dish 1000.4 technical questions

clue0000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
erie pa
I have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to answer them

Here is my situation.
I am a dish subscriber and i live in an Erie area.....My purpose for doing all of this is to get the pittsburgh locals which if have successfully done for years (i give them a pittsburgh address and i get them)

1. Does a dish 1000.4 only get HD stations.....in other words...can a 625 standard dish box that now runs off of the 110 and 119....run off of a 1000.4. Will my 625 standard work with a 1000.4

2. if i put a 1000.4 up....does that dish only pull in the 77 61.5 and 72.7......some tech isnt going to put up a 1000.4 and point it at the 110 119 and 129

3. does a 1000.4 need a dp44 switch ( i have one already wondering if i need it if i switch to the 1000.4)

Ill probably have more questions but i would appreciate it if anyone can answer these

alls i want is pittsburgh stations in hd along with all of the rest of the stations that i have been getting for years on the 110 119 and 129.

1k.4 will not work with 625. Have to have mpeg4 equip with .4. No need for a switch .4 will run up to 3 dual tuner receivers. U basically don't gain a whole lot switching from the western arc to the eastern unless ur locals r exclusively on one of the ea orbitals. Hope this helps

Matt with DISH here. Everything that nmiller6683 said is correct, so there would not be any benefit that I can see for you switching to Eastern Arc (1k.4). Pittsburgh locals are broadcast on both eastern arc and western arc at this time.

You sorta need to be specific, as of a few days ago. Now the 1000.4 can be used in the eastern OR western arc. With the new western arc LNB attached to the 1000.4, yes a k4 can grab the 110 & 119. Assuming you maybe have a high def rcvr, and want to keep your 625, your switch could be used. Keep the 110 & 119 for your sd stuff/625 and tie in whatever other orbitals you need for high def for the other rcvr. There are other ways of doing all of this, but with a switch, that is how you would do it and keep your 625.

Very true, there is indeed the 1K.4 WA and 1K.4 EA (We're still putting up 1K.2's to get rid of the stock). In my opinion, unless you plan on upgrading to HD, there's no benefit in having a 1K.4 EA (or WA for that matter) installed.

Ok....those were some what helpful....ill explain my setup.

i now have a 625 dvr upstairs running 2 tvs....i have standard tvs upstairs (no high def).............downstairs i have i high def tv and i HAD a 622 which worked great only running one tv however it is a dual tuner ofcourse.......i have had a dish with 3 lnbs 110,119, and 129. i am in an erie area and (buffalo bills area which is the whole problem......im a steelers fan) so i get the erie locals.....i called years ago and used my parents address to recieve the pittsburgh locals. pitts locals STANDARD definition are on the 129. i called a local satalite guy because i wanted to get the pitts locals in HD which i researched and learned were on the 118 satalite. The local guy put up a different dish.....not sure which one but it is a bigger dish.....(its not a 1000.4 or 1000.2) The dish he put up enabled me to have 4 lnb's on it.....i now have had for 5 months the 110,118,119 and 129. so ive had the pitts locals in HD on the 622 for 5 months.

heres where the prob started....i upgraded to that piece of crap 922 reciever.......long story short....im on my 3rd 922 reciever in 25 days(all did the same thing) and the 3rd dish tech left my house today.....basically the symptom is the dvr shuts down at night to update and wont start back up....stb reboots all the time....says it records things but really doesnt....ive been researching and dealing with the 922 issues for a month now..

the dish tech was very cool (didnt blow me in for the pittsburgh thing) but he believes he diagnosed the problem. he hit info on my pitts local HD channel and it said that it was getting it off of the 129.....now that is untrue....the standard locals are on the 129 but the HD pitts locals are on the 118. He advised me that Dish was phasing out the 118 and all of the installs being done in pittsburgh now are using the 1000.4 and hitting the 77 , 61.5 and the 72.7.

so i am willing to buy a 1000.4 for my 922.....but does that mean that i need to upgrade my 625 upstairs to a HD receiver and basically buy a high def tv also? ill do what ever i need to do to keep my setup with the pitts locals in HD.

I forgot to mention....i have the four lnbs running through a dp44 switch right now. Please direct me to the correct setup....i would actually like to speak with someone on the phone or chat if possible. thank you so much for your help guys.

to make myself clear....the tech believes that the 922 is trying to pull the locals off of the 12(standard)9 and the 118(HD) at the same time and it is causing a conflict in the reciever.....i have spent over 6 hours on the phone with dish techs and 3 have been to my house.

Makes a lot more sense now. So the best solution here would be going with a 1000.4 if you have LOS to all of the sats (72.7, 77, 61.5). If you do go to a 1000.4 the 625 will need to be upgraded since it is a MPEG-2 receiver, and the 1K.4 only supports MPEG-4. We did use the 118 sat for some of the Pittsburgh channels (HD feeds coming off 118.7 were removed 11/3).

do you concur with the tech that this could be my issue with the 922? could that be causing lots of problems even though i have a strong signal on all 4 lnb's.

actually....i caught something you said......you said that they were "removed" off of the 118.7" do you mean completely? how am i still getting them right now ( after i reboot the 922 every night) did they put them on the 129.....if they were removed from the 118...how am i getting them now

actually i just caught something that you said.............you said that the 'HD LOCALS WERE REMOVED OFF OF THE 118" then how am i still getting the pitts hd locals right now (after i reboot my 922 every night) i am still getting them....did they put them on the 129? HD i mean...not standard

I don't believe that this problem is being caused by signal, sounds more like a power issue. Also, recently we've been seeing a trend with receiver reboots when using hdmi, is there any way you can try component cables? and yes, Pittsburgh locals are on 129 or 77 right now.

i can try component cables.....how much picture quality do i lose with using that cable instead of hdmi? also ....did they move the locals off of 118 completely

i dont understand ....im not having "blackouts".....the reciever upstairs has no problem nor did the 622 ever have a problem.....i dont understand how it could be power unless im missing something

This is definitely one of those unique issues, but power issues can be caused by several thing (including the 44 switch you now have). Can you PM your account/phone number (just want to look at some of the notes on account).

matt...i tried to PM you...did you get it......also....can you answer my question about the channels you said were moved off of the 118

You could use a dish 500 aimed at the Eastern arc satellite that carries the desired HD channels and replace the 118.7 input on the DPP44 with that signal. That would allow the 625 to continue receiving the WA MPEG2 channels and the 922 to get the HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)