Discussion of D*s upcoming conversion to MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice to hear it offically (again) that DirecTV will upgrade for Free everyone who is effected by the upgrade. I was right, yet again.

So what about all of us HD Directv customers that have an internal HD tuner in their TV's. Like the RCA38310? How would they go about upgrading the people with internal HD receivers?

This is NOT a slam, but needs to be said yet again IMO.

People, PLEASE stop buying and supporting all-in-one solutions, they cost you more in the long run, create compatability headaches, and generally are not of the same top quality as well researched & selected separates can be.

That being said, I really can't see D* doing anything past offering a small (SMALL) discount toward the purchase of a new MPEG4 set-top box from them, to attach to your TV.

This is good news. Great news!! More details coming soon I hope! Since I'm not in the 1st "group" maybe by the time Austin goes MPEG 4 I could have mine updated to a HD-DVR for a small fee....I'm excited & glad I'm a D* HD customer.

Barney

I am very very excited to read this and cant wait for the summer,I am in the cleveland market so I should hopefully be done soon, even still I am glad that I am with directv, Tivo, and soon to be leader in hd, this will be a great ride! finally Hd is a must have!

Comapnay fiscal years vary widely. In DTV's case their year si January 1 to December 31.

charper1 said:
Based on calendar quarters and halves, July 1 will be the first day of the 2nd half or the 3rd quarter of 2005.

* 1st Quarter - January 1 2005 through March 31 2005 (1st hafl)
* 2nd Quarter - April 1 2005 through June 30 2005 (1st half)
* 3rd Quarter - July 1 2005 through September 30 2005 (2nd half)
* 4th Quarter - October 1 2005 through December 31 2005 (2nd half)

Based on fiscal quarters and halves, that depends on the company; most companies operate as:

* 1st Quarter - October 1 2004 through December 31 2004 (1st hafl)
* 2nd Quarter - January 1 2005 through March 31 2005 (1st half)
* 3rd Quarter - April 1 2005 through June 30 2005 (2nd half)
* 4th Quarter - July 1 2005 through September 30 2005 (2nd half)

I assume that D* was talking calendar year, so 7/1/2005 begins the second half.

I've been talking to some contacts trying to get things cleared. I've been told that they have a basic HD box that will be rolled out first around mid year for Spaceway customer areas which would be the top 12 markets D* told us about. Now this would be a basic HD box so it won't be the media server or DVR. Now customers with an HD Tivo in one of those 12 markets will have to wait till end year to get the new HD local channels if they want a PVR. PVR will pretty much be the home media server and as such won't be out until closer to the end of the year. But customers in those top 12 markets who have an HD Tivo now will get a free upgrade the home media server when it comes out towards the end of the year.

Now they plan to have new national HD channels launched before the end of the year right about the sametime they actually rollout their home media server. So for customers that aren't in the top 12 markets but want the current and new national HD channels they will be allowed to choose the following below based on what they have.

If you currently have a plain HD box you will get a free upgrade to another HD box or you can choose to buy the new Home Media Server with a small discount or you can lease the new Home Media Server without upfront costs at all.

If you currently have an HD Tivo you will get a free upgrade to the new Home Media Server without any cost including upfront or lease costs. You will still pay the mirroring fees for the extra rooms like you do today and you will stop paying the DVR service fee if you don't have TC Premier. Also all new customers who want a DVR can lease the server and DirecTV will give them upto 3 client boxes as part the lease costs but customer still pays mirror fee as always. So all new customers will benefit from MRV even if they don't want it.

Hope this helps you all and if you have any questions please let me know and as always this information can and could always change at anytime.

LonghornXP said:
Now they plan to have new national HD channels launched before the end of the year right about the sametime they actually rollout their home media server.

So, basically NO new HD channels until 2005, or more likely 1Q 2006?!

~Alan

vinnyv07 said:
So what about all of us HD Directv customers that have an internal HD tuner in their TV's. Like the RCA38310? How would they go about upgrading the people with internal HD receivers?
I've got that T.V. also...guess we will have to clear a space on top of the set
for a set-top-box...will have need for for a componant/switch.

LonghornXP said:
Now they plan to have new national HD channels launched before the end of the year right about the sametime they actually rollout their home media server. So for customers that aren't in the top 12 markets but want the current and new national HD channels they will be allowed to choose the following below based on what they have.
I know what you're saying is tentative anyway, LonghornXP, but what do you mean by this statement? Does it mean something different than is already in place with national HD feeds? I kind of hope so as I would appreciate not dealing with my local stations (ABC is sketchy and CBS gives me audio problems no matter the box I have). I wouldn't care that I wouldn't have locals, as long as I could get reliable HD networks.

LonghornXP said:
Now customers with an HD Tivo in one of those 12 markets will have to wait till end year to get the new HD local channels if they want a PVR.

Riddle me this:

1) I live in the NYC DMA, therefore, my locals (at least the big 4) are available already.

2) I'd like to take the plunge on an HD Tivo.

So - what happens to those of us getting the national feeds now? Would I only be locked out until year end for any additions? (e.g. WB, UPN, etc). Would they switch the "national" feeds to MPEG4 sooner? I tend to think I'd be safe (minus the additions) through year end. True?

LonghornXP said:
If you currently have a plain HD box you will get a free upgrade to another HD box or you can choose to buy the new Home Media Server with a small discount or you can lease the new Home Media Server without upfront costs at all.

If you currently have an HD Tivo you will get a free upgrade to the new Home Media Server without any cost including upfront or lease costs. You will still pay the mirroring fees for the extra rooms like you do today and you will stop paying the DVR service fee if you don't have TC Premier. Also all new customers who want a DVR can lease the server and DirecTV will give them upto 3 client boxes as part the lease costs but customer still pays mirror fee as always. So all new customers will benefit from MRV even if they don't want it.

Does this mean that if you own the HMC you will not pay the DVR fee, but if you lease it you will? Perhaps the DVR fee will be changed to a lease fee? When E* went to lease they just renamed the mirror fee to a lease fee. It sounds here like D* is going to have both. Would there be a lease fee for just the server or for all the client boxes as well (mirror charge and lease for the clients seems like a lot)?

Also is the HMC going to become standard for new customers? Once the wireless part is in place it would make installation a ton easier and would drastically cut down on installation times, but giving away an HD DVR seems unlikely.

Thank you LongHornXP, I appreciate your info. :)

any word on where the new dish will need to be pointed? and how many outputs will be needed.. just finished the basement and ran 4 lines for the triple lnb.. guess I need to preplan now :)

Austin is #54 on the list.....got awhile to wait (which might turn out for the better)....have time for the Home Media Server to be out & check out options on the HD-DVR....

Barney

hancox said:
Riddle me this:

I live in the NYC DMA, therefore, my locals (at least the big 4) are available already.

So - what happens to those of us getting the national feeds now? Would I only be locked out until year end for any additions? (e.g. WB, UPN, etc). Would they switch the "national" feeds to MPEG4 sooner? I tend to think I'd be safe (minus the additions) through year end. True?

I have the same type of question. What is going to happen the the local national feeds once the first 12 DMAs are up & running? I am in DMA#2 but I can't get locals with an antenna. I have a regular HD box but I'd like to get the HD-DVR box at the end of the year at the discounted price if that's one of my options.

As for the mention of there being no new HD channels until closer to year end, that's dissapointing to hear. I really bought into all the talk of more channels being released after Sunday Ticket. I guess in a way they have added some channels, 96-98 for some NBA games with 97 only being available in Dallas from what I've heard. I just really thought we would have had at least TNT-HD by now & maybe ESPN2 & Starz or Cinemax, wishful thinking I suppose.

I really can't complain to much though about the HD offerings with D*. I get more HD with D* then I would with E* at this time, who knows what will happen with Voom, and my cable provider does not offer anything more HD wise than D* except I can lease a HDDVR through them right now. Taking these things into consideration still does not stop the thirst for more HD offerings through D* because I know there is some good quality stuff still out there.

My biggest concern is the recent record of STB branded with D* have considerable problems. With the change to only one MPEG4 box being available I am really concerned about the quality of this hardware. I just bought an HD Tivo a month ago in spite of the announcements for time shifting.

If I don't care about the LiL right away am I still going to be required to change boxes this year? I thought the Tivo contract was good until 2007 so could I wait? Can I still use my Tivo for OTA recording?

If I have to change do I have to send in the hardware to D*. Can I still use it for all the other non-LiL HD stuff?

So many questions and FAQ yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts