Dish 500 110 and 119 upgrade to the old 61.5

mszumins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Connecticut
Hello,
My old man is trying to add D500 for 110 and 119 to his 61.5 and having a hell of a time trying to figure this thing out.
If there is no Dish Pro logo on the dish and it came with two SW21's does that mean that this is a Legacy setup? it came with 2 dual LNBFs.
He wants to run it all to one receiver (301). Are those switches enough or does he need anything else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The absence of any DP logo's on the dual switches leads me to believe that they are Legacy duals. With that said, the 61.5 dish you're trying to hook into ALSO needs to be a Legacy LNB in order for all 3 sats to work.

Thank you for your reply.
61.5 is about 5 years old so I think it is using Legacy LNB.
How would we have to connect it all together in order for it to work?

You will need to get a Legacy Twin to cascade the SW-21 on the 61.5. Or with two Legacy duals on the DISH 500 you can use a SW-44 cascaded with a SW-21 on the 61.5 dish,or you can use a SW-21 on the DISH 500 and purchase a SW-21X for cascading the 61.5 dish. The very first thing that you will have to do is align the DISH 500 so you have a good signal (70) or higher.

You will need to feed 110 and 110 in the the first 21 switch. And THEN! take the output of those two combined signals to another 21 switch. The second 21 switch is where you combine the 61.5 to have an aggregate of the three satellites. The output will need to be ran to a groundblock and then finally, to your 301 receiver.

Oh, in case it hasn't been said before...welcome to the site. I hope not only does this help you, but that you'll find plenty of other usefull info.

webbydude said:
You will need to feed 110 and 110 in the the first 21 switch. And THEN! take the output of those two combined signals to another 21 switch. The second 21 switch is where you combine the 61.5 to have an aggregate of the three satellites. The output will need to be ran to a groundblock and then finally, to your 301 receiver.
This will not work as you cannot cascade SW21's (an SW-21X, however, will cascade with a SW-21). Also a ground block is not required as the switches themselves serve that purpose.

Yes, you're right about the 21's cascading. Not sure what kinda crack I was smoking :p But as far as the grounding, it's still dependent on what part of the country you're in. Some localities stipulate no grounding on the switch. IMO, it's more a matter of personal preference.

As an alternative to to buying any Legacy equipment, in the long run you may be better to simply buy a DPP Twin (110 and 119) and a DP Dual (61.5). Certainly makes checkswitch runs faster. :) Brand new, the LNB's will cost a person about $65. I'm sure it can be found cheaper than that on EBay

Thank you all.
So basically we need to purchase SW-21x, right?
In order to get just the D500 going can I just hook up the 110 and 119 to the SW-21 and then to the receiver? will that work?

Thank you all once again.
we hooked up the 119 and 61.5 to SW21 for now and are waiting for the SW21x to arrive so we can hook up 110.
BTW what channels am i missing by not having 110 hooked up right now? anything good?

mszumins said:
Thank you all once again.
we hooked up the 119 and 61.5 to SW21 for now and are waiting for the SW21x to arrive so we can hook up 110.
BTW what channels am i missing by not having 110 hooked up right now? anything good?
What programming package are you subscribing to where are your locals from? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts