DIRT Question Regarding Cancellation

BPeter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Mpls., MN
Hello Dish Internet Response Team,
I will be moving in less than two weeks, and I believe it is time for me to part ways with Dish Network. I have been a customer for quite some time, and a happy one at that.
However, with a new home, I am going to be looking for ways to shave off a little on my TV bill, and from what I can tell, Dish may have the "Dish Mover" plan, but it simply does not compete with low introductory offers on Directv. What do I need to return to Dish when I move out of my current home. I currently have a 622, 722, a switch, power inserter, and dish.
Do I need to have boxes sent for shipping? Once I have cancelled, how long do I have to get the equipment in the mail? Can I cancel on a date in the future (Day I move out)?
Thanks,
Bryan

P.S. - I would entertain an offer to stay with Dish, but the "Dish Mover" Free three months of premiums and free installation isn't going to cut it.
If I were to stay with Dish, I would need 1 Hopper, and three Joey's free of charge, and pricing that would look similar to a new customer.

Last edited:
Wow,
I was addressing the DIRT folks, but thanks for snide comment.
For the record I have been a customer of Dish for about 10 years. I have paid for each and every upgrade that I have received. I don't even want to think about how much money I have paid dish for their service.
I have been a champion of their services to others who have subscribed because I told them of the great features of Dish Products. I am simply in a situation where I need to establish new service at a new home.
Directv offers a Genie and up to four Genie Minis for free, along with reduced pricing on their programming for 3 years. Dish doesn't have to do anything, and I won't be offended if they don't. I am simply stating that as a longtime customer, if they want to keep me using their services, I would at a minimum like to see my equipment updated to the latest and not have to pay for that upgrade. I don't think that is unreasonable, as I am FAR from getting ANYTHING for free.

A PM or email to DIRT would have been more appropriate. Why advertise your leaving unless you want snide comments.

Wow,
For the record I have been a customer of Dish for about 10 years. I have paid for each and every upgrade that I have received. I don't even want to think about how much money I have paid dish for their service.
I have been a champion of their services to others who have subscribed because I told them of the great features of Dish Products. I am simply in a situation where I need to establish new service at a new home.
Directv offers a Genie and up to four Genie Minis for free, along with reduced pricing on their programming for 3 years. Dish doesn't have to do anything, and I won't be offended if they don't. I am simply stating that as a longtime customer, if they want to keep me using their services, I would at a minimum like to see my equipment updated to the latest and not have to pay for that upgrade. I don't think that is unreasonable, as I am FAR from getting ANYTHING for free.
Money aside, You might want to do some investigating in the Directv forum regarding those minis. What little I read makes me think it's better to go with additional HR**. Anyway, make sure what you are moving to is as good or better than what you are moving from.

Not Free?

Let me see if I've got this straight ... You don't want anything for free...all you want is an upgrade to the latest equipment without having to pay for it...hmmmmm

Wow,
I'm not belittling you your decision, but in the future when wanting to address the Dirt folks, do just that with a direct PM. They might even surprise you with a pretty good deal to reconsider. Otherwise, you now know what you open yourself up to.

Last edited:
IF you are out of contract and a long time customer, They will give you the same deal as a new customer, you may have to ask for supervisor.
I would call Dish customer service, make sure you tell them that you are a long time customer, and that you have check out Direct TV.

And to answer the other jerks, I pay for my units with my 2 year agreement. Only stupid people pays for stuff that are no additional cost to other.

Perhaps I could have phrased my message a bit better. I am not perfect. I appreciate the constructive feedback.
I will contact Dish and see what options I have. I am out of contract for sure.
Can anyone tell me how to PM the DIRT folks? I don't know how.
I have been a customer for about 10 years, have used 2 year agreements to get new equipment on occasion, but I have certainly paid for some of it as well.
Even with the Contract extensions, there was almost always a cost.
Hopefully I can work out something with Dish, that will keep me a customer for another 10 years.

He was just asking a question and yeah dirt can help him better but why does snide comments have to be said for. ? People jump between dish and direct every 2 years. My contract is up with dish in January so I plan on asking for a deal to stay and if not then I'll leave . It's not like if customers leave that it impacts dish's pocketbook.

Perhaps I could have phrased my message a bit better. I am not perfect. I appreciate the constructive feedback.
I will contact Dish and see what options I have. I am out of contract for sure.
Can anyone tell me how to PM the DIRT folks? I don't know how.
I have been a customer for about 10 years, have used 2 year agreements to get new equipment on occasion, but I have certainly paid for some of it as well.
Even with the Contract extensions, there was almost always a cost.
Hopefully I can work out something with Dish, that will keep me a customer for another 10 years.
Was DIRT able to help you two years ago, when you tried reaching out to them?? You never posted an update to that thread....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/257671-Dish-Internet-Response-Team-Please-ViP-622-on-the-way-out-wondering-about-options?p=2554445#post2554445

He was just asking a question and yeah dirt can help him better but why does snide comments have to be said for. ? People jump between dish and direct every 2 years. My contract is up with dish in January so I plan on asking for a deal to stay and if not then I'll leave . It's not like if customers leave that it impacts dish's pocketbook.

NO, it does not impact Dish, they just pass the cost on to their customers that are paying for your freebies and that is why we are being snide.

BPeter, Hi, to contact DIRT, go to the top of this page and click on FORUM. Scroll down that page almost to bottom and look for "What's Going On" on the green banner. Look for "Online Support Staff Currently Available:" DIRT team member will be in RED. Click on name and send PM when their page opens.

Oops, sorry KAB.

cosmo_kramer - Yes, Matt from DIRT (at the time, not sure if he is still around) was able to help me. He was great, I talked to him on the phone, got the new 622, and all has worked since.

lazydogmot and KAB, thanks for the heads up on how to start a PM with DIRT. Last time around (as cosmos_kramer found) I posted in a similar manner and Matt reached out to me, so that is honestly how I thought it worked.

jerryez - seems as though I too have been a victim of paying for everyone else to get freebies for 10 years.

I don't mind paying something after my 2 years is up. If a new hopper is released next year and I have to pay near full price for one then I'll gladly walk. I won't mind paying something but in exchange for another 2 years with dish I'd hope they would offer me a decent deal to stay.

Wow,

Screw all the haters.

If you're not under contract, you have no obligation to a provider. Dish and DirecTV are the ones who set the rules, and if you play the game, then more power to you. If Company A doesn't want to give you what you want/need but Company B will, then by all means move on. And in two years you can play the game (once again according to the rules set by the providers) and see what you can get.

Oh and one more thing, screw the haters!

Just thought I would provide an update. PM'd Jason from the DIRT Group. He was very nice, and connected me directly to the loyalty folks at Dish.
Dish will be keeping me as a customer for the foreseeable future. Very happy with what they were willing to provide for a loyal customer.
The two folks I talked to provided great customer service, and I look forward to having Dish be my provider for years to come.
Really excited not to have to learn all new channel numbers as well!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)