Dish Anywhere to the rescue!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
My big screen died this afternoon! :mad:

Was watching it and suddenly screen blanked and the indicator light started flashing a fast green. Got a call into Mitsi, but they can't do anything until tomorrow, and then that will be a hunt for someone that will contract with them for the service as we have no one on the authorized service list down here. Nearest one is about 40 miles away and he told me he won't come here.

So it will be Dish Anywhere on the computer, the original iPad, the iPad Mini and/or the iPhone. While that isn't ideal watching, Dish Anywhere sure beats the hell out of Direct Everywhere by a long shot! :)

I watched quite a few shows via Dish Anywhere. I'd like to be able to report that it all worked perfectly, but it didn't.

On the computer or iPad Mini, things were just fine. Great video, a/v sync was spot on, couldn't ask for more.

On the iPad version 1 things weren't so good. It would start off excellent, but usually lose connection (I think) and 'restart' the Sling session and it would then be in SQ not HQ which was the starting point. And once that happened, then a/v sync was off an annoying bit.

I don't think the problem was actually DA's fault. I think that the original iPad did 2.4Ghz networks vice the 5Ghz that the Mini and my MacBook Pro do, and possibly the issue was because of the 2.4Ghz wireless. My wireless network is a dual-band one, all Apple. But then there's a kicker! I watched a show online from Amazon Prime and it had no glitches at all on this same iPad.

So I have to wonder where/what the problem is. Possibly Dish Anywhere app is a little hungrier than the iPad 1 really likes??

Don't know how long you've had, warranty and the like, but DLPs aren't worth trying to save, unless you have that 73" or bigger honker. Tried that last year with my first, beloved 56" Sammy. Got a 60' plasma (third) to replace and will never look back. Plasmas are disgustingly cheap these days. Just my opinion. Hope you're back in "the Big time" soon. Good luck.

Its just the lamp. Green flashing light on the Mits signifies a dead bulb, not time to trash it yet and much cheaper than buying a new Plasma. Just replaced my lamp yesterday back to looking as good as the 2 Plasmas I have. Light Engine goes is when you buy the Plasma

I'm with ya. I was looking at replacing it. I was afraid it was something other than the lamp this time but my dlp is at the lake house now, so its not being used everyday like it was the past 4 yrs. Its a theft deterrent too, halfwits broke in on new years and stole the lightweight LCD that was there. They aint walking down the street with a 60in DLP.

I replaced the Sammy DLP HL-S5687 56" using lamp and color wheel with an upgrade 3-color LED HLT5676. It is slimmer, better focused, and much quieter. The wheel squeal was the driving force to replace it after they shipped 3 broken wheels and the servicer wouldn't work on it any more. It cost a lot more than current LCDs and so did LCDs then but that's history.

When not in torch/showroom mode it give one of the best color renderings. Unfortunately this mode also has the highest demand on the red LED, which is the one that goes out. Replaced that once since 2007 for about $100, cheaper than a bulb--it is on every day for many hours. To get an idea of the red LED drive, the heat sinks for blue:green:red have 6:14:28 vanes or fins.

They stopped making them and went with LED and plasma models. Mitsubishi uses a wheel--a bad idea IMO.

For reference DLP is digital light projection. It uses a light source and a TI chip with 1 million moving mirrors used at 2 positions, a reflecting mirror, a Fresnel lens to focus the light and a cylindrical lens (ribs) to reduce the vertical height and brighten the image in rear projection. There is no phosphor to burn an image. The mirrors' aim control brightness.

Most cheap DLP projectors have a smaller complement of mirrors so they do 720p or less in front projection.

-Ken

Last edited:
Don't know how long you've had, warranty and the like, but DLPs aren't worth trying to save, unless you have that 73" or bigger honker. Tried that last year with my first, beloved 56" Sammy. Got a 60' plasma (third) to replace and will never look back. Plasmas are disgustingly cheap these days. Just my opinion. Hope you're back in "the Big time" soon. Good luck.

This is a 6 month old 73" Mitsi, still within warranty and I also have an extended warranty on it. So I'm well covered for about 5 years! :)

Its just the lamp. Green flashing light on the Mits signifies a dead bulb, not time to trash it yet and much cheaper than buying a new Plasma. Just replaced my lamp yesterday back to looking as good as the 2 Plasmas I have. Light Engine goes is when you buy the Plasma

Hmmm....

I have a spare lamp that Mitsi sent me right after I bought the set last December. I'll switch today and see what happens. I wonder why the Mitsi CSR didn't suggest changing the lamp?

Hmmm....

I have a spare lamp that Mitsi sent me right after I bought the set last December. I'll switch today and see what happens. I wonder why the Mitsi CSR didn't suggest changing the lamp?
The lamp should not need replacing after just 6 months. Even if it is just the lamp, have a service tech check out the set anyway.

I did some reading on the 'fast blinking green' light and couldn't find anything about newer sets. All references were about much older sets, but indicated that it is a DMD (whatever that is) problem. Some bad caps according to those articles.

But it seems odd that there weren't any about newer sets if that is an issue. I'll keep digging since I can't call Mitsi until 10AM CDT.

And yeah, even if a lamp change fixes it, I'll keep mum so they send a tech out to diagnose and trouble shoot the set.

It's the Green Blinking Light of Death. I think a bulb failure is solid red. They capacitors in the circuit boards are prone to failure. My 52 inch had been relegated to the downstairs family room. 2 weeks before the extended warranty expired I had the GBLOD. TV was taken in for repair. Chassis was sent to Mitsu in NJ for a chassis rebuild. Came back and lasted less the 3 weeks before the same thing happened. Was sent back to Mitsu again. Came back and same thing happened within 2 weeks. At that time I talked Mitsu into giving me store credit wehere I purchased it. Good Luck

You're right, lamp is red light. I didn't get down and try and read the print above the lights. I had a red and a green flashing light. I still had the original lamp when mine went out last week so I swapped it out to check. It is so worn out I could barely see, but it worked and the lights were back to normal. I knew it was lamp and not light engine, so I ordered a new lamp and was back in business last Friday when it came in. With warranty though I would also still have Mits checking it whether it was lamp or not.

If you are unable to get the TV to turn on at all and it makes noise when trying to turn in on it may be a bad color wheel.

Well I"ve been a few days without the big screen, and while Dish Anywhere has been working mostly very well, some oddities have shown up.

1. Some recordings play fine, but play something entirely different from what is supposed to be recorded. Really weird, and I'd be willing to bet that when the big screen is back up and running those recordings will be just what they are supposed to be.

2. Sometimes the video sync seems out of sorts giving some overlay on the left side of the screen on the computer. Oddly this hasn't shown up when using the iPads.

As to the TV repair, Mitsi finally found one of their authorized centers willing to come over here and fix my set, but that servicer hasn't called me yet to set an appt. I called them this AM and their working hours are 8:30AM to Noon. I also noted that the only TV repair guy in the town next to me only works 1/2 day also. Gotta wonder if the TV repair business has fallen off this much if that means the new stuff is made better, or just more of the new stuff just not repairable.

<<<<<<is wishing more people would do their homework on Hd Televisions . Stick with LG or Samsung. You get what you paid for in most cases

You might be wishing for that, but those aren't the two brands I would consider at the top. Panasonic is much better in overall quality in their plasmas, and is an easier company to deal with if you do have problems.

And while Mitsi got out of the TV business, they are still supporting those in warranty.

I live in a very rural part of the country, so the dwindling TV repair business means some of the towns around here have one repairman, others have none. And that is what Mitsi is up against.

I would love to know how anyone gets Dish anywhere to work.

I'm currently attempting to watch a live program. My mobile device is pulling down about 40 mbps, and we have the highest consumer tier of Uverse broadband at home. Still, HQ is pretty much impossible to watch, and even SQ is pretty poor.

Is this an upload issue? It seems like the vast majority of Dish subscribers are going to have fairly low upload rates at home, regardless of their download rate/tier of service. I'll usually watch for a few minutes and then decide it isn't worth it.

Further, the app keeps telling me that my device doesn't have the necessary download speed. That's simply untrue: I routinely watch HD netflix and other HQ video streams on both my iphone and ipad over LTE with practically zero issues.

I'm using Anywhere inside my home network, it works fine there.

But yes, many of us, including me have low upload speeds which makes it not work very well at all. I tested it last time I was away from home, and though it worked fine the PQ was pretty bad. Personally I think that unless you have a pretty good upstream from your home, then Anywhere has limited value.

Since it will be next week before a tech even shows up to look at my TV, I've moved my 24" Sony PS3 3D display to the main viewing area. Set it up so that it is close enough to my recliner so that I can watch from there. Being single this works fine.

Anywhere was fine for watching stuff, but it isn't so good at managing recordings. My daily schedule when looked at from Anywhere wasn't showing many shows that I knew I had timers for, don't know why that is.

I use it reg. on an Ipad 3 and and Ipad 1 with no issues. I have a mid tier COX internet feed at home. I have GREAT pic quality when on a wifi connection and Great to more than acceptable when using the ATT connection on either. I stream a lot from Amazon Prime too on the Ipads or on devices at home with no issue. My experiance doens't help you and sorry to here some have issues but I wanted to weigh in that it works great for me. THe ONLY issue I have ha with it is at about 10 months my Sling adaptor on the 722K failed. Mid streaming of a show to my Ipad that was remote. Once dignosed, it was replaced under warrentee by Dish. I am happy with the feature and survice.

I would love to know how anyone gets Dish anywhere to work.

I'm currently attempting to watch a live program. My mobile device is pulling down about 40 mbps, and we have the highest consumer tier of Uverse broadband at home. Still, HQ is pretty much impossible to watch, and even SQ is pretty poor.

Is this an upload issue? It seems like the vast majority of Dish subscribers are going to have fairly low upload rates at home, regardless of their download rate/tier of service. I'll usually watch for a few minutes and then decide it isn't worth it.

Further, the app keeps telling me that my device doesn't have the necessary download speed. That's simply untrue: I routinely watch HD netflix and other HQ video streams on both my iphone and ipad over LTE with practically zero issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)