Dish 411's Now Available

Andy....
I'm in the exact same boat!!!!
I just got off the phone with E* CSR...They ended up shipping me another 811!!!
In at least 3 different places in the correspondence with them via e-mail, the word UPGRADE is seen!!! I refused the UPS shipment....which, btw, was nearly 2 weeks LATE getting here, because E* screwed up my address....:mad:
I've got the local crew coming soon to install my D* AT9 dish....maybe I can at least have SOMETHING upgraded!!!!

AndyOI said:
I'm refusing the 811 if it comes. There's no reason I should get stuck with that.
You do know that E* has a reputation for alpha testing their new receivers on existing customers!!! Peronally I would stick with the 811 for now until they get the bugs worked out of the new ones!!

juan said:
You do know that E* has a reputation for alpha testing their new receivers on existing customers!!! Peronally I would stick with the 811 for now until they get the bugs worked out of the new ones!!

Well that may be true, but I'll take those bugs over paying for an MPEG 4 receiver when the time comes. I'm paying a $100 lease fee for this new HD receiver and I surely don't want to pay it again.

AndyOI said:
I'm refusing the 811 if it comes. There's no reason I should get stuck with that.

The "vip211" that I was to have received this week just came--as an 811!!! Dish said to send it back and they will credit my account. It goes back tomorrow. I guess I wait a bit longer for an MPEG4 HD receiver to replace my 6000.:mad:

How stupid could dish be? They see that you all have 811's and said that you want to UPGRADE. Why in the hell do they send another 811? Dumb f**kers

Not stupid. Corp. Orders. Looks like all reports are 100%, 811's.
Whats goin on is, a rather huge surpluss of invntory being stuck on. Would't suprise me if they do it a 2nd time.

If you were in there shoes, how would you cover your mistakes, dumping non
factor equipment. They 're problems for overstocking. I' think we'll be hearing a lot more abou these 811's.

Have some fun write down the serial #'s. See if you get the same one again, or
ship they ship to a forum member.

What's happening in simple terms is that since the 811's are in a transitional period, all the HD receivers, save for the 942's, are being labeled "Hi-Def (Single Tuner) ..." receivers on the installation work orders your CSR or your technician is bringing. It's up to the E* regional office or distributor to send you the requested receiver.

The best solution to this is to see if E* will allow your local retailer to do the upgrade for you. We have 411's in stock and will use them very shortly as the HD receiver of choice since we kept a tight inventory on the 811's on hand. Other retailers should be in the same boat so if you can get a HD upgrade, ask E* to see if you can get it through the local retailer.

Am I correct in saying that NO ONE has gotten a 411 as an upgrade or as a new HD receiver when going through E* for the installation?

Ok talked to my local reseller he has some Dish 1000's in that I could get the upgrade for $60 bucks. I might do this due to I would like to get the VoomHD sometime. But my question is on the 411 which he has in right now I would half to pay $350 for one. Is there going to be a upgrade plan on those anytime soon??

Poke said:
Ok talked to my local reseller he has some Dish 1000's in that I could get the upgrade for $60 bucks. I might do this due to I would like to get the VoomHD sometime. But my question is on the 411 which he has in right now I would half to pay $350 for one. Is there going to be a upgrade plan on those anytime soon??
Why don't you wait for the next Charlie chat. It is on Jan. 9 at 8 or 9pm. Maybe the "Boss" comes up with something. The 811 was discounted as an upgrade when it was released.

Yeah I probally will waite see what is they half to say. My guess is they will have some kind of deal since they want folks to move over to MPEG4.

What location are the new HD locals going to be in? I am in Nashville and know that we will soon be on the list. I am asking because i currently have a D500 and 61.5.

Thanks

mruk69 said:
What location are the new HD locals going to be in? I am in Nashville and know that we will soon be on the list. I am asking because i currently have a D500 and 61.5.
Thanks
If you are in the city, you should be able to get all your locals in OTA HD with an indoor antenna now. We are in DMA 34 which is far down the "list" for HD-lil. I am 55 miles away and get fox, nbc, abc from Nashville in HD. Due to terrain obstructions, I can only get cbs HD when they increase the signal for Sunday NFL. They look great compared to E* locals in SD.

Last edited:
JH1949 said:
If you are in the city, you should be able to get all your locals in OTA HD with an indoor antenna now. We are in DMA 34 which is far down the "list" for HD-lil. I am 55 miles away and get fox, nbc, abc from Nashville in HD. Due to terrain obstructions, I can only get cbs HD when they increase the signal for Sunday NFL. They look great compared to E* locals in SD.

I am in Hendersonville. According to AntennaWeb all I need is a small multi directional antenna. However, if i did want the local HD's from Nashville, whenever they come out what directional will they be inor is that to early to predict.

Last edited:
mruk69 said:
I am in Hendersonville. According to AntennaWeb all I need is a small multi directional antenna. However, if i did want the local HD's from Nashville, whenever they come out what directional will they be inor is that to early to predict.
Rainbow 1 @ 61.5 or Echostar X @ ???

BrettTRay said:
I would give anything if Dish would give us a definite about if the new HD channels (HD locals/Voom/ESPN2) will be MPEG2 or MPEG4 before Christmas. I was planning on getting a 942 for Christmas but now after seeing the last Charlie Chat I don't know. I would hate to get the 942 and turn around and have to upgrade again in a few months.

I hate to give repeated info and have always asked and never contributed but I spoke with a dish instore rep yesterday. He said if I wait till Feb, I can get a Dish 1000 upgrade for about 60 bucks. He also said they will be changing out the 942's for a mpeg 4 tuner 622? or something like that in February. Also stated it will be available for lease instead of buy.

Honestly, I went in to change to DTV because the wife can't stand not having Lifetime. He talked me into waiting another couple of weeks. (Imagine that). Hope I contributed something here. :hungry:

Dish HD info

I have talked with both Dish and DirectTV in the last 4 days. Dish is releasing "a bunch of new HD channels" on February 1st. They ar also releasing a new MPEG4 DVR either "at the same time" or "in early March" depending upon who you talk to. I spoke with a tech today who said they would have an upgrade plan for current 508/510 users with a lease option for the new HD DVR "in February".

All I know is that I want a HD DVR that I don't want to pay $600 for.