dish 500 install questions

xnakx

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Hi all My first post.
I had the dish installed professionally at my first house with 2 recievers ( one to each lnb) worked fine on 110 and 119. I moved and i am a real cheap dude, so i installed the dish my self. I mounted the mast is on my roof plumb as can be, azimuth = 154, angle = 45 and skew = 82 for my zip 95358. I am going to only operate one reviever this time so i removed the cable from the 110 lnb ( or so it is labled). I got a 123 signal from 110 (spotbeam 8) right away but no amount of tweaking so far gets me any signal from 119. I know that the coords. are a comprimise to get both birds so i screwed with the elevation and direction ( kept the skew as 82)to no aval. so i am lost on what to do next. if i have to i will call my local dealer, allthough they want to charge me 60$ to point the dish. I even moved the cable from the 119 lnb to the 110 and still no change but a few points drop on the 110 sat. as far as i can tell from other posts ppl want you to lock on 119 and then try to get 110. so what am i doing wrong.

TIA
xnakx

Try swapping the lnbf's. This will test to see if your lnbf is bad. If that does not work then check to see if there are any objects/trees blocking the signal. The mast MUST be plumb on ALL sides in order for the skew numbers to be correct as well.

There is another possibility as well. You could be receiving the 110 signal off of the 119 lnbf if the elevation is not set correctly. Make sure that the elevation is set to 45. If it is set lower than that then that is what you have done and it would need to be raised.

both lnb produce the same results. only thing in the way are a very few of my neiboors tree limbs about 17 feet away and way to the right. twigs really but i will as him to clear them and give it another try

I think Stargazer got it... Sounds like you have the 119 eye pointed at 110. therefore the opposite side is seeing clear skies... in your point dish screen do you get a "Signal... Wrong Sat" message?

when i select 199 west i get signal wrong sat
check switch tells me i have a twin and only on sat is connected

Move your dish slightly to the right while TV is displaying Point Dish Screen. Peak your Dish off the next signal to the right of current signal and do Chk Switch.

Correct. You've already found the 110, which if looking to the sky is left of the 119... move your azimuth right and you should find the 119. The 500 dish is designed so that the 110 will fall right in line if the dish is peaked off the 119.

You will have to not only move the azimuth (left to right) but also the elevation (up and down) in order to receive the 119 signal if you are receiving it from the wrong lnbf as I have stated earlier. Here is a test you can do if you are only getting 110 and not 119. Cover up each lnbf (only one at a time) with something such as tin foil until you find out which one is receiving that satellite. Facing the dish where you can read Dish500 on it you will notice that the 110 lnbf is on the left side and the 119 lnbf is on the right side. You can also tell which satellite each lnbf is picking up by reading on each side of it since it is the twin lnbf. If you put tin foil on the left side lnbf and it still got a signal then you are receiving the signal from the wrong lnbf. If you put the tin foil on the right side lnbf and it still got a signal then you are receiving the signal from the correct lnbf which means you should be looking to see what object is blocking your signal. Make sure you peak 110 as strongly as you can in this case so that you can at least see if you are getting a weak signal off of 119. Try changing transponders on 119 to see if you can pick certain ones up. Give it about three seconds on each transponder before changing it to give it time to give a reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)