DIRT Please Help - Dish Says Hopper 3 Upgrade Not Possible

chris83

Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
I was chatting with a Dish Network rep online about upgrading to a Hopper 3; after a few minutes she came back with the response below:

"As of the moment we have no option to upgrade your receiver to Hopper 3. Upon checking your installation is not possible because the equipment the Hopper 3 uses can only look at three satellites when paired with a side dish, and does not support the four satellites your installation requires. Rest assured that Dish is finding ways to provide the receiver upgrade to your area."

Bummer, as I just bought a new 4K TV and would like to access that thru Dish and the new Hopper. Any help or further explanations out there? Thank you!

Reactions: mikeH_dishNetwork
I was chatting with a Dish Network rep online about upgrading to a Hopper 3; after a few minutes she came back with the response below:

"As of the moment we have no option to upgrade your receiver to Hopper 3. Upon checking your installation is not possible because the equipment the Hopper 3 uses can only look at three satellites when paired with a side dish, and does not support the four satellites your installation requires. Rest assured that Dish is finding ways to provide the receiver upgrade to your area."

Bummer, as I just bought a new 4K TV and would like to access that thru Dish and the new Hopper. Any help or further explanations out there? Thank you!
Well, there is VERY little 4K other than a few PPV's via Dish. There is NO broadcast 4K presently. Yes, upscaled 1080p would look good, but would not your 4k do the upscaling as well (I'm not really up on 4K TVs yet).. Maybe consider a Roku 3 for 4K via Netflix.

Well, there is VERY little 4K other than a few PPV's via Dish. There is NO broadcast 4K presently. Yes, upscaled 1080p would look good, but would not your 4k do the upscaling as well (I'm not really up on 4K TVs yet).. Maybe consider a Roku 3 for 4K via Netflix.
I don't believe my internet speed (10mps) is fast enough for the Netflix 4K; at least that's what I've been told.

Then what 4 satellites you are using?
Most of the east cost need 2, and very few 3.
West cost use 3.
In which state do you live? What kind of antenna and receiver do you have.

If you have one of our VIP series receivers can you press the buttons of; Menu> System Setup> Installation> System Info. Allow box A to reach 100% and let me know what you have for the satellites please.

Reactions: navychop
Yes, upscaled 1080p would look good, but would not your 4k do the upscaling as well (I'm not really up on 4K TVs yet)

Actually, the H3 doesn't do any upscaling. That would be left to the TV to do any upconverting to 4K from the H3 output. The H3 only outputs 4K when watching a 4K VOD/PPV or when tuning to a 4K channel (when present, like during the olympics). It handles 4K similar to the way the Hoppers handle 1080p VOD/PPV. The rest of the time it outputs the standard 1080i.

Reactions: Tampa8
The first somewhat honest response from Dish as to why an H3 upgrade has been denied. However, it has been posted in this forum that Dish has had WRONG information about what sats a customer is seeing. In those cases, Dish has corrected the data and upon finding that it would require only ONE reflector, an H3 install has been approved. At least this response from Dish provides some truth and enough information for a customer to follow up with Dish if they have the wrong info on your account.

Dish can, in fact, technically provide for a 4 sat install of the H3, but it would require a SECOND reflector, and Dish aint a paying for that. A 2nd reflector among many installs apparantly costs Dish a lot of money. At least this time the phoney baloney excuuse of "low angle" was not used. Good for Dish.

As for the rest of us who would require at least TWO reflectors for ONE H3 or FOUR reflectors (2 for each H3) for TWO H3's, Dish corp officer (Vivek) has reported that a NEW switch is supposed to be relased at the end of this year that can look at 4 sats AND allow for multiple H3 installs using only ONE reflector. Now that makes a 4 sat or 4 sat with multiple H3 install economical. We are waiting until then. The only other option to a TWO H3 install is to have TWO seperate accounts. I was also denied an install for my 4 sat with TWO H3 (to replace my two HWS's) install, but the new switch is coming SOOOOOONNNN! I'll be among the first in line when it is available.

Thank you Dish for at least responding more honestly to these more costly H3 installs. I keep forgetting the official designation of the new switch, but I am a waiting for sure.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The first somewhat honest response from Dish as to why an H3 upgrade has been denied. However, it has been posted in this forum that Dish has had WRONG information about what sats a customer is seeing. In those cases, Dish has corrected the data and upon finding that it would require only ONE reflector, an H3 install has been approved. At least this response from Dish provides some truth and enough information for a customer to follow up with Dish if they have the wrong info on your account.

Dish can, in fact, technically provide for a 4 sat install of the H3, but it would require a SECOND reflector, and Dish aint a paying for that. A 2nd reflector among many installs apparantly costs Dish a lot of money. At least this time the phoney baloney excuuse of "low angle" was not used. Good for Dish.

As for the rest of us who would require at least TWO reflectors for ONE H3 or FOUR reflectors (2 for each H3) for TWO H3's, Dish corp officer (Vivek) has reported that a NEW switch is supposed to be relased at the end of this year that can look at 4 sats AND allow for multiple H3 installs using only ONE reflector. Now that makes a 4 sat or 4 sat with multiple H3 install economical. We are waiting until then. The only other option to a TWO H3 install is to have TWO seperate accounts. I was also denied an install for my 4 sat with TWO H3 (to replace my two HWS's) install, but the new switch is coming SOOOOOONNNN! I'll be among the first in line when it is available.

Thank you Dish for at least responding more honestly to these more costly H3 installs. I keep forgetting the official designation of the new switch, but I am a waiting for sure.
DPH42 switch

Was the response deleted, all I see is a response from dirt to check satellites.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

What the hell does someone need 2 hopper 3's for?

Because there is a very important soup operas out there !!!

couchpot.jpg

12373701_f520.jpg

o-ADDICTED-TV-facebook.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)