Dish 500 DP Plus Twin LNBF with Receiver 311 Installation

aaronb

Original poster
May 28, 2009
Midwest
Guys,

I am new to this installation thing and am having trouble understanding how it all works. Here is what I have so far:

1. Dish 500 satellite dish mounted with dp plus twin LNBF.
2. Cable DIRECTLY to receiver 311 from port 1 of the DP Plus (no switch).

I am having trouble getting a signal, so I have a few questions:

1. Do I need a switch if I am only connecting one 311 receiver?
2. Which port does the cable need to be connected to on the LNBF - port 1 or 2? From the forums, I understand the LNB in port is for if I want to connect another dish, correct?
3. I ran the check switch function on the system setup menu and it didn't find the dpp twin. Is there a reason for that? Will it not find it until after I have found the satellite signal? Can I find the satellite signal without it?

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate any input!

with dpp twin, your switch test should be 3 steps, 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3.

If you are getting a 38 step test, then you have cabling problem from receiver to LNB. First check you are connected to satellite in and not antenna/cable in on receiver. Then check all connections to ensure center wire is clean with no metal hairs wrapped around it and the center wire should stick up about 1/8" to 1/4" above top of nut. If that don't work, bring LNB in to room with receiver and connect a short wire and run test, you should get a 3 step test with conn conn x as the result. That is same result as connected LNB with no signal. When all done, you should have 119 on port 1 and 110 on port 2.

i got the same question like this. no signal and which port i need to use only for 1 DP311 receiver ?

do i need SW21 ?

thanks a lot

Hello, Matt with DISH here. When you use only a 311 and a DPP Twin, you need a cable running from "port 1" on the LNB to the "satellite in" port on the back of the receiver, (no switch is needed because you only have the 1 receiver, and DPP LNB's will automatically combine 119/110 into one cable). The coax cable needs to be RG-6 or better also. The best way to tell if you're hooked up properly is to run a check switch test (menu-6-1-1-check switch-test) and see if the test is running out of 3 (as posted above also). If the test is not going out of 3, most likely something is hooked up wrong, if the ports read "conn" after the test finishes, it is reading the equipment, but not getting signal, so the dish needs to be realigned. Awohar has great (although posted a long time ago) information posted near the top of this thread. Hope you can get it working, please post back if you need more help.

Hello Matt

Thank you for quickly responses.
i had test result for out of 3 and got 2 Conn successful. but polarity are all " blank " ,i think i got device installed correct.
so only thing i need to do are adjust the angles for AZ ,EL,SK ?

my zip code is 22032

so AZ=239
EL= 31
SK=126

is that right ? do i need to active my receiver first ? i don't think i can active my device before realign my dish.

Thanks again

dishpointer.com says 241, 31 and 53 clockwise so you're very close. Sounds like you haven't done a check switch.

Self-installing is overrated

The angles you posted are the same that show in my system for the zip code, but keep in mind that sometimes it can require a bit more tweaking to get an acceptable signal. "Conn" after the test means it is connected properly, but we can not activate the receiver if it is not getting signal (it has to receive authorization from the sat signal). From this point, the dish is going to be misaligned. I would recommend leaving the point dish screen on your TV screen, put the satellite on 119, and transponder on 19, go outside and verly slowly (and safely) move the dish until you hear signal (it will be a very annoying humming/beeping). Once you get signal on 119, you will also need to check sat 110 to make sure it is getting signal as well. FYI when you run the check switch test the results should say SAT:119/110 POLARITY: ALL/ALL.

Thank you harshness & Matt

i think i will check it and adjust it tomorrow ( it's 1:23am ) here.

actually turning dish to get right angles is tough parts for me.

i will report it if it gets work.

thank you guys and Happy New Year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)