Dish 211K with 1000.4 EA only sees 61.5

Palma3

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
New England
Hi,

New to the forum with an on-going problem that has yet to be resolved. I have recently (last 3 months) moved from my old 110/119 dish to a new 1000.4 EA diskh. The old dish was slowly denagrating due to foliage with my view to the southwest. The new dish has a clear view to the South over a lake, unobstructed. I have had a local satellite tech in to install the new dish . He placed it on a pole on the edge of my lot where it has a clear unobstrcted view of the south.

The problem is, and has been since day one on the 1000.4, that the reciever only sees 61.5. Check Switch states that satellite input port 1 is 61.5, Trans is green and OK. Satelilite input ports 2 and 3 are showing Conn for satellit and X for Trans. All ports show device 1K.4. Status: Reception verified. Switch: DPP 1K.4

My satellite guy is puzzeled. There is no instance of the 72 or 77 when panning the horizon, slowly and methodically. He stated that 90% of the time if you get 61.5 in, the other two come in as well at some signal level, however he searched for quite a long time for 72 with no luck. I have replaced the LNB as a troubleshooting step and it demonstrates the same behavior. The dish array itself is the black model. It appears straight and true. There is a small ding at the bottom on the exterior lip, but the satellite tech said it looked fine. I have also relocated the reciever to another property that I have getting the three signals with a 1000.4 EA and it immeadiately recognized all three, so not a reciver issue.

The next troubleshooting task will be to change out the dish array when I can locate one. Is there something else to check here?

I would appreciate a concise option to try out. i have read many many forum entries and tried all the different suggestions such as cable to different ports, foil etc.

Thanks

Palma3

Did you clear the matrix, run check switch with the input coax disconnected? If it is not cleared, the receiver will only look for the sat already in it. Once cleared, cover both outside lnb's and see if you are still getting 61.5. If you are, the sat is not pointed correctly as you should be getting 72 on that one. If not, uncover the left lnb to see if 61.5 comes in. If it does, you are close, just small adjustments should be all you need. Once 72 is in on the center lnb, uncover the last lnb for 77. Let us know how you are progressing.

Ck pole for level. Ck skew. Do the foil bit or run cksw with coax disconnected then reconnect and repeat.

Thank you for your procedure. I removed the coax, ran a check switch, place foil on the stand-alone LNB and covered the exterior of the dual LNB. When the check switch was completed, I
removed power for abou a minute. Plugged it back in and let it do it's thing.

The reciever never found a single satellite. It had no signals and X's in all the boxes.

So, based on this result , you feel I am not pointing properly? I guess the next step is to cover the two outwer LNB's and try to point to 72? I am not sure what this will do over the Point Dish utility on the reciever. Have tried this numerous times with the reciever set to 72 and moving the dish to look for it, nio dice. Very frustrating...

The point dish screen is a starting point, the one thing I don't like is the numbers are rounded up or down. Try using Dishpointer.com and put in your address and type of dish (can only use 1000.4 for EA). It will give you one decimal point to give you a better idea what to set, I find it easier to get 48.2 or 48.8 as opposed to 48 or 49. Dishpointer will also give you an overhead photo of your property and visual point line to eye ball initial pointing. Also, in case it was not mentioned before, make sure the arm you dish attaches over is level. Then follow our procedure to make sure matrix is clear and then to cover both outer lnb's and point for 72.

Who is "your satellite guy"? What expertise does he have? Sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and have Dish come out if this is a legit install in the US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)