Disgusted with Billing & Technical Support

Remilk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
I have been a faithful Dish subscriber since August 1997.

Let me start off by saying, the inital problem was my fault. I am on auto-pay. My debit card was replaced and I forgot to notify Dish of the change in number. The day after the due date, on Wednesday night we received a very 'terse' voice mail saying that if we do not pay our bill (actually pre-pay for the next month) Dish will cut off my service. This was the first time in almost 10 years that we were 'late' in pre-paying. I called at 8 AM Thursday and provided the new number. Silly me, I thought all was fine.

At 8:30 AM on Thursday, my wife calls and tells me that the service just stopped on she was not getting a picture either TV. The weather at that time was clear in all directions (over 100 miles) and had been clear all night. The TVs worked fine for OTA.

The next thing was to make sure the TVS were on channel 3, which they were. Still no picture.

Before calling Dish, my wife unplugged both units for 5 minutes, then plugged them in. The both started and booted up fine. She ran the check switch routine and it showed fine. She checked the signal strength and they matched what I had recorded earlier. Still no picture.

First I called the billing department to make sure that service was not interrupted. The non-English speaking person on the phone did not understand what I meant by interrupted. She asked what was wrong. I said and I quote myself 'I have no picture from Dish, just a blank screen". she said, "well, what's wrong." I repeated myself several times. and she kept saying "well, what's wrong". I was ticked and saif "what part of 'no picture' do you not understand." I asked for and got a lead/supervisor. At least the lead spoke ENGLISH. The lead said that my service had NOT been interrupted and forwarded me to Technical Non-Support.

Again, I got a non-English speaking person for Technical Non-Support. I told them the steps I had taken as well as the current signal strength readings. This person then said, well lets now unplug your unit. Being frustrated, I said I just completed this steps. He said, just a minute, then like magic while on the phone, service just started up. I asked "was my service interrupted" and he did NOT repsond, I asked 3 more times "was my service interrupted" and he did not repsond. He just asked if I was now receiving the signal. I replied yes. I asked what happened and he refused to answer.

My wife works in credit account collections; she sees folks that owe Dish thousands of dollars for service and equipment; we go late 1 day in pre-payment, once in 10 years, and they suspend our service. I find this mind boggling.

I am totally disgusted with the Billing/Account Servicing and Technical Support.

Just my experience.

Well hate to hear that but sometimes no matter what company your dealing with you run into things like this. Overall it really depends who you get on the phone if their really helpful. But ReMike you came to the right place for help I will PM you someone that should be able to help you out. Next time request the Customer Service ID if they still refuse then just let them know that you will make note of that. :)

Last edited:
Odd that it would be a day late and you get this, Ive seen account notes where people have went as far as two months late and dish hasnt cut them off.

Until yesterday, I have had very positive experiences with Dish staff. They were very helpful for my initial install and in handling/processing all upgrades in equipment and service. Until this incident, I had never had a question or problem with billing.

The Technical Support in the past has been responsive to me, they walked me through a couple of problems such as my first reboot/check switch rerun, and they also recognized when the results indicated defective equipment (LNB, DP44 switch, and a receiver).

Also when an independent installer messed up on the upgrade, they sent a DISH employee to correct the problem.

Bob

Odd that it would be a day late and you get this, Ive seen account notes where people have went as far as two months late and dish hasnt cut them off.

I'm one of those. Never got cut off and never got a call. But did get an on-screen message saying I would be cut off soon if I didn't pay.

There's a lot not being told here. You mention multiple TVs, is it a single dual tuner powering two tvs? Or is it more than one reciever? If it's just a dual-tuner reciever, there are plenty of reasons that you may have lost some signal authorization, leading to the aforementioned black screen on both sets. Usually if your service is interrupted, you'll first get the onscreen prompts to pay your bill before they cut you off, then when you're finally out, all non-free channels will display "This is a subscription channel" message, asking for you to call to order.

On the other hand, you might be right, if you have more than one reciever and they all went out at the same time - still, it's a little odd. You need to be nearly two months behind before they'll cut you off for being late on a payment.

Just some food for thought.

remik dish didn't cut your service you should understand how the system works i am going to explain it to you ,you said that you had a blank screen you will only see the guide info on your screen when you press info this is normal from time to time dish recycles a key code which gives you video if for a reason the receiver was off it will not receive this key , when you turn on the receiver you will see only a blank screen you have to wait atleast 15 to 20 min for a new key depends when you turn on the receiver now if you press guide and you see all your subscribe channels are in red then your service has been cut , even if you see the red in the guide i suggest you wait atleast half an hour before calling dish as the receiver sometimes misses vitual info when it's off hope i explain it to you.(just tune to ch 101 and let it sit)

Remilk.
I totally understand your frustration, when you pay for a service and always pay on time and basically are a good customer, yet whatever the reason, you struggle to get the help you need.

It looks like you are sorted out, even if it was hard work to get there, I do want to thank you for posting because you reminded me i had to get my autopay card changed after my cards were replaced.

Another instance of why i support this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)