disable CC on tv 2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

2001kx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
vip722k
i cant disable the closed caption from tv 2?
when i go into the menu to disable it (CC) is grayed out and i cant click on it?
any ideas?

vip722k
i cant disable the closed caption from tv 2?
when i go into the menu to disable it (CC) is grayed out and i cant click on it?
any ideas?
The receiver does not feed CC to TV2. It will be coming from the TV,not the DISH Network receiver.

Last edited:
Actually I wish it DID send CC to TV-2. Personally, I think having it for TV-1 is redundant since I haven't seen an HDTV that didn't have CC. Anyway, just my 2 cents... thanks for listening :)

Actually I wish it DID send CC to TV-2. Personally, I think having it for TV-1 is redundant since I haven't seen an HDTV that didn't have CC. Anyway, just my 2 cents... thanks for listening :)

I will pass your feedback along to the right department. It would be nice to have the abiltiy on both outputs.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think CC is sent over an HDMI or Component cables. Therefor Dish needs to encode the CC in the picture before sending it over the HDMI/Component cables.

The signal to TV2 is an rf signal, same as you get over the air or on analog cable, these signals carry the CC along with the picture and sound and are decoded by the TV.

I connected my tv with rgb to test this....& I can get CC through rgb. Don't have rf cable to test this out.

Will be good if dish is able to send cc to tv2 though otherwise tv2 cc is not in sync

Yes, it is...from the Dish receiver.
Do you mean digitally, or encoded in the top of the picture (which I maintain is a mistake). If it's there in the digital stream, then why oh why didn't they make it work like they did for NTSC, via TV mute?

I stand to be corrected but I don't think CC is sent over an HDMI or Component cables. Therefor Dish needs to encode the CC in the picture before sending it over the HDMI/Component cables.

The signal to TV2 is an rf signal, same as you get over the air or on analog cable, these signals carry the CC along with the picture and sound and are decoded by the TV.

Exactly correct. Unlike OTA or using a coax connection, the channel being watched is not sending CC information over HDMI. Therefore, the Dish receiver has to decode it and send it. When using the RF signal/coax the CC information is being sent by the channel so the Dish receiver does not get the information, your TV does like always. That arrangement is better to me because my TV will only display CC when muted if I want it to, the Dish receiver does not seem to have that setting.

I believe it's decoded. My point was that regardless, you do get CC when connected via HDMI.

Yes, but you only quoted part of his comment. He is correct, it is not sent over HDMI, UNLESS the Dish receiver does it, unlike the coax, where it IS sent over the connection without the Dish receiver. CC information is not sent over HDMI is a correct statement. That's different than saying it can not be sent over HDMI.

Do you mean digitally, or encoded in the top of the picture (which I maintain is a mistake). If it's there in the digital stream, then why oh why didn't they make it work like they did for NTSC, via TV mute?

Because it's not being sent to where the TV can control it - to the Tuner. What you want is for the Dish receiver to have that function.

Tampa, you're not answering my question to KAB very well. Are you saying that the CC are encoded as a separate digital stream over HDMI, or placed as pictures of text in the video stream? (Note that the NTSC way is to send pictures of data in the VBI, not as pictures of text within the viewable portion of the video.)

Lol... I did swerve away from that, because I am not sure, there is no standard in how a cable/satellite box has to send it. But my answer about why can't the TV do it if it is a digital stream just as was before does not really need to know that. Either way, the TV can not control it because it's not going to the tuner via HDMI.

In your defense ;) my question to KAB wasn't worded very well either. I think everything over HDMI is digital, and my question to KAB made it appear as though I thought there were some pins carrying analog. Are there?

From the behavior I observe, it would appear that the Dish receiver itself can decode the CC from the satellite digital data stream, and overlay the text on the digital video data stream over HDMI to the TV. This prevents the TV from turning it off, since the picture where the text is cannot be reconstructed out of nothing. Muting the TV does nothing to the presence or absence of CC on a TV using HDMI.

If CC is possible over HDMI as a separate data stream (and this is really what I was trying to ask), then it would be the TV itself decoding and displaying CC. So the TV itself could turn CC on and off with a mute button. None of my HDTVs will do this. :(

I see what you are saying. Just thinking about how the HDMI is routed, no matter how the information is being sent, even with a separate data stream being sent to the screen, it's not through the tuner of the TV however. You would need something that reads the CC information at each HDMI input on the TV, for the TV to be able to control it. (Just as each HDMI has the ability to have separate controls for color, contrast, etc...) That could be done of course.
I have never seen in any of the forums (AVS, etc..) where a TV has that ability.
To me, it would still be easier to just have the Dish receiver have a mute function that shows the CC info, controlled on the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)