DIRT: Downgrade to Welcome Pack - Still get HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That's the one I was talking / wondering about because you can't get Blockbuster with Welcome Pack. Only reason I noticed was because I look over my programming month to month - might mention it to my brother who is a huge movie buff and has Welcome Pack and see if he can get the Epix a la carte package.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The box to select Epix a la carte used to be grayed out for Welcome Pack subs when it was under HD packages. It is no longer grayed out under a la carte. Therefore, it appears that Welcome Pack subs now have the option to add Epix a la carte. Blockbuster@Home is still grayed out for Welcome Pack subs under the premiums section. I do not really get why especially since they did away with one disc at a time.

HD has been the norm now for the last 5 years. It is way past time for DISH to drop the whole hd thing and make it standard. Maybe when 4k tvs comes out at a reasonable price with channels in 4k, they will make hd the standard and 4k will be the new premium price add on. IF DISH would ever get a move on the mpeg 4 transition for western arc they would have no reason to keep sd any longer and hd could become the standard.

It would be nice.

HD has been the norm now for the last 5 years. It is way past time for DISH to drop the whole hd thing and make it standard. Maybe when 4k tvs comes out at a reasonable price with channels in 4k, they will make hd the standard and 4k will be the new premium price add on. IF DISH would ever get a move on the mpeg 4 transition for western arc they would have no reason to keep sd any longer and hd could become the standard.
Because the industry is going to milk the cow for as long as possible. First it was HD, requiring new plasma sets. Then LCD. Then LED. Then 1080p. Then 3D. Then 4k is supposedly on the horizon. As long as the industry (not just the providers like Dish) thinks it can charge extra for HD, and the public sucks into it, they will.

I don't think Dish is the only provider. What about the other cable and satellite companies that charge extra for HD or require paperless billing or/and autopay? However, it would be nice if the providers all would.

The free HD for life is great. But some cable providers also offer "deals" for HD programming. Comcast, for example, waives the HD Technology fee if you use your own equipment (i.e. cable card device). And I've heard of people getting "free HD" extensions from DirecTV after the promo deal is over. Although in regard to HD pricing deals, I haven't seen anyone beat Dish's free HD for life.

I agree with dare2be about the providers milking HD pricing. Everything should be in HD and then let the receivers output the resolution your tv needs. Getting rid of things like analog, MPEG2 and SD channels would free up a lot of bandwith that providers could use for HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)