Discussion of D*s upcoming conversion to MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am more likely to believe what I read here than from any CSR. So far SatelliteGuys has not been wrong or misleading to me!

I finally got a HD Receiver yesterday and talked to three different CSR's, one to activate my box, one to add the HD package, and one to help me with my waiver to get DN feeds. The DN Eligibility CSR told me that there was still not a lot of buzz, but had heard that new equipment would be required. She advised to wait for something official, I thought she would plead the 5th, but she did indicate that there was a lot of buzz at the officed about it. The had a new offer as of yesterday, for exisiting customers, $5.99/moth for six months for the HD package.

Interestingly, she put in a waiver on my behalf for the HD feeds from NY. Is it customary for D* to do it?

bshef said:
We called CSR regarding the future Mpeg4 in relation to our $1000 HD Tivo that we purchased and if our box will then be obsolete. CSR put us on hold for 15 min to speak with a supervisor.
CSR came back to report that the current HD Tivo's will simply need (from D*) a software upgrade to decode Mpeg 4.
Additionally hearing rumors that D* will end their relationship with Tivo (when?) and then come out with their own DVR?

I'm having a hard time sifting through what is fact and what is fiction! Can't believe everything I read on the forums.

I gotta ask why you are calling a CSR about something they will obviously know nothing about? They won't know anything until 2 weeks *after* hardware is available and being installed. Just the way it is.

The only facts are in the press releases. Everything else is just rumor.

It is also a fact that there is *no way* that the current HD DirecTivo's can be made to decode MPEG4. It's just technically impossible.

no way* that the current HD DirecTivo's can be made to decode MPEG4. It's just technically impossible.
Hey Scott......I appreciate the reply...
Can you direct me to some documentation that spells this out?.....My friend who called CSR with the HD-Tivo is sold on the thought that all he needs is a software update from D* to decode mpeg4.

My Ordeal is..... I currently have a $3000 Samsung DLP sitting at home getting a SD signal from D* hooked up to a series 2 Tivo. My 1st call to CSR resulted in the typical..."you need a new dish, box and antenna for $300+/-".

I'm really itching to get HD but am hesitant because it seems all the providers are in a limbo transition period right now. Especially don't want to dish out $800 for a HD-Tivo that will be obsolete in couple years! sigh!

Without going into too much detail, the HD Tivo uses an on-board chip to decode MPEG information. This process cannot be done in software (too slow), and replacing the chip would mean a total motherboard swap. It *probably* could be done, but it isn't feasible.

bshef said:
Hey Scott......I appreciate the reply...
Can you direct me to some documentation that spells this out?.....My friend who called CSR with the HD-Tivo is sold on the thought that all he needs is a software update from D* to decode mpeg4.

Just head over to DBSForums, AVS, or the TivoCommunity where they have torn the things apart. The hardware is MPEG2 only. They do not have MPEG4 decoders. It cannot decode MPEG4 in software.

As stated about the only technical way to do it would be a motherboard swap and there is no way they would do that. It's cheaper for DirecTV to just replace the box with something new.

It ain't happening.

If you want HD now then pick up a regular (non Tivo) HD box for under $300. When the time comes you'll have something to trade in for the new MPEG4 boxes or you can sell it on e-Bay.

k.......just got off the phone with D* CSR

I signed up for HD and she gave me....
-6 mo free HD
-6 mo free showtime
-6 mo HBO for $2
-6 mo of $5 off my TC plus package
-$250 credit towards HD Tivo.......

then I asked her about the mpeg4 conversion......she reported that D* will be "footing the bill" to upgrade those of us with the HD Tivos.

beast37799 said:
i wonder if the new mpeg 4 boxes and upcomming hmc will have an ota input i sure hope so

It has been stated on other boards that they will have an ASTC (OTA) tuner. Not only that, but it will be LG's 5th Generation ASTC tuner.

~Alan

Their advertising is all well and good, but i want to see more information on what exactly they plan to broadcast for those "1500 hd channels"... The proof is in the pudding, as they say...

the 1500 HD refers to the capabilities of the satellites, and the vast majority of those will be for spot beamed network affiliate retransmission

According to D* advanced tech. support. The ts360 IS CAPABLE OF MPEG4. Rep. said that his computer indicated it was. FYI, don't know if it's true.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)