Dish 1000 and DP34? Possible?

dewdude420

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Manassas
Hi,

Last year when I bought my HDTV unit I was stuck with SD programming because DirecTV wouldn't give me a cheap upgrade. At the time, I had a DVR in addition to two standard receivers, and was not giving my dual-tuner TiVo goodness up. Long story short: Dish gives me a 301, 625 and 811 for nothing down if I take an 18 month lease. Now, this was fine for me, except they required THEM to install it, which, no offense to any installers on here, but I REALLY dislike installers coming into my house. They tend to not listen to you and do things how they're trained, I learned that with my first DirecT install in 1998, they drilled holes in the bizarre places, I just, didn't like the way they did it.

When I had my first system installed, the installer ran two lines of RG6 from the sat location into the house (in a really horrible looking spot, i felt like kicking that dude's butt) for a dual-tuner dish setup. Years later when i bought my own upgrades i added a 4-port sat switch to accommodate my new DVR..honest, I'm trying to make it short.

So, I get the installer from ViaSat and he inspects my setup and is pleased since all my receiver drops were all located in one central location, i did have a switch setup afterall. I believe i have a standard DishPro Quad LNBF on my dish, this installer rather than running even more wires, decided to give me a DP34 switch he had "laying around the truck". I do like the switch, it's mounted inside and has given me no problems like the SW-21's mounted outside used to.

So now Dish is using MPEG4, and I want to upgrade to the new receiver and Dish1000 system...now, I've read the Dish1000 LNB's have three coax outputs. Now, if this IS right...does this mean when the installers come, they can use the existing DP-34 switch with the Dish1000 or will I have to buy something? I do remember the work-order the installer submitted didn't mention anything about the switch and was written up as a normal quad LNBF install. So, I'm thinking these installers are going to come to set this thing up thinking there's 4 pieces of coax, but there's two. Luckily, I do have an existing cable drop that i can tap into for the third cable for the DP34.

I know this is kind of a confusing post...I've gotten quite confused when it comes to trying to figure out dish installs, it's changed in the last few years.

What I'm wondering, is with my current setup, can any installers out there give me tips of what i should buy/do to prepare the install so when they do come, all they do is hook the new dish up and new box? I haven't ordered the upgrade yet because this was my main obstacle.

In case anyone forgot how things are configured:

DP500 Quad LNBF -> two coax lines -> DP34 -> 811,301,625

Thanks in advance and hope to be watching Voom Programming and HD locals by summer.

-Jay

The DP34 switch allows three satellite inputs. All you need to do is run that third cable from the LNB (129) to the switch and you should be ready to go.

The installer can use the DP Quad on the D1000 or replace it with a DP Twin for 119 and 110. For 129 they will use the DP Dual that comes with the D1000.

ok. that's what i wanted to know. I thought the thing was a DP Plus compatible switch...but i didn't know if i'd need two lines for the additional LNB or not.

personally, i'm sill kinda stuck in old school thinking, where you had polarities and an LNB for each. Switches came out and i got confused as to how it handled polarity now a days...diseqc qnd such is too much for my head.

So, if all i have to do is run some coax and just, plug it in, excellent!

Another line, i can run, no problem. I looked today and the seal around where the cable company ran thier wire has given out and the wire i'm sure could be easily pulled through and another one run. It's no where near the existing runs, but, comes out right at the switch area, and i know how picky installers can be, so, i intend on pre-running most of it and telling them use it. I try to make it easier on them so it's practically like i'm installing things myself, they just aim the dish and all that jazz.

I do like the DP34...maybe for the simple fact that it's the first one i've had inside the house and not outside. the install told me when he gave it to me that it was a previously used unit but was stored inside. However, i did have to replace the one 59/U run on my DVR because it up and died, all at once.

Thanks for the help. This has been the one thing that'd been bugging me..because i thought that the 100 had just an extra LNB, and that for proper operation, i'd need two coax lines and such..oh why oh why did it all get so complicated from the c-band days?

But, thank you. I shall inform everyone of the results when they happen.

-Jay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts