Dish 1080P = WOW!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I downloaded Monsters VS. Aliens in dish 1080p from Dish online and WOW is all I have to say! I'm blown away by the PQ and the quality of sound this movie has put out! Being that it was downloaded over the internet I don't mind waiting a little longer for my download to complete for better pq and sound like this!

Keep up the good job! Also, you should revamp Dish online to help make it easier to find your 1080p movies. While there are a few, having a place to find them would be nice. So far the things dish is doing right out weighs any negatives but, that doesent mean you cant continue to improve the service! :up

agreed

Also, you should revamp Dish online to help make it easier to find your 1080p movies. While there are a few, having a place to find them would be nice.
It is just plain 'KLUGIE". You put in a sort and if you download an item it goes back to default and you have to repeat the sort. It isn't possible to input say start from where you were It starts over at event 1. Just a royal pain in the a**.

They probably do not compress the 1080P PPV Movies as much as they do the 720P content which makes it appear that much better.

Is the 922 receiver capable of 1080P from the satellite? Or do all the HD receivers have 1080P capability?

VOD

They probably do not compress the 1080P PPV Movies as much as they do the 720P content which makes it appear that much better.

Is the 922 receiver capable of 1080P from the satellite? Or do all the HD receivers have 1080P capability?

Only on VOD takes too much bandwidth for 1080p for the sat tps. Also there is not that much 1080p available.

I downloaded an episode of Man Vs. Food on DishOnline and it clearly looked better than the Travel Channel HD on Dish. This system is no good when compared to Comcast on demand though. It could use a lot of work in being user friendly for those less inclined to sort through thousands of titles with no clear organization.

The 1080p VOD is pretty soft compared to bluray from my experience so far. Its definitely better quality than we are receiving via satellite however.

Like others have said above, DishOnline is a complete joke. By far the worst "OnDemand" out there. Why don't downloads show up in My Recordings? Why is there zero structure? How about breaking it down into categories.

Scott needs to make sure that Dish knows DishOnline is horrible.:)

Disagree with you scooby2. I've compared several BluRays to thier 1080p VOD counterparts on Dish and there is very very little difference. This is on a professionally calibrated Pioneer Kuro 6020FD so if there were differences they would show up.

I watched Gran Torino in 1080p on Dish, and there was a clear difference between it and the BD version. The Dish version did look better than any HD on the satellite itself, however.

Disagree with you scooby2. I've compared several BluRays to thier 1080p VOD counterparts on Dish and there is very very little difference. This is on a professionally calibrated Pioneer Kuro 6020FD so if there were differences they would show up.

Thats my experience when comparing the bluray to the movie on Dish on Demand. I ran over to blockbuster and grabbed the bluray version.

The pet peeves I have with Dish On-Line (Some have already been stated):

1) Organization.
It needs to have the ability to organize by by channel, program type (Movie, Documentary, Series, Sit-Com, etc.) Right now it takes me for ever to find a program.

2) Remembering user settings.
When I do a sort and select a program for download, the menu resets and I have to start all over again. That SUCKS! It should take me back EXACTLY where I was.

3) Ability to select multiple programs at once
There are times that I want to download all the programs of a particular series. It took me for ever to find and select the programs one at a time. (WW2 in HD and Pawn Stars).

4)Selecting/maintaining "search" results. This ties into #2 and #3.
You do a search to find a set of programs, you select one program and you have to do another search for the same set of programs to get more programs. That SUCKS!

5) The programs downloaded should NOT be segregated from "my recordings". All the programs need to be in the same pool.

6) The delete program option should be active on the downloaded programs.
Right now the "Delete" button is grayed out on the program menu. When I first saw this I thought I had committed the disk space on my drive to that program until the expiration date. It was by accident that I found how to delete any DishOnline program. You have to exit the program menu to the "my downloads" menu. Select Edit and select the programs you want to delete. STUPID!

There are more nits I have to pick but these are my "top" complaints.

Tony

I compared Dish 1080p24 with the blu Ray version and the only difference I saw was price- Renting the BD from Block Buster is much less expensive and you get the extras. Sorry, Dish but your PPV, any of them, are way over priced. You are just not competitive.

Agree w/ every one of these

The pet peeves I have with Dish On-Line (Some have already been stated):

1) Organization.
It needs to have the ability to organize by by channel, program type (Movie, Documentary, Series, Sit-Com, etc.) Right now it takes me for ever to find a program.

2) Remembering user settings.
When I do a sort and select a program for download, the menu resets and I have to start all over again. That SUCKS! It should take me back EXACTLY where I was.

3) Ability to select multiple programs at once
There are times that I want to download all the programs of a particular series. It took me for ever to find and select the programs one at a time. (WW2 in HD and Pawn Stars).

4)Selecting/maintaining "search" results. This ties into #2 and #3.
You do a search to find a set of programs, you select one program and you have to do another search for the same set of programs to get more programs. That SUCKS!

5) The programs downloaded should NOT be segregated from "my recordings". All the programs need to be in the same pool.

6) The delete program option should be active on the downloaded programs.
Right now the "Delete" button is grayed out on the program menu. When I first saw this I thought I had committed the disk space on my drive to that program until the expiration date. It was by accident that I found how to delete any DishOnline program. You have to exit the program menu to the "my downloads" menu. Select Edit and select the programs you want to delete. STUPID!

There are more nits I have to pick but these are my "top" complaints.

Tony

I agree with every one of these points. I'm think maybe we should strat a new thread with the title about improving Dish online downloads.

I compared Dish 1080p24 with the blu Ray version and the only difference I saw was price- Renting the BD from Block Buster is much less expensive and you get the extras. Sorry, Dish but your PPV, any of them, are way over priced. You are just not competitive.

And the Blu-Ray has lossless audio.

I'm in the camp that the 1080p downloads are far and above typical Dish HD and look very good. Blu-Ray still does have the edge in PQ. I thought someone here was able to check the file size on a download and it was in the 9-10gb range for 1080p VOD, as compared to 20-30gb for Blu-Ray movie file.

Also, you should revamp Dish online to help make it easier to find your 1080p movies. While there are a few, having a place to find them would be nice. So far the things dish is doing right out weighs any negatives but, that doesent mean you cant continue to improve the service! :up

Aren't these 1080P movies the VOD movies listed in the guide. I just pull up the all HD guide and go to channel 501 and the movies are listed there, but the Dish online is a pain in the a## to use. It definetly needs to be sorted to be useable.

Not there

Aren't these 1080P movies the VOD movies listed in the guide. I just pull up the all HD guide and go to channel 501 and the movies are listed there, but the Dish online is a pain in the a## to use. It definetly needs to be sorted to be useable.

501 isn't there anymore HD PPV starts at 535.

No lie 4 me

Ummm yes 501 is there I see it. I see about 18 501's including a 1080p channel. SO u lie

I have checked both All Channel & All HD and neither have 501. So does being an absolute not show these channels? All channel has 500 then goes to 502, and All HD goes from 497 to 535.

I have 501 tooo but no 1080P channel. It looks like what's on those channels is what's physically downloaded onto your hard drive from the bird (on demand) So if you leave your receiver on then you wont get them as your receiver doesn't download over night.

Mine downlaods

I have 501 tooo but no 1080P channel. It looks like what's on those channels is what's physically downloaded onto your hard drive from the bird (on demand) So if you leave your receiver on then you wont get them as your receiver doesn't download over night.

Mine does the download every day at 6 AM. Time I choose since I'm very rarely up at that time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)