Dish 500 how to add 61.5 for Voom HD

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK SO I have a 921 and a Dish 500. If I want the 10 new HD Voom channels I need to get a second dish for 61.5. Dish wants $100 (what a bunch of thieves) to add the second dish. My question is how many wires will be coming into my house? Will there now be 4 wires or will they put a switch up on one of the dishes to combine the signals? Or will the switch be outsite (or inside my house)? I already have 2 wites coming down from the 500 that go through a ground block then into my house, I woudl hate to bring in 2 more wires. Once they are done with all this how many receivers will I be able to drive then? I have my 2 wires now going to teh 921, but woudl love to hook back up my 501 or 4900 in another room if I can when this is done? Thanks!!

Also how do I determine where 61.5 is, I can see tha location in the sky, but not sure how high up it needs to be, I beleive 110 and 119 for me are like 38 degrees.

$100 for equipment and installation is CHEAP.

For most setups the hardware alone costs that much - let alone labor to install it.

They will probably add an external switch or two. It all depends on your current setup which you have not given us.

Use your point dish screen to get the numbers for 61.5.

Dish wants $100 (what a bunch of thieves) to add the second dish.
How dare they expect you to pay anything for equipment and installation!

Don't they hold themselves out to be satellite TV charity? Aren't their workers non-paid volunteers? Don't they get government subsidies to make the equipment?

Why do you even deal with these criminals?

Just turn them off and sign up with your local charitable cable company. That'll teach'em!

JohnDoe#2 said:

Don't they hold themselves out to be satellite TV charity? Aren't their workers non-paid volunteers? Don't they get government subsidies to make the equipment?

Just turn them off and sign up with your local charitable cable company. That'll teach'em!

Look everyone has a right to their opinion, and I know Cable is no picnic either, but Cable did not charge me to wire my neighborhood nor to run wires to my home and they don't charge me $250 just to lease their HD DVR, they also don't threaten to charge me to send someone to repair their service if it isn't working. E* charged $549 for the 921 they fought tooth and nail a few years back to replace my dish when the LNB was flakey they didn't want to replace anything. And when new technology comes out on cable it is not exclusively for new customers only!

SimpleSimon said:
$100 for equipment and installation is CHEAP.

For most setups the hardware alone costs that much - let alone labor to install it.

They will probably add an external switch or two. It all depends on your current setup which you have not given us.

Use your point dish screen to get the numbers for 61.5.

Sorry I thought it was clear in my post, I have one Dish 500 with 2 wires that go into my 921, nothing else, no switches other than what is in the Dish 500 LNB.

My only complaint is that if they are offering a free install to new customers, they should give the same thing to current customers. Why subs who have been loyal to them for many years be given less than subs who are just coming aboard and chose another company over Dish for all these years. There should always be loyalty to current customers. Who is more likely to stick with them, Voom whiners (PQ this, PQ that) or long time Dish customers? I also have a large investment in equipment-3 510's and one 921 and feel they should include me in any offers they make.

suerapp said:
My only complaint is that if they are offering a free install to new customers, they should give the same thing to current customers. Why subs who have been loyal to them for many years be given less than subs who are just coming aboard and chose another company over Dish for all these years. There should always be loyalty to current customers. Who is more likely to stick with them, Voom whiners (PQ this, PQ that) or long time Dish customers? I also have a large investment in equipment-3 510's and one 921 and feel they should include me in any offers they make.
You were a new customer once and got your installation and most of your equipment for free or at a very, very low subsidized price. If they kept giving away new stuff to old customers every time there is a new promo for new ones they would have been bankrupt & out of business a long time ago.

Even as an existing cust you can get another dish installed for a subsidized price - less than you would charge someone if you were to do it for them. And, in fact, if you want to save some money you can purchase the eqmt pretty cheaply and DIY.

Mast, reflector, polar plate, yoke $ 25.00
Two DP21 $15.00
One DP Dual or single $14.00
One installation tech $75.00
Voom channels, priceless, I mean $5.00 a month more!

rc811002 said:
Mast, reflector, polar plate, yoke $ 25.00
Two DP21 $15.00
One DP Dual or single $14.00
One installation tech $75.00
Voom channels, priceless, I mean $5.00 a month more!

I thought it was a good deal for a $100. So I did it. The 61.5 dish will be installed in the morning, unfortunately my just passed away 921's replacement will not be here until Wednesday. I be vooming soon.

It is a good deal. :) Kluken's setup is basic. Where dish gets into sincere negative dollars is when there are more than two receivers. Then a SW34 is needed and now there are 6 to 10 more failure points. Plus, if the customer is legacy, then everything is generally being switched to DP and then sometimes DP adapters are needed blah, blah, blah. Suddenly a TV does not work, why this, why that. Good for you. Sometimes we have to pay for stuff we want.

"You were a new customer once and got your installation and most of your equipment for free or at a very, very low subsidized price."

Sorry, but I have been A Dish sub a very long time. I live in a 2 story house and I paid for the initial install and the equipment, when at the time, the cable company was already hooked up in my house. I have purchased a ton of equipment and subscribe to everything they offer domestically. I feel that I should have access to all HD programming without having to pay for more equipment to receive it.

Hey guys, I was a voomer that had Dish installed 2 weeks ago and when I found out that they wanted $100 for the second dish to recieve the voom channels I remembered this thread. Free 2nd dish Called, I'm getting the second dish for my 3 missing locals for free. Guess where I'm gonna tell the installer to point it??? 61.5 I already had them upgrade my programing with the Voom for the $5/mo. extra. So now when I have the 2nd dish installed I'll be ready to go. Give it a try!

JohnDoe#2 said:

This is ridiculous, this really blindfolded reaction. :mad:

BTW I'm coming from a year-long Voom and many years long DirecTV past and I NEVER, yes, spell it: N-E-V-E-R paid for upgrades, it was always either absolutely free or only on extra 6-12 month commitment-base.
Now I also have cable and a 3-room HD setup including one HD-DVR I paid $40 because my house was absolutely disconnected long time ago (guy spent 20 minutes with wiring only, another 15 was activation ver the phone - actual install took 10 minutes or less).

mcdeeee said:
Hey guys, I was a voomer that had Dish installed 2 weeks ago and when I found out that they wanted $100 for the second dish to recieve the voom channels I remembered this thread. Free 2nd dish Called, I'm getting the second dish for my 3 missing locals for free. Guess where I'm gonna tell the installer to point it??? 61.5 I already had them upgrade my programing with the Voom for the $5/mo. extra. So now when I have the 2nd dish installed I'll be ready to go. Give it a try!

Yeah they wanted $100 then I saw this and called them back and said hey I want the 3 locals in my area that I can't get now, they said sure we'll come install a 2nd dish for free! Yippie! And those locals are on 61.5!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts