Discovery, ESPN unveil 3D channels

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
C21Media:

Two new dedicated 3D television channels are set to launch in the US, with sportscaster ESPN debuting its offering this year, and Discovery teaming up with Sony and Imax for a joint-venture network in 2011.

The first broadcast by Disney-owned ESPN's ESPN 3D will be the opening 2010 FIFA World Cup match on June 11.

The network is promising a minimum of 85 live 3D events during its first year, including up to 25 World Cup matches. Other 3D events will include Summer X Games, college basketball and college football.

Discovery Communications, meanwhile, is teaming up with Sony and Imax to launch what it bills as the US's first 24/7 dedicated 3D network, in 2011.

All three companies have signed a letter of intent to be equal partners in the JV, which will feature content "from genres that are most appealing in 3D," including natural history, space, exploration, adventure, engineering, science and technology, motion pictures and children's programming from Discovery, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Imax and other third-party providers.

Discovery will provide network services, including affiliate sales and technical support functions, as well as 3D rights to Discovery content and cross-promotion across its portfolio of 13 US nets. Sony will provide advertising and sponsorship sales support, and will seek to license TV rights to current and future 3D feature films, music-related 3D content and game-related 3D content, while providing cross-promotion at retail stores.

Imax will also license TV rights to future 3D films, promotion through its owned-and-operated movie theatres across the US, and a suite of proprietary and patented image enhancement and 3D technologies.

The JV will be governed by a board of directors comprising members from each of the three companies, with the day-to-day operations run by a separate staff and management team reporting to the board. A search for the venture's general manager will begin immediately.

"By partnering with Sony and Imax on 3D, Discovery will lead the way in revolutionising the next-generation home viewing experience in the US and around the world," said Discovery Communications president and CEO David Zaslav.

"Today's announcement is the next step in fulfilling Discovery's mission of providing groundbreaking content for our affiliate partners and enlightening viewers with the most immersive and realistic viewing experience available anywhere."

ESPN said it had been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years. "This will be a meaningful step to drive adoption of 3D television sets and afford opportunities for our affiliates to create value through new product offerings, and our advertisers, who want fresh sponsorship opportunities," said Sean Bratches, ESPN's exec VP of sales and marketing.

The announcements come as the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) – one of the biggest events on the tech calendar – kicks off in Las Vegas. 3D is expected to be the dominant theme at this year's event, with 3D-ready TV sets expected to be unveiled by companies such as LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.

In tandem with the networks' announcements, UK satcaster BSkyB has announced that its forthcoming Sky 3D TV service, launching later this year, will be compatible with "a wide range" of 3D-ready TVs being launched in the UK and Ireland in 2010, including the devices to be unveiled at CES.

Wow!

Goaliebob: Wow! I'm waiting to see the new 3D TVs, what they cost, etc. and just what is Dish going to do? While I do love their DVRs, they had better keep current with this if they want to keep me as a customer.

--Doug

Goaliebob: Wow! I'm waiting to see the new 3D TVs, what they cost, etc. and just what is Dish going to do? While I do love their DVRs, they had better keep current with this if they want to keep me as a customer.

--Doug
Because we all know how many other providers have 3D channel offerings...:rolleyes:

So which providers will be carrying these 3D signals? I'll buy a 3DTV to watch 25 World Cup games in 3D. It is certainly much cheaper than flying to South Africa and buying tickets. Plus home access to premium ale and no line at the bathroom.

BTW do guys in your hometown line up at the sinks when things get really busy?

There's no additional cost to add 3D to a TV. If the TV has a fast enough refresh rate, it just needs a little software mod and a jack for the eyeglass controller. Samsung DLPs have been 3D ready since 2007. All DLPs and plasmas and some LCDs are fast enough for 3D. You just have to buy the eyeglasses and controller to make the TV's 3D functional.

I wonder if 3d HDTV Is going to be the next big thing that providers are going to nickle and dime and then yank the quality like they did with HD. To me this seems like hype to recapture the glory days of HDTV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no additional cost to add 3D to a TV. If the TV has a fast enough refresh rate, it just needs a little software mod and a jack for the eyeglass controller. Samsung DLPs have been 3D ready since 2007. All DLPs and plasmas and some LCDs are fast enough for 3D. You just have to buy the eyeglasses and controller to make the TV's 3D functional.

Huh? I have a Sony XBR4 52" LCD with 120hz refresh. I don't think it has anywhere to plug in a controller for a wired 3D adapter, although the specs are similar to the sets coming out that support 3D.

Huh? I have a Sony XBR4 52" LCD with 120hz refresh. I don't think it has anywhere to plug in a controller for a wired 3D adapter, although the specs are similar to the sets coming out that support 3D.
If your set doesn't have the 3D jack, you're out of luck. I'm waiting to hear if my two Samsungs with the 3D jack will work with anything being announced at CES.

I learned my lesson from HD and how I rushed out in 2004 and overpaid for everything (tv, receiver, hd package). It really wasn't worth it. I'm going to give this technology at least 3 years before I even considering jumping in. Let the other people be the test dummies for once.

I can just picture it now, Directv commercials- Peyton and Eli Manning announcing Directv the Leader in 3D HD with 5 3D HD channels Lol.

If your set doesn't have the 3D jack, you're out of luck. I'm waiting to hear if my two Samsungs with the 3D jack will work with anything being announced at CES.

I too have a Samsung DLP that was billed as "3D-ready" back when I bought it in '07. I went to Samsung's website to do some research and did find that indeed the Samsung's with a 3D port on the back do have a faster refresh rate and theoretically will be able to work with 3D movies, games, ect. The problem is, in the user manual, where it talks about that 3D input/output (or whatever it is), it simply tells you to refer to a samsung DLP 3D website that I could not get to work. There is also a question in the FAQ section for my TV on samsungs website about "What does 3D ready mean?" The attached PDF is information about answering that question. All that being said, its still hard to tell whether this new stuff at CES and these new channels from ESPN and Discovery will work on these DLP's, or what kind of hardware will be needed to do so if indeed it is capable. Anybody have any further info about these "3D ready DLP's" of old?

Attachments

• What Does 3D Ready Mean.pdf
    614.3 KB · Views: 247
I changed my stance on 3d, this thing is going to be a monumental failure on par with divx and 3do. I just can't imagine having people over for a game and everyone walking around with 3d glasses. Not to mention the eye strain this will cause.

Anybody have any further info about these "3D ready DLP's" of old?
Samsung's press release says their 3D Blu-ray player will work with all their existing 3D ready TVs and TVs with the new standards too. Now the big question is how much is this gonna cost me for the player, glasses and controller?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)