Discrete Power ON/OFF Instructions for 811/921

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Many people have written me and asked how to program the Discrete Power On / Power off when using a 811 / 921 with a universal remote.

I asked Dish Network and here is what I got back.

Enjoy!

Discrete on and off codes are useful for home theater control systems to command the receiver to a known power state. Using new Dish Network 811 / 921 IR remote , these codes can be transmitted (to “teach” learning remote control systems) using the following procedure:

1. Press and hold SAT mode button until all mode lights are on.
2. Press POWER button.
3. Press Volume Up to transmit discrete on code.
4. Press Volume Down to transmit discrete off code.

That's It!

Happy Holidays from your friends at SatelliteGuys.US!

Thanks for that Scott. I hadn't gotton around to asking that question about the 921 yet.

Will test it tonight, as the old Dish Network discrete on/off codes don't work with the 921.

Does this work on the Model 6000 or is there some other sequence or does it not have that capability? Thanks!

The model 6000 discrete IR codes are posted at www.remotecentral.com, provided by yours truly last year.

This sequence does NOT work for the 921, yet, unfortunately. It may be a planned feature, but it's not there at the moment in L1.42.

markdl said:
The model 6000 discrete IR codes are posted at www.remotecentral.com, provided by yours truly last year.

This sequence does NOT work for the 921, yet, unfortunately. It may be a planned feature, but it's not there at the moment in L1.42.

So neither the 6000 codes work, nor the key sequence on the 811 remote that Scott posted above?

During the last Tech Chat, Dave Kummer said they do descrete codes for all their receivers now, as they kow how important they are for home theater installations.

Markdl, Thank you for the link. I saw those last year but unfortunately I don't have a Pronto. I have an MX700 and I don't know how to get the hex codes into the MX-700. I was wondering if there were any keystrokes I could use to have my MX-700 learn the discrete commands from the dish remote. Thanks.

What's the chance of having discrete codes for SD/HD???
Now, that would be nice.

mikeb, have you checked www.remotecentral.com?
A quick check indicated that they have MX-700 on/off codes for dish remote addresses 1 and 2. There may be others, but I didn't look closely.

When I had looked at Remote Central. I had found there were a series of keystrokes to simulate discrete ON and OFF. It required pressing ON a couple of times and the Sys Info button. I was looking for a single ON and a single OFF as was described by Scott. Thanks.

Barryo - currently, neither the old (pre-921 and pre-811) discrete on/off codes don't work for the 921, and the sequence that Scott posted above also doesn't work on the 921.

mikeb - the old style discrete codes aren't a series of keystrokes. They are IR codes that you would learn from a single button press. As far as I know, there never was a method of using the old Dish remotes to generate those codes.

gz - I have requested that the discrete HD/SD code workaround be added in to the 921, and in addtion, once the current bugs are worked out, I'm also going to ask for several more discrete codes or code workarounds that will simplify some of the other functions as well.

mikeb - your description is what some people did before the discrete codes were added to the receivers last year. I don't believe that sequence works any longer.

Mark according to the document I received (you can see a copy of it at http://rweb.echostar.com/service/tech/12_16_03_b.pdf ) it states this should work with the 921.

If its not working can you submit a bug report. :)

Thanks for the document, Scott. That makes it a little more clear the direction E* is going with this.

mark,
thanks. I'm hoping any discrete HD/SD code for the 921 will work for the 6000 (which is what I currently have), unless the 6000 is not designed/programmed to recognize it.

Great review on the 921, looks like your weekend is spoken for.
If I recall, you are still planning on asking dish if the 921 will/can ever support HD and SD outputs simultaneously. (the only reason I'm not currently trying to get one.)

BTW, I was ecstatic when the on/off codes showed up on remote central. :D

gz - the 921 hardware doesn't support sending HD and SD feeds out simultaneously, so it's not something that's going to happen.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Many people have written me and asked how to program the Discrete Power On / Power off when using a 811 / 921 with a universal remote.

I asked Dish Network and here is what I got back.

Enjoy!

Discrete on and off codes are useful for home theater control systems to command the receiver to a known power state. Using new Dish Network 811 / 921 IR remote , these codes can be transmitted (to “teach” learning remote control systems) using the following procedure:

1. Press and hold SAT mode button until all mode lights are on.
2. Press POWER button.
3. Press Volume Up to transmit discrete on code.
4. Press Volume Down to transmit discrete off code.

That's It!

Happy Holidays from your friends at SatelliteGuys.US!

Has anyone gotten this to work? Trying to enter/learn the codes into a MX-700 with no luck.

I haven't gotton it to work yet for the 921, but I think it's a 921 issue, and have reported it as such. I've tried the procedure with the 921 remote, with the 5xx series platinum remote, and with the 6000 blue button remote. No joy with any of them and the 921.

Markdl, my MX-700 and Dish 6000 still work with the string of ON and Sys Info commands to simulate discrete ON and OFF.

mikeb said:
Markdl, my MX-700 and Dish 6000 still work with the string of ON and Sys Info commands to simulate discrete ON

What exactly do you mean by string of ON and Sys Info commands?

Thanks

For my system on macro, the macro executes: SYS INFO, wait .3 sec, PWR, wait .3 sec. ,PWR. That will always power on the dish even if it is already on. To power off: SYS INFO, wait .3 sec.,PWR. It will always turn it off.

Somewhat of a kluge but it works. I was hoping to read the hex code into ProntoEdit, make a ccf file and then use the universal browser in MXedit to create the discrete the commands. I am not a Pronto user so I have not been able to do this. The ccf I made does seem to work. I am probably doing something but I don't know what.

I just got my MX700 this past week, and I copied a 6000 CCF file from the www.remotecentral.com Pronto files section. I used the Universal Browser feature in the MX-700 Editor to drag some discrete power controls to the 811 layout on my remote. It works great with my 811, except for the LCD labels didn't work correctly. These are not macros, but Learned IR commands. You will need to change the remote's address to 2, however.

I just uploaded my MXD (811 device file) to the MX700 file section, but I'm not sure if the site administrator has gotten around to loading it yet. Check it out if you like. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)