DIRT Help

gandia9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Hey DIRT team,
I'm going to be setting up service in Austin, TX around the 1st of July and need some recommendations on installation. Should I just call dish directly, go local, or some random website? Also what is the price difference/functionality between the 2 hopper setup vs. the 1 hopper and 1 joey? I'll have 2 HD tvs that need DVR and might add a 3rd soon. Thanks. I was a dish customer for several years and left a few years ago because of signal issues. New house, new shot at dish.:D

There would be an upfront fee for getting 2 Hoppers as opposed to 1 H/1 J, other fees would be the same. If you want 2 Hoppers, you would need to go through a local retailer, 2 Hoppers only can not be set up by going directly with Dish or DIRT unless you go with 2H/1J and refuse Joey at installation.

There would be an upfront fee for getting 2 Hoppers as opposed to 1 H/1 J, other fees would be the same. If you want 2 Hoppers, you would need to go through a local retailer, 2 Hoppers only can not be set up by going directly with Dish or DIRT unless you go with 2H/1J and refuse Joey at installation.
2nd Hopper would be $12/mo wouldn't it as of May 22.

One vs two hoppers depends on actual usage. We have three HDTVS, but rarely is more than one watched at a time, thus one Hopper has always been plenty. Don't go just by number of TVs in house...go by how often watched. There are a few who will say you need two not matter what. I disagree. It depends on viewing and recording habits.

2H/0J will cost $5 more per month than 1H/1J. Do you need the extra tuners? What value do you place on redundancy?

You can have up to 3 Joeys per Hopper.

Yeah , I think that 1 hopper / joey would be enough for us, and add a joey if needed later. How do I find a good reliable installer? Can a subcontractor get me set up with dish or do I still have to go directly with dish to set up the initial service?

Just call Dish for an install like that. Now you have to decide between the original Hopper, and the Hopper with Sling. The latter will cost more up front. But ask, because you will be treated as a new customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah , I think that 1 hopper / joey would be enough for us, and add a joey if needed later. How do I find a good reliable installer? Can a subcontractor get me set up with dish or do I still have to go directly with dish to set up the initial service?
Well, you'll just need to see if there is a NON-VERIZON, actual retailer where you live. But contacting Dirt and having them set you up is really just as good if there isn't.

Also, get the ota module. With an ota antenna, it will give you an additional tuner for your locals and the ability to receive their subchannels. I would recommend the HWS(Hopper with Sling). It will give you the option of watching your dvr while traveling on a mobile device or from a computer without having to use a usb port for the sling adapter. It also has internet connectivity built in. And it's much faster than the original Hopper. But you must ask for the HWS.

Super great info. I'll give dish a call and try that route. I just bought the house and want things done "gently". I actually hoping to have the dish placed somewhere other than my roof. We'll see. navychop, I may hit you up for that later if needed. Thanks

Since DISH started business the Independent Dealer has been able to offer the same deals as DISH. But DISH is a safe place to buy from.

Super great info. I'll give dish a call and try that route. I just bought the house and want things done "gently". I actually hoping to have the dish placed somewhere other than my roof. We'll see. navychop, I may hit you up for that later if needed. Thanks

You might suggest a gable or eave mount, to avoid roof penetrations. But they may want extra coin of the realm for that. DO NOT agree to a chimney mount. They aren't supposed to do those anymore anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts