DISH 1000 needed for new HD upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GShirey23

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys, quick question for someone more knowledgable then myself. I recently had a DISH technician upgrade my old 811 HD receivers to the new VIP 211's which was great. BUT, after he left and I started downloading the programming on my receivers, I discovered I could only receive two satellites (119 and 110) with my current Dish 500. I only get about 8 channels of the new HD programming content. Evidently, I cant get the 61.5 HD satellite I believe. So I called a technical support number for DISH and now they tell me I can get these HD channels with the DISH 500 by simply adjusting my DISH 500 dish a little bit. I live in Pennsylvania, but my question is, will I be able to do this and still keep a decent signal on the other satellites? They tell me I dont need a DISH 1000 to adequately view all 3 satellites. Anyone know the real deal on this? I feel like I'm getting the run about and they maybe dont want to give me a free upgrade to the DISH 1000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Northwestern Pennsylvania my man, north of Pittsburgh about 70 miles.

I thought I needed another DISH but they tried to tell me I didnt and so I've already been missing out on my free 6 months of HD programming for a week.

I guess I'll call and try to talk to them again.
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry to inform you, but the dish "tech support" person you talked on the phone is an idiot. A dish500 only receives two satellites period, unless you do "mad scientist" surgery on it by attaching a third LNBF and a switch.

You need either 61.5 or 129 to get all your HD channels. This is either a Dish1000 (recommend: 1000.2, it's bigger), or a separate dish pointed at either 129 or 61.5.

Caveat: there's one way the person you talked to could have been right. You *could* adjust the dish500 to receive 119 and 129 instead of 110 and 119, but then you'd lose all the channels on 110.

hahaha.... thanks for the reply. that gave me a good laugh.

I thought it didnt all add up, but I'm new to the HD stuff and needed some professional help. and evidently they do too.

i'll have to give them a call back, thanks for the reply!

Around here we call it "CSR Roulette" - just keep calling back till you get someone with a clue.

Northwestern Pennsylvania my man, north of Pittsburgh about 70 miles.

I thought I needed another DISH but they tried to tell me I didnt and so I've already been missing out on my free 6 months of HD programming for a week.

I guess I'll call and try to talk to them again.
Thanks for the reply!

You may be able to get away with one dish. Pittsburgh is on 129.

The answer to this question would depend on whether the original poster receives Pittsburgh locals. The HD locals in Pittsburgh are on the 118 satellite, and FSN Pittsburgh and the other HD channels not on the 110 or 119 are available on both the 61.5 and 129.

I live in Erie and I guess not far from you. I was contacted by DISH and they took down both dishes and installed a 100.2 as mentioned above. I was told I didn't need 61.5 anymore nor the old 500.

they were right. One dish 1000.2 and removal of two trees, I get all the HD with one dish.

Yeah, I live in the Pittsburgh area and get their locals. I only have a DISH 500 up right now. I upgraded my receivers to the new VIP 211's and upgraded to their new HD package. And from what others have generously posted it sounds like I need a DISH 1000.2 dish on my house. Question for your guys is shouldnt DISH replace my 500 with the 1000.2 for free since I upgraded to the HD? The last time I called they tried to tell me I'd have to pay for this upgrade and I'm getting frustrated with them.

CSR's are clueless sometimes, call back and get a supervisor. Dish usually was not allowing HD package if you couldn't receive it whether due to los or current setup. This should have been explained to you when you upgraded. Something is screwy here if tech thought all the HD was on a Dish 500.

Yeah, I live in the Pittsburgh area and get their locals. I only have a DISH 500 up right now. I upgraded my receivers to the new VIP 211's and upgraded to their new HD package. And from what others have generously posted it sounds like I need a DISH 1000.2 dish on my house. Question for your guys is shouldnt DISH replace my 500 with the 1000.2 for free since I upgraded to the HD? The last time I called they tried to tell me I'd have to pay for this upgrade and I'm getting frustrated with them.

You actually need a 1000+(plus) dish not a 1000.2 because Pitt hd locals are on the 118.7 sat. Therefore you need 110,118.7, 119 and 129 or a dish 500+ for 110, 118.7 and 119 and separate dish 500 for 61.5

The current set up I have allows me to get the 110 and the 119 only. So i need to tell them i need to get the 61.5 and the 118.7 for all the HD programming? correct?

hey thanks OSU that helps man. I understand what all you guys are saying now. Thanks! hopefully, i can get this straightened out!

Really appreciate all the help

Hey guys, quick question for someone more knowledgable then myself. I recently had a DISH technician upgrade my old 811 HD receivers to the new VIP 211's which was great. BUT, after he left and I started downloading the programming on my receivers, I discovered I could only receive two satellites (119 and 110) with my current Dish 500. I only get about 8 channels of the new HD programming content. Evidently, I cant get the 61.5 HD satellite I believe. So I called a technical support number for DISH and now they tell me I can get these HD channels with the DISH 500 by simply adjusting my DISH 500 dish a little bit. I live in Pennsylvania, but my question is, will I be able to do this and still keep a decent signal on the other satellites? They tell me I dont need a DISH 1000 to adequately view all 3 satellites. Anyone know the real deal on this? I feel like I'm getting the run about and they maybe dont want to give me a free upgrade to the DISH 1000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I don't know what part of p.a you live in but you cannot receive the 129 satellite with the dish 500 you will have to get what i have a dish 500 with another dish pointing at 61.5 single LNB dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)