Dish 500 or 1000/1000.2 to receive 61/72 EA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
As many satellite configurations that we have seen over the years, it would be nice to keep things simple for some folks. Many people have MPEG-4 receivers now and some like to go camping taking their dishes with them. Some like to have a choice of EA or WA in case of line of sight issues.

Someone told me that they took a 1000.2 and 1000.4 lnb with them to use with their dish. I am thinking that a Dish 500 with a twin lnb or 1000/1000.2 lnb should work for 61.5/72.7 EA or 110/119/129 WA? I know the spacing is a little more on EA but I have read where some have been able to get it to work. Or perhaps the new lnb for 61.5/72.7 would work on 110/119 for some folks? I know in the past when 77 was used for local channels before they were put on 61.5 that many had to use the triple lnb for EA. Now most markets are on 61.5 and don't need 77.

Dish 500 with a twin lnb works fine for 61.5/72.7, it's what I use at home. My RV has a single focus Winegard crankup dish, and I just point at 72.7 - can usually get network locals via offair antenna. Someone here did a mod where they replaced the crankup mounted dish with a D500. I was thinking of giving it a try but haven't had the time yet.

Wow, I didn't know that 61.5/72.7 worked with a Dish 500. What is the skew? I live in Texas and I don't know where you are...that would be great for LOS issues here, we only use the 1000.2 EA to get those sats and the 1000.2 EA LNB won't work with SD receivers.

You can use DishPointer with the 1000.4 EA dish settings, tuning is a little harder since the lnb spacing is different. And just a correction: the lnb's used for EA will work with an sd receiver, the sd receiver cannot decode the mpeg4 used on 72 or 77, it can get some programing off 61.5.

Wow, I didn't know that 61.5/72.7 worked with a Dish 500. What is the skew? I live in Texas and I don't know where you are...that would be great for LOS issues here, we only use the 1000.2 EA to get those sats and the 1000.2 EA LNB won't work with SD receivers.
Say what??? The issue isn't the lnb for EA. If you have an older receiver (mpg2) the issue is they won't receive mpg4 from the EA satellites.

I didn't know that the MPEG-2 receivers could receive any programming off of 61.5. What channels can it pick up?

Say what??? The issue isn't the lnb for EA. If you have an older receiver (mpg2) the issue is they won't receive mpg4 from the EA satellites.

Say what? Ghetto Boy, I don't think there are many mpeg2 receivers out there, but we don't install new ones anywhere I know of.

Dish sent down word through the FSMs that EA 1000.4 and EA 1000.2 will not work with SD equipment, software issue was the reason for EA.2 and I guess the .4.
On all installs, there are SD and MPEG4 channels received by either arc; so since one group of sats gives SD and HD and so does the other, if there is an issue with EA not working with SD receivers it shouldn't be the signal (SD or MPEG4) that is the issue. So...why the incompatability?
If you have better info than the FSMs please post how you know this.
I have not tried to install any SDs on the EAs either 1000.2 or.4 since I am not experimenting on my own time but installing on a tight schedule, ETA.
WA 1000.2 and .4 do work fine on SD receivers, so I have wondered why not the EAs.

Last edited:
Dish 500 with a twin lnb works fine for 61.5/72.7, it's what I use at home. My RV has a single focus Winegard crankup dish, and I just point at 72.7 - can usually get network locals via offair antenna. Someone here did a mod where they replaced the crankup mounted dish with a D500. I was thinking of giving it a try but haven't had the time yet.

Reading more carefully reaps it's reward.
I see after another reread that you don't use the 2 sats with a DDP Twin and a Dish 500, you just grab the 72.7 and OTA the locals.
I was discussing it in the shop this morning and someone suggested trying the same more or less skew as EA.2, at 57, maybe that might bring in the 2 sats.
I will try it sometime soon just to see what if.

Say what? Ghetto Boy, I don't think there are many mpeg2 receivers out there, but we don't install new ones anywhere I know of.

Dish sent down word through the FSMs that EA 1000.4 and EA 1000.2 will not work with SD equipment, software issue was the reason for EA.2 and I guess the .4.
On all installs, there are SD and MPEG4 channels received by either arc; so since one group of sats gives SD and HD and so does the other, if there is an issue with EA not working with SD receivers it shouldn't be the signal (SD or MPEG4) that is the issue. So...why the incompatability?
If you have better info than the FSMs please post how you know this.
I have not tried to install any SDs on the EAs either 1000.2 or.4 since I am not experimenting on my own time but installing on a tight schedule, ETA.
WA 1000.2 and .4 do work fine on SD receivers, so I have wondered why not the EAs.
Not sure why you're calling me ghetto boy when I'm trying to help... Perhaps if your posts made a little more sense I wouldn't have wasted time responding. I won't further repeat that mistake. Good Luck in the Ghetto yourself!

If you want ease for camping and the ability to switch between both WA and EA try to get your hands and the new 1000.2 EA/WA dish assembly and lnbs. may not get your locals dependent on if your locals market utilizes both setups or not we are able to use both in our Pittsburgh locals market and as far as i know and have seen mpeg 4 is the only equipment that will work with EA

For those that get their HD locals on EA 61.5 and their SD locals on WA 129, an lnb that picks up three oribital locations would have to be needed unless you could do without 110 then you could get away with a twin lnb.

There's still quite a few MPEG-2 receivers on the market. I wonder what the percentage is on MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4.

Fewer and fewer day by day.
I was thinking we were discussing HD receivers, but I can see the audience is ready to catch any small detail less than perfect.
You got some points there, good for you!

EA are not used for SD per Dishnet instructions, and I only work for them. Not run the company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)