Discovery Plus

Just reported that Discovery+ just surpassed 15 million subs, that means, roughly, it is getting $75 million a month and that is on top of ads sales, TV providers per sub fee, etc it was already getting.

A lot of those are free for a year..i.e verizon promotion

Just reported that Discovery+ just surpassed 15 million subs, that means, roughly, it is getting $75 million a month and that is on top of ads sales, TV providers per sub fee, etc it was already getting.

Just announced, now up to 20 million subs already. that means it is taking in at least $100 million a month ( over $1.2 billion a year) plus the money it gets from Live TV Providers ( all of which are letting Broadcasters take away content to be on their streaming services) for channel fees and advertising money.

No wonder they are able to leverage their holdings and take over Warner from AT&T.

Just announced, now up to 20 million subs already. that means it is taking in at least $100 million a month ( over $1.2 billion a year) plus the money it gets from Live TV Providers ( all of which are letting Broadcasters take away content to be on their streaming services) for channel fees and advertising money.

No wonder they are able to leverage their holdings and take over Warner from AT&T.

Will be interesting to see whether they maintain Discovery+ as a separate service or just fold it into a super-sided HBO Max. They've now launched Discovery+ in Europe, where it's folding in/replacing their earlier, smaller direct-to-consumer services Dplay and Eurosport Player. (Looks like Discovery+ will include live sports in Europe.) And of course here in the US, HBO Max absorbed the fledgling DC Universe video service.

If HBO Max does absorb Discovery+, it probably increases the chance that HBO Max gets renamed to something without "HBO" in the name. I understand AT&T's naming decision, to build off of the already well-known and respected HBO brand, but the reality is that HBO Max's content library (and intended appeal) goes way beyond the core HBO brand. Adding in stuff from brands like HGTV, Food and Animal Planet would take it even further from its roots in adult prestige shows and Hollywood movies.

Since Dish customers with HBO get HBO Max for free I would be very happy if they folded the Discovery + Library into it.

I had Discovery + for a year and it was my least used service so I didn’t renew it.

If they fold it in and jump the price, as much as I like D+ I'm gone. I bought in because it got me Animal Planet and a small handful of other shows at a reasonable price. A fold in would add nothing for me.

Since Dish customers with HBO get HBO Max for free I would be very happy if they folded the Discovery + Library into it.

I had Discovery + for a year and it was my least used service so I didn’t renew it.
It has only been up for 10 months, started on January 4, 2021, in those 10 month the service has become a lot better then when it started, tons more content, love Animal Planet and the Discovery shows.

There is more 4K content but Discovery+ does not make it easy to find.

My wife would kill me if I got rid of it just because of Food Network.

Last edited:
Just hit 22 million subs in just a year, average that out at $5 a sub, means at least $110 million a month now, $1.3 Billion a year, all that for a bunch of shows that already aired on Traditional Providers.

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts