Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been reading about this and I wonder if there is consumer grade receivers that use it. I'm asking because my receiver is located near the TV while the Gbox is in the basement. The receiver doesn't provide a pulse count so I don't know if the dish is moving unless I go look outside or go down into the basement to look at the Gbox. Normally, this is just an issue with initial installation or re-alignment of the dish. My understanding is that Diseqc 2.x is bi-directional communication which would mean that receivers using that standard could display the dish location from a dish mover. I know, I'm asking for too much. Besides, it's good exercise running up and down the stairs.

PCI(e) cards and software usually supports DiSEqC 2.0/2.1/2.2. MY Prof and TBS cards support these 2-way protocols. Not aware of any STB that supports DiSEqC 2.2

DiSEqC 2.x must be supported by both devices. I Do not know of any DiSEqC positioner / controller that is DiSEc 2.2 compatible, but have seen a few HH motors or upgrade boards supporting DiSEqC 2.2.

PCI(e) cards and software usually supports DiSEqC 2.0/2.1/2.2. MY Prof and TBS cards support these 2-way protocols. Not aware of any STB that supports DiSEqC 2.2

DiSEqC 2.x must be supported by both devices. I Do not know of any DiSEqC positioner / controller that is DiSEc 2.2 compatible, but have seen a few HH motors or upgrade boards supporting DiSEqC 2.2.

I'm sure that it would cost more to implement Diseqc 2.x but it would eliminate things like the GeoSatPro from trying to move the dish when it's already pointed at the satellite that I want to blind scan and/or edit transponders. I guess I'll just have to wait for the "Moving Dish" box to disappear or press the Exit key on the remote.

STBs only needs to verify signal lock to prevent issuing control commands. As in the case of the micro, often the chipset SOC code prevents the developer from major logic routine changes. Recent ALI chipsets and SOC now allow the tuner feedback to be applied to the logic sequences.

It would cost pennies in hardware to enable DiSEqC 2.x, but the protocol is not widely implemented in available hardware. A 2.x system would require all components to pass com in both directions.

Since the protocol has been around for 20 years, I seriously doubt that we will ever see 2.x widely implemented in DVBS. What comes first? The chicken or the egg? In this case? Neither... :D

Reactions: KE4EST
Bummer. Hopefully, future FTA stuff will have bi-directional communications. Another reason for having the two-way comm is that I was putting my 90 cm dish back into service when I found that it wasn't moving east of 0 because something messed up the software limits. I would've discovered the problem sooner if there was a display on the screen showing the counts and/or an error message showing that I hit a limit. A similar issue for the BUD - the Gbox for the BUD shows counts and error messages but it's remotely located to the basement where I can't see the box. I'd have the Gbox in the living room but I'm trying to keep the amount of equipment and wiring to a minimum so as to appease the wife. Anyway, just like the Azbox, they'll probably never fix all the stuff that needs fixing.

Wow Brian you beat me to posting almost the same thing! :D
So re-doing my post...
My assumption is he means by "fixing", is that companies will start adding 2.x to everything????
However, if one chooses not to add a feature to their product, does not mean it is broke.

I'll add... It isn't necessarily as simple as a firmware solution.

Several years ago I had looked into the chipsets and hardware used for several versions of the G/V Boxes and it did not support 2.0.

I'll add... It isn't necessarily as simple as a firmware solution.

Several years ago I had looked into the chipsets and hardware used for several versions of the G/V Boxes and it did not support 2.0.

I wasn't talking about your product. Unless others want Diseqc 2.x, I wouldn't bother. Until someone produces receivers with that version it wouldn't be worth the effort.

My main complaint is products like the Azbox that no longer have support and stuff is broken. For example, a factory reset causes the video to revert to PAL that requires using a composite video connection in order to visually see what the settings would be. Then there's the issue where you must have at least one transponder programmed per programmed satellite or the channel lists will get corrupted (what a major hassle that is to fix). And then there's the YouTube issue (doesn't work with firmware 0.9.5402). And then there's the Luken mux issue on C-band SES2. I don't know why the Luken mux works on the GeoSatPro and not on the Azbox. Apparently, these things aren't going to be fixed. I haven't used my GeoSatPro much so I haven't encountered any significant issues yet - I have heard of a boot-loop problem but there's a work-around. Anyway, there are other devices outside of satellite equipment and it seems that software/hardware issues are commonplace. I guess that's the state of electronics/computers/software for the foreseeable future and I'll just have to live with it. So, ignore my growling.

Reactions: Titanium
I had understood and wasn't referencing the ASC1 either. Just wanted to provide you with a little more background on the 2.x compliant devices that I know of. Because of the lack of STB support, I had never considered DiSEqC 2.2 support for the ASC1 until was asked about it a few months ago.

Yes, you are so correct! Firmware support quickly falls off the map after the sale for most STBs. If things aren't fixed within the first 3-6 months, a new model comes out.... :(

Reactions: jorgek
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)