Dish 1000.2 with SW21

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I live full time in an RV. When I have a clear view of the skies from the roof of the RV, I use two King Domes to receive satellite signals for my VIP722. These domes emulate an SW21 switch when I run a check switch. When there is something in the way of the domes, I have a 1000.2 dish on a tripod. I have a couple of coax pushbutton switches to change between the roof domes and the portable dish.

Whenever I switch from one to the other, I have to perform a check switch. When connected to the domes, 38 tests are performed. When connected to the dish on a tripod, it performs 4 tests.

The 38 tests (sometimes it's 50) take quite a while to perform and sometimes I need to do it a few times before all 3 satellites appear on both tuners.

Is there something I can add to the portable dish to make it seem like it's an SW21 so I won't have to do any check switches, once I have all 3 satellites? Also, is it OK to use the coax switches or do they reduce signal strength? Is there something else I should use?

Thanks in advance.

You could use two legacy LNBs and the SW21 switch for the portable dish. Will not work with a Hopper though.

Since you already have the 1k.2 on the tripod, why not just use it all the time and stop wasting time with the switches?

The domes should have legacy lnbs in them.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
It's hard to use the dish and tripod to listen to XM radio while I'm driving.:) I don't have a Hopper because it won't work with the Kingdome. Further testing with the 2 Kingdomes shows that it has no trouble at all with 110 and 119. It tests quickly and reliably the first time. It's when I throw 129 into the mix that it struggles to successfully complete. I am still searching for a solution for all 3 sats.

You used to be able to use a Legacy twin (picks up 110 and 119) with a legacy single (for 129) using a sw-21 switch. They called it cascading. I am not sure if that is still possible with current software or not.

You used to be able to use a Legacy twin (picks up 110 and 119) with a legacy single (for 129) using a sw-21 switch. They called it cascading. I am not sure if that is still possible with current software or not.

Yup. I had such a configuration when international channels were on 61.5. I think receivers prior to the Hopper can still manipulate legacy switches and LNBs.

Timberwolf: I had that setup a year or so ago. I am not sure I gain anything by doing that and it makes for a lot of inconvenience when I want to record more than one program.

Stargazer: Can I get all three LNBs on a single dish?

I finally got both tuners to get all 3 satellites and the King Domes are actually emulating an SW64 switch. Can I just buy a physical SW64 switch and stick it in line with the 1000.2? Will the 722 recognize it as an SW64 and eliminate the need for a check switch? If I change the LNBs will it work? What do I lose with legacy LNBs?

Are there any legacy dishes/LNBs that can receive 110, 119, 129 on a single unit?

the old style 1000.2 had a different y- bracket designed for 3 individual lnbs which would work with legacy or dp

dish_1000.2_bracket.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)