They should allow you to . That is the morally correct thing to do .
Best of luck my friend . I hope to read a post from you that it was resolved in your favor !!

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't miss the promotional date, it was still running; its they didn't look on me as a new customer since I was already installed! Go figure!
Thanks again for the kind sentiments.

I did receive a letter just this past Friday from the HQ and they have stated that this invoice has been prorated ($480) and that since I've terminated my contract there isn't much they can do but to call if I have any issues etc.
So the saga will continue for a little while I assume, but I'm not willing to pay and they dont have any of my credit cards etc on hand. I already notified the three credit bureaus just to cover myself.
So again will see. I'll let you know if they'll just write this off and hopefully change their policy enough to make it easier for folks to cancel if they so desire without killing them:O)

now imagine the tech having to explain all the differances and make changes as necesary (hour or more?) all for free that why MOST of the techs drilling holes have 6 months experiance or less

The problem is not the installer(s). It may be the case that you have an inexperienced guy, but in my case all the guy had to do is connect the receivers and he was done! The issue here, is the terms and conditions are not customer friendly at all. I have now found lots of similar cases with other ex-customers of DirecTV. Their business practices are more mafia like and they are not alone, apparently their direct competitor DishNetwork operates in a similar fashion. So we are truly back in the day where you can't expect such service providers to have a reasonable cancellation policy (2 weeks, or 30 days etc.), they will get you for all its worth one way or the other. BTW I checked their so called customer satisfaction record and its not what they advertise. BBB has them rated as F, JD Powers list Verizon FIOS as the best. You can read what Consumer Report says regarding Satellite providers: Bundled Services: Consumer Reports not great but not bad either. Unfortunately, companies like DirecTV have forgotten what customers really mean and have lost the art of providing customer service. All the CS people I spoke to got defensive and borderline rude and none attempted to ratify the situation so at least while I may not be a customer I wouldn't speak so negatively about them either. But instead, I have started this thread, a blog, a facebook page, a twitter account, called on BBB and Consumer Protection Agency and made complaints with regards to their tactics and policies. Now it may not go anywhere, but none of it is flattering and will provide a negative outcome for those who choose to listen, read etc. This story has some compelling points; its not whether I made an assumption, its about how will a company like DirecTV resolve customer relations and issues. This whole matter is nothing but a drop in a bucket, provide me HD for Life not ask for $10 additional per month. Had they provided similar options to a customer who is just 2 weeks in, I wouldn't even be talking about this. Oh well. Live and learn on all counts!

Last edited:
Don't bother with BBB just send a email to your local state representative like I did and he took care of the problem by contacting the company and talking to them and that was it.
After all you put them in office to protect you. You would be surprised how fast they respond.
You could have had a HDTV at the house when the install took place and you would have never had the problem in the first place.
Just a thought.

Fl_Gulfer, that's all I initially wanted, but it wasn't going to happen and didn't! But thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it.
BTW how did you contact them, in person, in writing or by phone, and how long did it take from that time to have the issue resolved.
Lastly what was your issue?

Also, did you know that the founder of this very site also had a major issue with DirecTV? He wrote a very nice article about it that I posted on my new FB Fan Page site:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirecTV-Sucks-Fan-Page/155598994462487

All of course out of frustration, but if it helps someone not fall into the same trap I did, great!

Last edited:
DirecTV - Zero Customer Service - I Prevailed

Since August of this year (2010), I have mentioned of the lack of customer service by DTV. In this regard my thoughts have not changed! What I found even more ridiculous than their Customer Service, managers and even their executive secretaries (yes, I called them up), was the insult of being charged $490.80 for never even getting their services!

I am happy to report, however, that after 3 months of fighting this ridiculous charge, I have prevailed and they have zeroed out my balance!! I guess the business sense must have kicked in and they figured out how much it would cost them to come after just one person; I don't know but whatever their reason, I'm just glad they finally caved in, 'cause I sure wasn't going to.

Thank you to all those who were kind at least in words and for those who believed I deserved what came my way, well it may happen to you and believe me, you want your rights to be held just the same. Thank you Consumer Protection Agency~!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts