Discussion of D*s upcoming conversion to MPEG 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What will DirecTV do when they upgrade to Mpeg-4?

I just purchased a HDTV with the intention of upgrading my Tivo to the HD Tivo. Luckily, I read that DirecTV is upgrading their compression to Mpeg-4 and that the current equipment will not be compatible. The TV is great for DVDs, but without HD programming I'm not getting the full benefit. I purposefully bought a unit without a tuner because I knew it would never get any use because I have DirecTV. Rather than spend the $999 on the HD Tivo unit, I'm thinking of buying a regular HD receiver until the new hardware comes out. Has anyone heard if there will be any compensation to customers who bought the old equipment?

Thanks in advance.

There are tons of threads on this, but the gist is YES you will be taken care of and the amount of comps will ultimately be determined by your overall account standing. Many users should have zero out of pocket.

charper1 said:
There are tons of threads on this, but the gist is YES you will be taken care of and the amount of comps will ultimately be determined by your overall account standing. Many users should have zero out of pocket.

What exactly is good standing? I have auto-pay through my CC....but haven't been a customer very long. Is this a factor?

Mr. Fusion said:
I just purchased a HDTV with the intention of upgrading my Tivo to the HD Tivo. Luckily, I read that DirecTV is upgrading their compression to Mpeg-4 and that the current equipment will not be compatible. The TV is great for DVDs, but without HD programming I'm not getting the full benefit. I purposefully bought a unit without a tuner because I knew it would never get any use because I have DirecTV. Rather than spend the $999 on the HD Tivo unit, I'm thinking of buying a regular HD receiver until the new hardware comes out. Has anyone heard if there will be any compensation to customers who bought the old equipment?

Robert from Value Electronics (a member of this board) will give you a member discount and I think you can get the HD TIVO for around $850 shipped with a 5year warrenty.

I am sure he can give you the detail if you PM him...

Just joined this forum about 2 weeks ago and after putting down $1250 for a "upgraded" HD Tivo with double the HD recording 63hr and 420hr SD from Weaknees (sorry Robert) I find out it will be obsolete soon. I live near DC So I think I'm in the first round of the new upgrades. As luck would have it I have not gotten the 3lnb dish yet. Someone tell me if I should wait untill the mpeg4 upgrade and just enjoy OTA HD. My brain hurts!

Not so lucky me got a 63hr HD and 420hr SD HR10-250 from Weeknees(sorry Robert) about a month ago. Just Joined this forum a few weeks ago and found out about the mpeg4 news. Have not gotten the 3lnb dish yet, just enjoying HD OTA. Someone tell me if I should wait for the "free upgrade". I live near DC so I should be in the first round of upgrades right?? My brain hurts!

raymo721 said:
Not so lucky me got a 63hr HD and 420hr SD HR10-250 from Weeknees(sorry Robert) about a month ago. Just Joined this forum a few weeks ago and found out about the mpeg4 news. Have not gotten the 3lnb dish yet, just enjoying HD OTA. Someone tell me if I should wait for the "free upgrade". I live near DC so I should be in the first round of upgrades right?? My brain hurts!

Get the 3LNB, and go ahead and subscribe to HD. It will ensure that you DO get the upgrade offer when it comes. Besides, there is a lot you can do with your Tivo right now.

To sum up what seems plausible:
1) The Spaceway satellites will begin broadcasting HD-LIL signals in MPEG-4 for the top 12 DMAs. Subscribers in those markets who want HD-LIL will be offered a new box for little or no out-of-pocket cost, including replacing the HD Tivo with the new version.

2) NFL Sunday Ticket HD will also move onto the Spaceway satellites, with those subscribers also being offered an upgrade (this seems more like speculation, since I have not seen a press release implying this. However, see my guess #5, below. This seems likely, since D* will need to free enough bandwidth to simulcast MPEG-4 on the traditional satellites?).

3) As an inducement to move to MPEG-4, a few additional national HD channels will be added to the Spaceway satellites (e.g., Starz! HD, TNT). Regional Sports Networks might or might not be added, and these might or might not be MPEG-4 specific (e.g., like the recent YES HD add).

4) All of the current SD content on the existing satellites will largely stay the same, with some of the typicaly moving around and the odd additional channel here and there to ensure that existing MPEG-2 customers do not see any decrease in functionality during the transition.

5) The variable here is NFL-ST in HD, since this consumes a lot of bandwidth currently. If it moves, then there will be space for more channels on the existing transmission platform. Of course, this might be what is needed to start multi-casting the "normal" line-up in MPEG-4.

6) The "transition" hardware will be MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 compatible, as well as Ka and Ku compatible. The new dishes will probably be larger, and will require additional LNBs for the Ka satellites. SD subscribers may need new LNBs and/or dishes, depending upon whether/where D* can find the bandwidth for the MPEG-4 simulcast.

I think I understand the coming transition, but I do still have one question:

7) To make all of this work, my guess is that ALL HD must migrate to the Spaceway satellites to free up enough bandwidth on the existing satellites so that they can simulcast in MPEG-4 while various markets are transitioned?

However, I don't think that this will actually free-up enough bandwidth to prevent the Mk1A Total Choice subscribers from only having to do a box-swap. Even with all of the PPV and ancillary stuff moved over, my impression is that the existing satellites are still largely running at capacity. D* can always turn the crank one more time on the compression lever, but they are pushing it with SD PQ for my tastes as it currently is. Since D* budgeted something like $700 - $800 million for subscriber transition, IIRC, this seems like a box swap strategy is necessary to meet the budget with 12 million subscribers.

Later,
Bill

Thanks Bill, James, Charper1, Longhorn and all the rest. James, quess I was getting parinoid after droping so much cash on something I thought was gonna be around for a while. When I heard about the D*HD DVR I had a feeling something was up and all of you have been great helping make up my mind to go ahead and get the 3lnb dish and the HD package as Bill suggests.I think I'll be able to use the HD Tivo as a good barganing tool when the upgrade comes around. As others have already said and IMHO, You guys really do ROCK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar