DIRT - Help! Will 330 Actually recognize my EHD?

barryaz1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Scottsdale AZ
Ever since 328, my HWS refuses to recognize my EHD. Unless I unplug the EHD's USB and external power, wait a minute, plug both in, go to EHD in the HWS Menu, see it's not there, then Cancel and now the "you have plugged in an external device" message comes up and all is well and good. Until the 3AM reset, and then the entire process has to be repeated that day. As troublesome as it sounds? Absolutely! Just did it and first checked and I'm still on 328.

And unrelated(?), I have had recordings, that when selected and started, are titled the end of the last (whatever) program (as is normal for the 1 minute before start), but is all black and rather than start the proper event, then gives the usual end-of-recording Delete/DVR choice. Has happened on HBO, Showtime and USA for sure. Not sure about other stations or OTA's.

Mine was doing the same thing, then I gave up on it and 2 days later it started working. Just left it plugged in the whole time.

I suddenly have a new problem. Displaying the page of tiles, the Title and Description are correct but the Subtitle is from a different show. I tried a reboot and the Fsck is up to date from last night. Problem remains. I noticed it first on the EHD for a 3-part show and each Subtitle from a different 3 parter. Some Subtitles are correct--usually series episodes.

On not-recently-used shows the preview insert is blank but I've seen that before--they often fill in but generally only if that show is current elsewhere.

Hurry Wednesday, I want to unload some accumulated and mostly replacement (smaller) episodes and whole movies that I move to a few minutes left and hang there, PLEASE.

-Ken

I experienced a new problem today on S328, I was watching a recording from my DVR and when I went to delete the program it wouldn't let me go back to watching live TV. When the tile comes up to Delete/DVR/LIVE TV no matter which choice I pick that tile just keeps popping up and the only way I could exit the tile was to reset my receiver. Hopefully the next update fixes the bugs this update was full of, it kind of takes the fun out owning the Hopper W/Sling.

Possibly you are in the state of 3 tuners in use. You cannot Delete because that show is stopped on one of the tuners. You cannot choose a new show because all tuners are in use. And likewise for going live as the live channel is not one of the three.

You might try recall or bring up the guide and select a channel, which may force one of the three to stop. Easier might be to stop whichever channel you can get to show.

Sometimes it is just stubborn.

I can't imagine 330 is worse, so why not go there tonight and not wait?
-Ken

Last edited:
When I was experiencing the issue of not being able to delete the program I had nothing recording. No matter what command I used on the remote the tile with Delete/DVR/Live TV would keep popping up, like I say the only way to get past this issue was to re-start the Hopper W/Sling. My system is still on S328 as of the time of this post, needless to say I'm looking forward to the next update.

I have two HWS's in my house. One has upgraded to S330 and the other usually lags the upgrades by about two weeks and is still at S228. Both have EHD's that are identical from the same manufacturer. The HWS with S330 now does not recognize the EHD and keeps starting up with a message that the EHD must be reformatted to meet Dish's format. I will not let it reformat as I believe this is a SW bug on Dish's part with S330. DISH dirt please comment on this!

We need to go beyond S330. Just as S328 had bad point, so does this one. If it works, use it but if not then stand by.
My backlog grows.
-Ken

I've ceased being hopeful. My EHD disappeared after 328 and has yet to reappear with 330, still unless I unplug it, power it down, and then reconnect. If my wife could understand online, I'd get DVR for the OTA, a minimal cable sub for sports and otherwise cut the cord after my current commitment is up.

Same problem. Bug in software

Wont recognize my hard drive, yet I have a years worth of movies saved to it.
Wants to format it so I did.

Worse yet not it says DIsh must authorized external storage and to call this number.
Yet this is a Hopper there is not extra charge for this NOR DOES DISH need to authorize it.

Looks like I now lost everything as it started to format but go stuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)