Dish 500 Plus to 1000.4 Conversion Kit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I have a 500+ that I`d like to convert to a 1000.4 configuration. I know that there is a conversion kit as specified in the 1000.4 Installation Manual.
Where can I purchase this kit?? I`ve tried Sadoun and can`t seem to find a vendor who carries this kit. Has any forum member made this conversion and can offer comments on ease of assembly and alignment?

i have not seen a 500+ to 1000.4 kit as they do not exist !

You can take a 1000.4 WA or EA lnb and yolk and install it on a 500+ to get 119,110,129 (WA) or 77,72,61 (EA)

I have a 500+ that I`d like to convert to a 1000.4 configuration. I know that there is a conversion kit as specified in the 1000.4 Installation Manual.
Where can I purchase this kit?? I`ve tried Sadoun and can`t seem to find a vendor who carries this kit. Has any forum member made this conversion and can offer comments on ease of assembly and alignment?
That "conversion" would be a complete replacement of the antenna and mast (different diameters as mentioned on this site).

There is a conversion from 500+ to 1000+ that adds the third LNB: Just a bracket and a DishPro single or dual LNB. I couldn't find any kits with a quick web search so you may need to purchase separately.

Depending on what you have for a switch right now you may also need to upgrade the switch to at least a DPP33 if you don't need 118 or a DPP44 if you need all 4 satellites. Both about $50 street price for new.

Here's the bracket part of the conversion:
NEW DISH NETWORK 129 BRACKET FOR DP 500+/1000+ LNBF HDTV | eBay

Then you need a DishPro dual or single LNB about $40 new.

So it may be less expensive to buy an new 1000.4. This comes in a Western arc and Eastern arc version. Saw one on eBay for $60 new.

I installed a 1000+ back when the original 129 satellite had low signal. It made a big difference over my 1000 (not a .2 or .4). If you don't need to upgrade the switch, adding the 129 LNB is the least expense.

If you switch to a 1000.4 you'll need to replace the entire antenna, mast and foot as the mast diameters are different. a 1000.2 is the same mast diameter and might be worth consideration.

Thanks kwindrim - I wasn`t aware that the mast diameter for the 1000.4 was larger. I have a tile roof so changing masts is not a simple matter.
I`ll probably be better off just getting the 1000.2 as I would need a switch, bracket and lnb which would cost as much or pehaps
more than a complete 1000.2 dish.

Mast diameters for the 1000.x are the same as the 500/500+ unless I'm missing something. I use the extended mast for the 500+ on occasion if I need the extra height for one of the other dishes.

This is easily done if you have the parts available. You use any plus dish and skew plate, use the 1.4 arm and lnb bracket and 1.4 or 1.2 lnb. remove any switch you currently have in the system as the new lnb the switch is part of it. In all honesty imo the signal strengths aren't much better than using a standard 1.4 dish.

Now `m really confused. Two posts in this thread differ on the mast diameter. The previous post indicates the 1000.4 mast is the same as the 500+ (1 5/8") while kwindrim states that a larger diameter ( 2.0") mast is required. Can someone set us straight on this???

save your self the problems read my original post and replace the lnb & yolk.
if the dish is pointed at 118 alredy and you dont bump the dish when putting on new parts you have a 80% chance it will all line up after the lnb swap.

Now `m really confused. Two posts in this thread differ on the mast diameter. The previous post indicates the 1000.4 mast is the same as the 500+ (1 5/8") while kwindrim states that a larger diameter ( 2.0") mast is required. Can someone set us straight on this???
Dish 1000.4, 27.8"w x 22.3"h, 1-5/8"
Plus Dish, 30.9"w x 23.8"h, 1-5/8"

From EKB: Dish Types, info compiled from the TechPortal when it was available.

Yep, in the beginning there was supposed to be a conversion kit, but it never materialized. I bought a 1000.4 EA when they first hit the market, and had an existing 1000+. I switched out the .4 joke and skew plate with the + dish, giving me a 1000.5. Short of buying a complete 1k.4 from someone, you'd need to convince a tech or retailer to give you a few parts from their inventory.

Is there a reason that you don't want Dish to install it for you? I think the parts needed would come close if not exceed the $95 for a tech visit. If you complain enough that yor not getting all the HD that you are subscribed to, you may be able to talk them into doing it free. You would have a 2 year commitment.

I have a tile roof and don`t want anyone climbing around on it. I have DTV Slimline, Dish 500+ and Shaw Direct dishes
mounted and aligned. I want the Dish to receive 110, 119 & 129 thus my questions about the 1000.4 mast diameter.

Check with one of the DIR-Team and see if you can specify a non-roof mount installation. I wouldn't want anyone mucking around with a tile roof either. I see a number of pole mount dishes. Also some mounted to sides of buildings. It all depends on LOS.

Dish has a mount for tile roofs now. have never used one because pretty much everything here is shingle, but they are available.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don`t need another mast. The one currently holding the 500+ dish is plumb in both directions and will be used to mount the 1000.2 or hopefully the 1000.4 WA if I can just be sure that the 1000.4 will accept the 1 5/8" diameter. I keep ketting contradictory information on the mast diameter for the 1000.4 dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts