DirecTV's High-Def Signal...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

l33txp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Is it just me or is the HD signal VERY touchy.. I think I need to secure my dish better than the installer's did because at the slightest breeze I lose signal.. I went out and inspected the install and it's quite nice, they have it on a steal post that seems to be on an extension that is inside the top post and I can wiggle it.. there a trick to making this thing rock solid or should I call the company that installed it? Not sure what they will do, it's been several months since they installed and this has just stated recently since the winds have picked up in my area this time of year.. need some images to help out? Let me know!! Thanks!!

I remember reading a post explaining that the MPEG4 signals were more "touchy" then MPEG2. The explanation made total sense, but hell if I can think of the specifics to write it out myself right now. I'm brain dead right now. :)

The new MPEG4 HD channels are in the Ka band, which does require a more finely tuned dish. When your dish was installed did they also put on the two additional support arms to help support it? Down in Austin yesterday we had winds up around 50mph and no problems with my dish being knocked out. I did have to get it realinged a couple years ago because it was just slightly out of align and had more rain fade then it should have.

My dish is on a pole attached to my condo balcony railing, with the bracket that is designed for this purpose. I have to re-peak periodically to keep from getting rain fade on HD channels even though the SD channels are okay. The bracket holds the pole in tight, but with it not anchored into anything at the bottom it can still twist a little - it takes several good windstorms before I start to have a problem. Fortunately, it's easy to lean inside and look at the signal level on the TV, so I haven't had to bother with buying a meter or connecting it.

Is it just me or is the HD signal VERY touchy.. I think I need to secure my dish better than the installer's did because at the slightest breeze I lose signal.. I went out and inspected the install and it's quite nice, they have it on a steal post that seems to be on an extension that is inside the top post and I can wiggle it.. there a trick to making this thing rock solid or should I call the company that installed it? Not sure what they will do, it's been several months since they installed and this has just stated recently since the winds have picked up in my area this time of year.. need some images to help out? Let me know!! Thanks!!

Sounds like they used an adapter instead of the correct mount with the tripod.

Williams reply sounds like what may have happened, but I did not know that D* allowed them, I thought it was an after market item.
I use one for my RV set up, but nothing permanant.
It also could be that they failed to use the brackets like Rad said.

Do you have the Protection plan ?
If so, call them out and have them fix it.

fwiw, if your signal strength is solid, moving the pole some should not affect it.
I have mine on a 16" galvinized post supported at the roof line and can shake it (when I have snow build up on it.) normally if I shake it, it will move but I don't lose signal.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)