Dish 1000+ loses signal on only one satellite of four during rain

Doppelbok67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
In the mitten
I've had a setup for two years now with a Dish 1000+ pointing to 110, 118, 119, and 129. Only in the last two weeks a problem has developed, where even in medium to light rains, signal strength on 110 drops to 0 and takes literally hours to come back in the green after the rains have gone. 118, 119, 129 meanwhile all stay in the green with great signals.

I have confirmed I have LOS on all satellites. When it's not raining I receive signals well into the green on all four satellites.

This has got me at wit's end because when a tech is here I can't demonstrate what the issue is, because it only does it in the rain, and what tech comes out in the rain? What could be causing the problem only on 110, when the other three come in fine in the rain? As I said, I have LOS on all four?

Please help! :(

I've had a setup for two years now with a Dish 1000+ pointing to 110, 118, 119, and 129. Only in the last two weeks a problem has developed, where even in medium to light rains, signal strength on 110 drops to 0 and takes literally hours to come back in the green after the rains have gone. 118, 119, 129 meanwhile all stay in the green with great signals.

I have confirmed I have LOS on all satellites. When it's not raining I receive signals well into the green on all four satellites.

This has got me at wit's end because when a tech is here I can't demonstrate what the issue is, because it only does it in the rain, and what tech comes out in the rain? What could be causing the problem only on 110, when the other three come in fine in the rain? As I said, I have LOS on all four?

Please help! :(

What is the signal strength off of 110 when there is not rain?

45 shouldn't cause any issues so it sounds like something else might be causing this. Even though we couldn't get a tech out during the rain, I still think we should send one out. If you'd like to do this please PM me your account information and I can get this setup.

Thanks, Zach, but I've already got a tech coming out today. He was out a few days ago, inspected the Dish, and told me he couldn't find any issues with it. I don't know how closely he examined the LNBs and the cable fittings, but I just wonder if that could be the problem?

Yesterday morning we had a pretty good rain going on, and I took that time to write down my signal strength settings. During the rain, 129 was 30, 119 was 43, 118 was 37, and 110 was 0 -- just plain nothing. It sure sounds to me like the connection 110 uses is where the problem lies.

Thanks, Zach, but I've already got a tech coming out today. He was out a few days ago, inspected the Dish, and told me he couldn't find any issues with it. I don't know how closely he examined the LNBs and the cable fittings, but I just wonder if that could be the problem?

Yesterday morning we had a pretty good rain going on, and I took that time to write down my signal strength settings. During the rain, 129 was 30, 119 was 43, 118 was 37, and 110 was 0 -- just plain nothing. It sure sounds to me like the connection 110 uses is where the problem lies.

I agree that it sounds like something with the connection or the actual LNBF causing this.

Stupid question, but where do you go to quickly find the signal strength numbers again?

I'll make sure those are checked. I have the Dish protection plan, so the LNBs and connections are covered if they need to be replaced, correct?

45 shouldn't cause any issues so it sounds like something else might be causing this. Even though we couldn't get a tech out during the rain, I still think we should send one out. If you'd like to do this please PM me your account information and I can get this setup.

Yes, 45 signal strength will cause issues in bad weather, if that is his signal strength with no rain. 110 Sat is relatively strong and should sit in the 65-80 range during clear weather. If I left any of my customers with a 45 signal strength on 110, I would be running a high TC12%. Get the tech who comes out to run a limit scan on all the satellites and make sure they are all within operational limits and adjust the dish if need be. I honestly do believe your dish is slightly out of alignment.

Yes, 45 signal strength will cause issues in bad weather, if that is his signal strength with no rain. 110 Sat is relatively strong and should sit in the 65-80 range during clear weather. If I left any of my customers with a 45 signal strength on 110, I would be running a high TC12%. Get the tech who comes out to run a limit scan on all the satellites and make sure they are all within operational limits and adjust the dish if need be. I honestly do believe your dish is slightly out of alignment.

I agree the signal is too low. Have a tech realign dish.

45 low for 110 in my opinion, as biggiesworth said it should be at least 63-78. However if it is out for hours and hours, sounds like possibly a foliage issue, such as when rain collects on leaves, makes the branch droop in front of the dish until it dries. Any sort of foliage in the LOS at all?

wow....

heck yeah 110 in the 40s is low low low for clear weather. Any good tech would repeak that dish right away as well as check line of sight for all 4 sats with his/her inclinometer if there was any question about los. You're just getting blown off by bad techs. And I don't know how other offices run in the rest of the country but I'm out in the rain/snow/heat/cold/whatever else everyday. Doesn't even faze me anymore. I'll peak a dish in a rainstorm...well as long as I can get some signal through the "rainfade."

Check more than one transponder on each sat. They all should be higher than that.
If you have an external switch installed, it could be a bad input port on it

Could be water in the line or as stated above it could be a tree issue. The water weighs down a branch and it take a while to spring back out of the way. Though 45 is a little low, it still shouldn't cause this issue. If you are losing signal well after the clouds (which is what causes the fade, not the rain) go away, then there is an issue with the fittings, the LNB, the switch (if you have an exterior switch) or water in the line.

I don't believe it's a tree issue. I have a pole installation in front of my house, and the only tree that could have been an issue was a small one sitting in front of the sidewalk whose top I've lopped off enough lately so that the tree is sitting lower than the tree line far in the distance. I don't have any other branches which could droop into the LOS. 110 is the highest satellite, and yet I get signals on the other three, which are lower -- none of which go out except in storm conditions, and only briefly. I wish I had one of those neat finders techs have so I don't have to guess everytime about LOS. Too bad there's no Blackberry app.

The tech is coming back today to replace the 110 LNB, hoping that is the issue. He said he already checked cable fittings and all looked good. I'll be sure to ask him to re-align the dish to the best possible angles.

Thanks again so far for all your comments!

My EA looses all signals with light rain. Normally I am well above the safe zones on 61.5 72.5 and 77 acording to the spreadsheet referenced earlier. But as soon as rain hits, all drop to zero or into the red zone. During a lul in rain last night, they tottered around 24-27. TOday, with heavy cloud cover, they are normal, as I say.

Sounds to me that the connectors at the lnbs, especially the one carrying power to the switch, might be bad. Since the dish is on the peak of the roof, I think I will put up with this until the dish is taken down during our roof repair. I want to put it in a lower spot where I can easily brush snow off it when the time comes.

I had a similar experience but with 129. Anytime it rained I would lose signal, zeroed out. Had a tech out for a repoint and all levels were about 10-15 points higher. Then it rained again and I lost signal again. Went out to the dish and looked around and noticed my crate mertyls were hanging overabout 5 feet. Trimmed the guilty branches back and had 60+ on the signal meter. I'd go out and spray things down with a hose, but do the near trees first and check the signal. Then lnb, then the switch if you can. That way you might be able to narrow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)