Diseqc or 22khz switch For C/Ku combo LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Either my diseqc switch die or my LNB and receiver does not like it.
If giving a choice, what is the most preferable switch to use when it comes to a C/KU combo LNB, a Diseqc or a 22MHZ switch and why is it better. I am learning by leaps and bounds and taking notes.

Thank You

avenger

22KHz switches are traditionally more robust and provide more reliable switching over longer cable runs, but are limited to 2 inputs. DiSEqC switches can be easily blown but hot port connections or high current draws, but can support 2 or more inputs.

For your usage, I would suggest the reliability of a 22KHz (if the KU side of your LNBF is a Standard type). If the KU side of the C/KU is an Universal type, you will not be able to use a 22KHz switch due to Universal type LNBFs incorporating a built-in 22KHz switch for the high/low band switching.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

I am using a Bargain 6' dish a Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver, a GBOX, a PMA24 actuator and a Geosatpro CK1 LNB.

I read a thread in reference to having the Geosatpro CK1 clocked correctly, I noticed that in the picture it states "Arrow indicates LNBF UP 0 (Zero), mine was installed at 90 degrees off to the left, looking from the front of the dish. May be that is why I cannot get anything when the Diseqc switch is used online.

With this Geosatpro CK1 LNBF, is still best to use a 22KHZ switch than a Diseqc switch.

I will be using a GBOX, so it seems that a Diseqc switch is mandatory, if using the GBOX as a controller for this purpose. My mentor believes that it would be confusing for me as a newie of C/KU band to use the Fortec receiver connected to the GBOX to control the PMA24 actuator.

Any suggestions or comments on this setup is appreciated.

avenger.

Check the CK1 and determine if it is the CK1 Standard type LO) or the CK1U (Universal type LO). If CK1, I would use the 22KHz. If CK1U, then use the DiSEqC.

The skew of the LNBF would have nothing to do with the use of a DiSEqC switch.

The LNBF identification tag reads "GEOSATpro CK1" not CK1U.

The SatHawk GBOX V3000 user manual states "Compatible with all DiseqC 1.2 Receivers", there is no mention of 22MHZ at all, does this means that it will not function with the Fortec (FLU) the PMA24 actuator and a 22MHZ switch inline.

Sorry for not being too knowledgeable when it comes to working with this setup. The GBOX and the PMA24 actuator combination are all new to me.

Thanks again.

avenger

What is the LO Frequency of the CK1? 10.75GHz or 9.75/10.6GHz?

If 10.75GHz it is the Standard type. If 9.75/10.6GHz it is the Universal type.

Since the LNB that you have dosnt have a built in switch to go between c and ku!you will need a external switch.If your c\ku lnb is a standard one i would go with a 2 way 22khz switch when used will connect your receiver to the c side when the 22 khz is off and the ku when the 22khz is turned on.

What is the LO Frequency of the CK1? 10.75GHz or 9.75/10.6GHz?

If 10.75GHz it is the Standard type. If 9.75/10.6GHz it is the Universal type.

The left side of the identification stickers states 5150 MHZ, and the right side states 10750 MHZ, which makes it a Standard LNB.

I will do as stanleyjohn advices on how to connect the 22MHZ switch. Right now I have to go and make an errand, as soon as I get back to testing will report my progress.

Thanks once again to both of you.

avenger.

The left side of the identification stickers states 5150 MHZ, and the right side states 10750 MHZ, which makes it a Standard LNB.

I will do as stanleyjohn advices on how to connect the 22MHZ switch. Right now I have to go and make an errand, as soon as I get back to testing will report my progress.

Thanks once again to both of you.

avenger.

Its 22khz not megahertz! Glad to help :)

Thank You.
You are absolutely right about the 22khz, somehow I got so carried away with reading mhz from the LNB that I did not noticed that I wrote mhz instead khz for the value of the switch. It has been a long day. Will continue tomorrow with testing.

avenger.

- shameless plug *

In the FAQ section, there is a thread:
Switch setups simplified
which might give you some of the basics.

The first few posts should cover this material.
Later if you want to grow your dish farm, read a bit further for more complex setups.

* well, it's there to be used! - ;)

Thanks anole,
Very interesting ways to connect many receivers, switches and LNB together.

My question is one that I did not actually found in this thread about switches, maybe it should be in thread by it self.

I am trying to use my bargain 6' dish with a Fortec (FLU), a GBOX, a PMA24 actuator, a GEOSATpro CK1 LNB (Standard type) and a 22mhz switch.

I know that the GBOX alone can controls the PMA24 actuator which moves the dish, and that the dish with the help of the LNB scans and locks into the satellites to obtain the channels.

Now, can I use my Fortec connected to the GBOX to control the movements of the dish. I would like to have one unit doing most of the work, and use less remote controls in the process. What method is the best way to accomplish this while using the 22mhz switch for the switching between the C/KU satellites.:eek:

Thanks

avenger.

Let's see if I can make this quick 'n easy...

Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys]   
CK-1       switch           controller       receiver
                             'n motor
        |  switch    |---->|  Gbox   |---->| Fortec  |
        |            |     |         |     |         |
Ku----->| 22khz on   |     |_________|     |_________|[/FONT]
[FONT=Fixedsys]        |____________|          | 
                                |
                                |  
                                V
                           ------------
                           |          |
                           | actuator |
                           |          |
                           |__________| 
 __ 

[/FONT]

If you can use a 22k by all means use it. Most 22k switches are sturdier than diseqcs

Thanks anole for the diagram, and iceberg I started using the 22khz switch yesterday.

Somehow I did not explained myself or asked the right quetion well enough. Right now I am using the GBOX and the PMA24 actuator which is not connected to the Fortec to search for the satellites, and once I find a satellite then I use the Fortec to blindscan them.

This is simple enough, but keeping track of the GBOX count plus not knowing at what satellite am I pointing or searching to, it makes it hard to know what satellite is being blindscan and without knowing the degree is getting to be confusing.

My question is, if I connect the Fortec to the GBOX which controls the PMA24, will I be able to command the GBOX with the Fortec by using the USAL process as I was doing when using the SG2100 motor with my 36" dish. I would like to know at least at what degrees or at what satellite I will be searching for..

Any suggestion, ideas, or comments are very well welcomed.

Thank you

avenger.

I started out just using my receiver to watch programming and using the v box to move the dish and store the satellites.After getting the sats all stored on the box i know have a good idea where everthing is.I have since hooked the receiver through the v box and using diseq1.2 of the receiver to control the dish.I go to the diseq1.2 menu goto motor setting then position setting!enter the position number which is the v-box p no.stored in memory and save, then everytime i select a satallite on the receiver the dish moves to the correct position.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)