discovery HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ECK27

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
is it me or has discovery hd picture quality looked blury the last couple days :shocked

It has a bit here and there - looked really bad on my brothers setup (Cable TV HD) also.

It has looked horrible the last few days. Picture is shaky and resolution is terrible. I was about to mention this myself. Currently the channel is unwatchable.

I have seen these same issues on other forums. I have had no problem at all with Discovery HD. I have one H-10 and two HTL-HD receivers, all are getting great PQ.

ECK27 said:
is it me or has discovery hd picture quality looked blury the last couple days :shocked

I don't see it as blurry, but the resolution is not as sharp as it used to be. Looks watered down.

I think they are running out of bandwidth and robbing from Peter to pay Paul. When ever there are HD sports (NFL - HD, baseball, etc.) events on, it seems the picture quality of ESPN & Discovery drops. Sure hope they can get those new birds up there soon, they really need them.

Note: I had also noticed it on my brothers setup, which is HDTV via cable TV.

Not only was Discovery a little "grainy (down-res'd to save bandwidth), but Football on ESPN ha the same look last night. Really, its all d* HD channels, especially HDNET looks "fuzzy" or lower quality quiet often.

Its really rather frustrating when I compare the quality of my OTA signals to what is fed through D*, night and day difference in quality. :no

Yepper...

Its not the fault of Discovery HD or ESPNHD, it is D* and nothing but D*, IMO...

I also have Charter cable HD, and the comparison between Charter HD and D* HD is laughable...

I really cant understand how D* gets away with calling it HD....

Rest assured, Discovery HD is still a beautiful thing if you arent viewing it via D*...

I do not watch Discovery HD, HDnet HDnet Movies through D* anymore. I do not watch the locals through D* either. It is a shame to call it HD.

There are other things that are tying me up right now. If by this time next year this situation is not resolved, I may have to.

Sean Mota said:
I do not watch Discovery HD, HDnet HDnet Movies through D* anymore. I do not watch the locals through D* either. It is a shame to call it HD.

I see the koolaid wore off. LOL

guffy1 said:
Yepper...

Its not the fault of Discovery HD or ESPNHD, it is D* and nothing but D*, IMO...

I also have Charter cable HD, and the comparison between Charter HD and D* HD is laughable...

I really cant understand how D* gets away with calling it HD....

Rest assured, Discovery HD is still a beautiful thing if you arent viewing it via D*...

I agree here. I am curently trying Charter's HD in Madison WI and while I openly admit I hate cable TV, they offered me an outstanding deal so I had to try them. I still have D* and compare the 2 often. Chatrter only offers a Component out on the HD DVR box and I use the DVI on D* and the picture quality shows no difference. I used to be able to easily see the diff but no more. They must be doing something to the PQ on D* if Charter's Component looks same as D* True Digital picture via DVI(monster).

Sure wish D* could improve their PQ...
question for everyone....Is a component connnection really giving me a "digital" signal Charter claims it is or this only possible with a true digital connection i.e. DVI, HDMI?

Sean, I can't help but notice that this thread is not full of complaints about Discovery HD. It's not like the H-10 problem or not the kind of response that the DVR rebate is getting. (although the latter is a complete different kind subject) At any rate I get the feeling that this problem is more isolated. I also live in NY and am able to get the HD locals off air as well as through D. I see no real difference in PQ in one over the other. Also as I said earlier I have no issues with Discovery HD. I'm just wondering if there is a common denominator here. Do those that have these issues share something in common? Like same receiver or same model TV? Just curious......Rich

rockaway1836 said:
Sean, I can't help but notice that this thread is not full of complaints about Discovery HD. It's not like the H-10 problem or not the kind of response that the DVR rebate is getting. (although the latter is a complete different kind subject) At any rate I get the feeling that this problem is more isolated. I also live in NY and am able to get the HD locals off air as well as through D. I see no real difference in PQ in one over the other. Also as I said earlier I have no issues with Discovery HD. I'm just wondering if there is a common denominator here. Do those that have these issues share something in common? Like same receiver or same model TV? Just curious......Rich

I can only tell you how significant the difference is when I compare E* and D* on the same channels. It is like night and day.

vurbano said:
I see the koolaid wore off. LOL

You could say that again... :D Everyone complaint about V*'s PQ but V*'s PQ was outstanding compare to what D* is sending on certain HD channels.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
question for everyone....Is a component connnection really giving me a "digital" signal Charter claims it is or this only possible with a true digital connection i.e. DVI, HDMI?

DVI/HDMI connection will give you a true Digital feed from the box to your TV as long as your HDTV supports this. This is very noticeably with the DLPs. However, this does not say that component will not give you similar results. For example, Some Sony's HDTV do an analog/digital convertion through component that makes the final image look very similar to the DLPs. The short answer to your question is unless your cable company downsize the component feed to 480p, you are still getting the feed at either 720p/1080i. It is up to your HDTV native resolution after it leaves the box. I do not think there is a provider yet downrizing the component video so you should be safe to know that you are getting HD.

Same here

I thought It was a little shakey and blurry. What gives? When I had Charter, Discover ROCKED.

sltmag said:
It has looked horrible the last few days. Picture is shaky and resolution is terrible. I was about to mention this myself. Currently the channel is unwatchable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts