DISH 500 Wing Dish for 129?

bschulte

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
SW Illinois
Hi, I recently joined DISH after suffering through Charter Cable's "customer service" for several years. I have an Eastern Arc install with a DISH 1000.4 and a 722k HDDVR box. Everything is working well, but I learned that some of the RSNs in the Multi-Sports Pack have their HD signal on 129. I'm interested in getting a DISH 500 wing dish to aim at 129 to get those western RSNs in HD. I've successfully pointed a DISH 500 at a friend's house before to hit 110 and 119, but I have a few questions:

1) After I purchase a DISH 500 on eBay, what LNB will I need to get to hit 129? Obviously since I'm only aiming at one satellite, I should only need a single LNB, correct? Suggestions here on the specific LNB would be appreciated.

2) After I get the DISH mounted, I should run the coax from the DISH 500 LNB to the fourth or "LNB In" connection on the DISH 1000.4, correct?

3) Is there any way to aim the wing dish at 129 rather than 110 or 119 successfully without using an expensive satellite strength meter? Any tips here would be GREATLY appreciated, since I know getting a good signal is important so that there are no dropouts due to rain.

4) After hooking up the wing dish to the 1000.4, do I then run a check switch? Are there any things to worry about when seeing both 61.5 and 129? Which satellite takes precedence when the same channel is on both in HD? I'm thinking the receiver handles these issues and I'm worrying about something which is out of my control, but I figured I'd ask.

5) Anything else I need to do which I might be forgetting?

Before you go through all of that did you verify your RSN is not on 61.5 and only on 129? Check TheList link in my signature.

Before you go through all of that did you verify your RSN is not on 61.5 and only on 129? Check TheList link in my signature.

digiblur, my RSN is Fox Sports Midwest, which is on 61.5 in HD. However, since I'm a college football/basketball nut with the Multi-Sports Pack, I want all of the RSNs which are on 129-only in HD. For instance, with my current setup, I can't get Fox Sports West and other western RSNs in HD since those HD channels are on 129. I'd like those HD channels to be able to view as many college football/basketball games in HD as possible.

Go to the Dish Store, site sponsor and buy a dish 500 w/"I" adapter and a Dish Pro Dual LNB.

With both 129 and 61.5 you may have some problems with timers firing on the best satellite.

boba nailed it. You don't "need" an "expensive" satellite finder; I have a $10 analog meter that I got from Sadoun (also a site sponsor). But if you have another person at the house, you can use the Point Dish screen, pick 129 from the list, and use that to dial-in your wing dish.

If you don't really know what you're doing, I'd disconnect the separator from your receiver and run a single length of coax from Sat1 input to the new wing dish, do a check switch, and dial 129 in that way. Then reconnect the separator and your 1000.4, run the wing dish into the LNB IN of your 1000.4, and then do a check switch to finalize the installation.

Thanks for the tips guys, including the equipment needed. I'm 95% sure I know enough to get 129 based on your directions. If all else fails I'll do the coax straight to SAT1 method.

EDIT: One question on the LNB. I tried to find a "Dual LNB" at The Dish Store and I couldn't find any. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that "Dual" is NOT the same as "Twin". Which LNB do I need and if a Dual is not available at the Dish Store, where else is it available?

Thanks for the tips guys, including the equipment needed. I'm 95% sure I know enough to get 129 based on your directions. If all else fails I'll do the coax straight to SAT1 method.

EDIT: One question on the LNB. I tried to find a "Dual LNB" at The Dish Store and I couldn't find any. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that "Dual" is NOT the same as "Twin". Which LNB do I need and if a Dual is not available at the Dish Store, where else is it available?
Here is what you are looking for at DishStore. It is a little pricey compared to Ebay though. I would consider this from ebay and just add an I-adapter.

voyager6 you do realize that eBay bargin won't work it is LEGACY not Dish Pro so it is an incompatible bargin.
The listing doesn't say that it is legacy but the SW21 switches probably indicate that it is. Here is another listing. I was only trying to show the OP that he didn't really need a new dish just a D500, DP Dual and an I-adapter.

You might try Craigs list for a used dish (cheap) or sometimes free, then buy your single LNB and I adapter.

Not a bad idea. I think a even know a few people who still have DISH 500 dishes attached to their homes but who no longer subscribe to DISH. I might go around and see if anyone wants to giver theirs up if I take the DISH down for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)