TBarclay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Smyrna, GA
from Mediaweek:

Discovery, BBC World News Ink Distribution Deal

Anthony Crupi

JANUARY 25, 2006 -

In a bid to break into the U.S. television market, BBC World News has signed a long-term distribution deal with Discovery Communications.

Although no carriage deals have been brokered with cable or satellite operators, Discovery will offer BBC World News as a digital network, perhaps in the same markets that carry its Discovery Times Channel.

BBC World will handle advertising sales for the news net.

Building off the existing distribution deal it has with BBC America, Discovery recently began running promos on the Brit net, prompting viewers to call their local cable or satellite provider and ask that BBC World be added to their channel lineups. BBC America also allows subscribers to sample World News programming on weekday mornings from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and offers a daily 30-minute digest of World News fare at 6 p.m.

The announcement comes at a time when the Qatar-based Al Jazeera is struggling to line up carriage deals in the U.S. in advance of the March launch of a new English-language service.

One cable executive said that he’s seen little in the way of empirical evidence that might suggest a significant demand for an international news network, although he added that “anything’s possible if the money’s right.”

That said, Discovery thinks Americans are eager to expand their horizons. “U.S. consumers are ready for this unique news service––one that provides an impartial, global perspective on domestic and world events,” said Bill Goodwyn, president of affiliate sales and marketing at Discovery Networks U.S. “We look forward to working with our distribution partners to deliver this compelling content in a 24/7 channel.”

Discovery also pointed to a June 2004 study from the Pew Research Center that concluded that U.S. interest in international news had increased by 15 percent over 2002 levels. An earlier study from that year found that 38 percent of those surveyed said they turned to a cable news outlet as their primary source for news, up 5 percent from the same time in 2002.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Although no carriage deals have been brokered with cable or satellite operators, Discovery will offer BBC World News as a digital network, perhaps in the same markets that carry its Discovery Times Channel.

hmmm does thi mean bye bye times channel?

TBarclay

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Smyrna, GA
No, I think they just meant that it would be compatible with Discovery Times. I know a lot of people have said they would like to have BBC World on a full-time basis.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 12, 2004
I don't see any demand or interest in Al Jazeera News especially in English.

I guesss Osama's got his own news channel now?

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
mitchflorida said:
I don't see any demand or interest in Al Jazeera News especially in English.
I guesss Osama's got his own news channel now?
de;) ;) troit, san francisco, national democratic head quarters etc!!

dwcobb

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 29, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I would love to have this channel. The CNN channels are dumbing down more and more on a daily basis, and Fox is just horrible joke as far as real journalism is concerned. I can't watch it at all for the skew.

CNBC can have some good programming, but not always. And I have never warmed up to MSNBC.

I do watch BBC on PBS ocassionally and always find it refreshing to get a non-US perspective on the news of the world. There is so much going on that we just don't hear about on US news channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)