DirecTV's Junk DVR's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The only problem I seem to have is with the caller ID.... I really have not had any problems with the recording or playback......

I never had a Tivo so I really don't know the difference in the 2 machines..... I know this one is pretty darn easy to operate......

I haven't had any issues with either of my boxes really, its more of a trying to un-learn my TiVo habits and learn the new DirecTV+ habits.

Ive had a chance to play around with the r15 at my inlaws. It is very unpredictable. You push a button sometimes it does what you want. Sometimes it ignores the command and sometimes it just does whatever. He has already had it replaced because one of the tuners went down.

shugo77 said:
Anyone else think Angry Bob, errrr... I mean Doctor Bob, has stock in TIVO? :rolleyes:

I'll second that! The only issue I have had with my R-15 is the caller ID, but that seems to have been taken care of in the last software upgrade, and the FF, RW, and Play buttons do seem more "responsive" now. But a lot of people have different standards on how "responsive" the scan and play buttons should be.

shugo77 said:
Anyone else think Angry Bob, errrr... I mean Doctor Bob, has stock in TIVO? :rolleyes:
It could just be that like many of us we don't understand why D* decided to !@#$ with a good thing.

RM easily had enough money to buy TiVo Inc. Hell, 35% would have given him effective control. He could have raided the software and patents and shut it down. And then hope his deveopment team didn't screw up the software.

You know what the saddest thing is about that article? The fact that only 15% of Directv customers even use a DVR at all.:( Hell, I'd rather have the buggiest, slowest, worst DVR than the best plain jane satellite reciever. I'm AMAZED that number is not much higher! 15%? Come on!

kbohip said:
You know what the saddest thing is about that article? The fact that only 15% of Directv customers even use a DVR at all.:( Hell, I'd rather have the buggiest, slowest, worst DVR than the best plain jane satellite reciever. I'm AMAZED that number is not much higher! 15%? Come on!

I was shocked when learned that as well. Even on the E* side its not much different. I was able to talk my grandparents into getting a DVR through E*... (I could not get them to go with D* after much persuasion). Anyway, I talked to them this weekend after they have had it for the better part of three months now, and they said they don't hardly use it! I guess a lot of the older baby boomers and people older than that don't see the use in it. And if they make up the majority of the population in the USA, then that most likely means they make up the majority of Satellite subscribers as well. Heck, I know a lot of people that are 45-60 years old that don't have a DVR or see the use for it.

I think its the best invention in years! I rank it higher than HD! :)

If you want to see junk, go to "E". Try on the 811 for size. D's boxes are Mercedes compared to E's go-carts.

Nds dvr's have a bad history of not recording shows, crashing, poor rewinding/fast-forwarding among other things. D*'s customers should complain in print, tv, radio and other media venues until this piece of junk is recalled. I'm not a software engineer; nevertheless, I'm smart enough to see that the NDS software was not given a full beta testing to ferret out all major and nearly all minor bugs. Perhaps some bad press will convince them to get it together.

I'm an E* subscriber, but I do feel for you. With D* making its own cutrate DVRs, Charlie will lose whatever incentive he HAD to improve our units now that Rupert is happy to push out his own bug riddled receivers.

If they both keep this up, cable's DVRs will actually start to look better by comparison....

If they both keep this up, cable's DVRs will actually start to look better by comparison....
As long as my local cable company continues to use the Pioneer Passport Echo software on their DVR, it will take NDS and DirecTV years to hit that level of crappiness.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)