Dish 1000 Woes

ssnacks

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
I recently installed a Dish 1000 in anticipation of getting HD. I have a legacy 4000 receiver and purchased the legacy adapter. Oddly enough, whether I have the adapter attached or not, I receive 110 West odd and even on switch input 1 and switch input shows not connected. I removed the adapter and see the same thing in the setup. With or without the adapter installed, I run "check switch" as see 110 W odd and even and nothing else. When I run through the signal strength of the various satellites, I see "Wrong Sat - Echostar 110 W" for everything except for 110 W where is locks on appropriately. I tried both outputs of the dish and got the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

You need to reconnect your old lnbf to the system and make sure you have signal, go into the system info screen and then turn the receiver off and let it sit for 15 mins to update the software. Now if you put in a D1000 then your probably using dishpro and dishpro plus lnbfs wich are known to not work with legacy receivers unless your using a dishpro adapter to do the conversion. However I have had some problems with 2 4000 series in the last year that have not worked with the adapaters so you may need to use 3 legacy dual lnbfs on your D1000 going into a sw - 64 switch though it would be a waste of time for you and money. Best bet is to get the new receiver your looking to use and retry it all at that point.

When your going to to tune the dish 1000 in you should really tune the dish in off the 129 sat as it is your weakest signal and you want it as high as possible. With some patience you can tune in the signal at or around 80 depending on where your at in the country.

Van said:
You need to reconnect your old lnbf to the system and make sure you have signal, go into the system info screen and then turn the receiver off and let it sit for 15 mins to update the software. Now if you put in a D1000 then your probably using dishpro and dishpro plus lnbfs wich are known to not work with legacy receivers unless your using a dishpro adapter to do the conversion. However I have had some problems with 2 4000 series in the last year that have not worked with the adapaters so you may need to use 3 legacy dual lnbfs on your D1000 going into a sw - 64 switch though it would be a waste of time for you and money. Best bet is to get the new receiver your looking to use and retry it all at that point.

When your going to to tune the dish 1000 in you should really tune the dish in off the 129 sat as it is your weakest signal and you want it as high as possible. With some patience you can tune in the signal at or around 80 depending on where your at in the country.
I get some transponders at 85-90, whereas others don't get any higher than 70-75. Does it mean that if I get a transponder to almost 90, that this is as good as it gets, even though others are much lower? I mean if I can peak one transponder to the max, that is also the max for the rest?

Try watching the signal strength for 15 minutes and see if it falls off drastically over time. If it doesn't you're probably good. Around the NW you see signal strengths that might hit the 70s but then it dips down to the 30s. It seems like if it falls below 50 you lose lock.
At least that's the way mine worked

No, each transponder reads diferently in its strength so you wont ever have all transponders at the same level. For instance I have tuned in a dish 500 to get the 119 at %125 on tp 11 and gotten the same on the 110 sat on tp 13 or 2 cant remember, yet I check other tps and they are weaker or the same.

With the 129 it wont get much higher than 90 if your lucky and the rest of the tps will be close or about 12 points lower at most. I have made a habit of tuning the super dishes and the d1000 off the weakest sat signal to make sure that it is at its best to minimize any future trouble calls because of poor signal. Doing this I have now gotten a couple of the 121 signals above %100 with the 110 and 119 ranging %109 - %120 respectfully.

So if I try to tweak the 129 slot, it wouldn't matter if I chose TP11, which peaks out at 73, or chose 9 or 12, which peaks out at 91. If after tweaking around to get the best possible signal, it will be the best possible signal on ALL TP's. Then why is it recommended to check the signals on 11 & 12, if the Dish is tweaked to the max, regardless of the TP?

By the way: I got 91 signal on TP 9 and 12 on 129 as the max, when there was clear blue sky. 110 max was 93 and 119 max was 101. Today it got overcast and 129 dropped to 80 the highest, 67 the lowest. 110 and 119 remained the same. So that means 129 is a real weako.

Last edited:
ok first of all ssnacks your elevation is prob to high and to far to the left. drop it bout 2-3 degrees and turn to the right bout 4-5 deg....... now ralfyguy all a Tp is basicly the bus that cares the channels. You cant peak one Tp...... you can peak the 110 and not the 119 but then your 119 will have a lower signal strength and 129 might not even be there. So to have a good all around SS you need to give some of your 110 to get 119 and 129.

cleve_dnsc_tech said:
ok first of all ssnacks your elevation is prob to high and to far to the left. drop it bout 2-3 degrees and turn to the right bout 4-5 deg....... now ralfyguy all a Tp is basicly the bus that cares the channels. You cant peak one Tp...... you can peak the 110 and not the 119 but then your 119 will have a lower signal strength and 129 might not even be there. So to have a good all around SS you need to give some of your 110 to get 119 and 129.
Thanks for the clarification. That's what I did, and it worked out pretty good for me.

ssnacks said:
I recently installed a Dish 1000 in anticipation of getting HD. I have a legacy 4000 receiver and purchased the legacy adapter. Oddly enough, whether I have the adapter attached or not, I receive 110 West odd and even on switch input 1 and switch input shows not connected. I removed the adapter and see the same thing in the setup. With or without the adapter installed, I run "check switch" as see 110 W odd and even and nothing else. When I run through the signal strength of the various satellites, I see "Wrong Sat - Echostar 110 W" for everything except for 110 W where is locks on appropriately. I tried both outputs of the dish and got the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I'm not a DNS super tech, but here is what I would do, and why:

Legacy Twin for 110/119
Legacy dual for 129
Legacy 21
Place DPP twin and DP dual in closet for whenever you get a 622 or some other dual tuner reciever. Legacy is cheaper and more reliable, though there is no way in hell I would pay---no waste good money on a crappy 64 switch, even a new one. I trust those things about as far as I can throw one (right in the trash :D ).

Legacy receivers (at least some of them--granted I don't know what a 4000 is specifically--or if it supports the 129 location) will work with the DPP twin WITHOUT an adapter. I do not believe they can "see" the input port though. I KNOW they can't with a DP Adapter in the mix. I faced that on a service call and was directed by advanced tech to replace the DPP twin with a DP twin and install a DP34 switch for the wing dish.

If it were my house, I would have installed a seperate Dish 500 for the 129, that way you can "have your cake and eat it, too" regarding signal levels. That's just my preference. I'd rather not see you again on a service call, because that is what pays the LEAST. I'd much rather see you for an upgrade, or something that involves some real money. :devil: Seriously, why are you guys "settling" on the signal quality. You probably didn't "settle" when you bought your HDTV, did you? Get all the signal you can, you pay for it, you deserve it!

Found this on sadoun, says for legacy to work with NO adapter on a DPP twin that there must be TWO recievers connected. The only time I ever did this, it was for 2 9000 series recievers, and they read the DPP twin as a 64 switch. There is a picture of a legacy DPP check switch on page 7 of that document. I must need to update my acrobat reader. I'm getting a lot of funky random symbols in there, too.

Here is another document stating that some of the legacy recievers cannot "see" the 129, and it lists them. 4000 is on the list. Looks like the manual from a dish 1000, to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. The post got hijacked and made somewhat confusing as to who had what problem, but I still was able to decypher what was related to me.

I think that it is easier to ditch the legacy receivers rather than reconnect and re-aim the old dish. I was just hesitent to invest in more equipment if the dish was actually broken.

I guess it is conceivable that the dish may be improperly aimed, but with the elevation and tilt set, I could not image it to be pointed at the same satellite from to different LNBFs. It seems more like the built-in switch and legacy receiver are incompativle.

I am not quite sure what you mean by port 1. I tried both ports with and without the legacy adapter and see a 75 percent signal on 110 West reported on all transponders on the screen. To clarify, set the signal strength application to 119 West and it actually receives 110 West and says wrong satellite and receives a 75 percent signal. I will have to wait until the rain stops and try to adjust it.