Disabling 522 DVR on 2nd TV

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
I am sure this will be addressed in the manual I get for this DVR but I figured it may influence what tvs hook up to this. I plan to have the 522 mainly hooked up for my TV in my bedroom and have the 2nd tuner going to my tv for my nephew in the porch. I read that this DVR shares all programming and I was wondering if you could lock the DVR out for the 2nd tuner (via parental controls perhaps).

Also, this is a separate issue really but would I be able to switch to single mode and watch 2 channels on 1 tv easily? (e.g. when the 2nd tv isn't used when it is on dual mode, switch to single mode when I wanna record 1 station and record another).

Thanks in advance!

I can answer part of your question. In single mode you can watch a show on tv 1 and record a show to tv 2 at the same time. You can also use PIP.

jaelae said:
Dang... will the person using TV2 be able to delete the shows recorded on TV1?
Yes, however you can sort of protect shows from 'accidentally' being deleted. When a DVR event is protected, you can't delete it until you unprotect it. I don't think the protection uses any sort of passwords though.

The 522 is just a siamese (sorry, 'conjoined') glorified digital VCR but with a hard disk drive (HDD) instead of the VC. :)

The 522 does support single user mode....You can lock the 2nd user out. This was implemented in a recent firmware update.

Jason

TuxCoder said:
When a DVR event is protected, you can't delete it until you unprotect it.
That's actually not true. DVR events can be deleted just the same as non-protected ones.

The only advantage to protecting them is so they won't get deleted if the HD gets full. It'll move on to a later, non-protected event.

Ah, that's pointless (I would rather it just not touch my existing events when the drive is full). Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

Hmm that sorta sucks then. Well perhaps someone can make this one thing a little clearer. I mentioned this above about the single and dual mode but I wanted to find out what is needed to switch from the modes all the time. For instance, if it is setup for dual mode (so TV 1 and TV 2 both use the DVR) most of the time, is it a simple click of the button to switch to single mode so TV1 will use both tuners? Or does the 2nd cable running to TV2 have to be changed somehow so that TV1 uses it.

I hope I am wording the above clearly but this is a bit important since if I am unable to do this, I will just use a 510 for my room so I won't worry about my stuff getting deleted.

Yes it's a simple click of the button. But that button is only on the receiver's front panel, there is no remote control support to switch between the two modes. Many of us are hoping they implement remote controlled mode switching some time though.

And you really should read the "522 single mode" instructions found at the top of the DVR 522 subform here. BTW, moderators, this thread needs moved in there as well. But anyways, those instructions should answer any questions you have on single mode.

I read those instructions earlier and it showed the Mode button being on the remote control (or so I thought by the pic). This is much better for me though if it is on the receiver itself.

Darn nephew of mine is the biggest problem when it comes to gadgets. I maybe better off leaving the 522 in his parents room so he doesn't mess around (perhaps single tuner receiver would work better for me).

I read about both the 522 and 510 and well, are there any major differences (aside that one can support two tuners) between the two? I read through both of their manuals and can't see anything that stands out but do firmware updates that I see coming out to update the 522 come out for the 510 as well (like they are the same thing aside for the dual mode)?

You can set locks on the 522 that will require a password to delete a protected recording. I can't remember the exact sequence of lock options you have to do but I've had it work in the past (unless a newer software version changed this recently).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts